Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powers & Irish Times Short Story Comp

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 anyon?

any more news on this? Didn't they say they would be adding to the longlist on a daily basis? It all seems a bit messy... or maybe i'm just bitter because i'm not on the list! Yet, anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Madammoiselle

anyon? wrote: »
    any more news on this? Didn't they say they would be adding to the longlist on a daily basis? It all seems a bit messy... or maybe i'm just bitter because i'm not on the list! Yet, anyway...

Not a tap of news on the subject. No update of the blog either today. They did say they would be adding to the longlist on a daily basis but that didn't happen. The last time they added 5 or 6 new lists rather than adding them one day at a time.
    The next time there's an update it will be to add the short list I would imagine.
    But here I am speculating again, we will just have to wait and see.
    Perhaps we will have news today at some stage. Fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

It's been nearly a week since they posted any new sections to the long list. I'm not sure why the message is still up there at this stage.

I doubt they will post the short list on the website until it has been published in the IT on Saturday.

It would be nice, though, if they clarified on the website whether the longlisting is finished and when and how the short list will be initially announced.

Any new information about the whole thing would be nice at this stage!
    It would be very nice to know what is going on & what their 'plan' is.

I agree. They went very suddenly from being really buzzy and informative to dead silence. Kind of an anti climax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 MOONlit

Its almost feels like they have lost the plot (ha ha) like as if those 2 words - short list - on a long list or whatever, crashed their whole system for judging etc. OMG have they had to start the process all over again ? aghhhhhhhhhhhh.
    Next thing they'll ask contestants to rewrite and resubmit!
    must stay calm must stay calm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

My guess is that they have the longlist of a few hundred semi-passable stories, and which judge is now reading all of them, and they will then rank them or vote on them. Reading that many stories without wanting to poke your eyes out will take time.

EileenG wrote: »
    My guess is that they have the longlist of a few hundred semi-passable stories, and which judge is now reading all of them, and they will then rank them or vote on them. Reading that many stories without wanting to poke your eyes out will take time.

It seems very late in the day for the judges to be still ploughing through several hundred stories. I would have thought the short list would be ready by now for submission to the Irish Times magazine and the winner chosen and photographed looking all thrillled!

MOONlit wrote: »
    Its almost feels like they have lost the plot (ha ha) like as if those 2 words - short list - on a long list or whatever, crashed their whole system for judging etc. OMG have they had to start the process all over again ? aghhhhhhhhhhhh.
    Next thing they'll ask contestants to rewrite and resubmit!
    must stay calm must stay calm

Yes, longlist 17 seems to have triggered a deafening silence from the short story team. In fairness, it was just a human error which they dealt with quickly and I doubt many people even noticed. I don't know why they've effectively abandoned the website since.

Did anyone contact the Irish times to ask what's happening or is that too bold?

• Advertisement

Did anyone contact the Irish times to ask what's happening or is that too bold?

It would be brilliant if somebody did. I don't want to because I contacted them before to query longlist 17 so I don't want them thinking 'that bloody pest'. But if anyone does, please post an update on here.

Well orna mulcahy used to mention it on twitter (isnt she one of the judges or?) As of early May she wrote 'still reading and shortlisting' type thing. Im not on twitter but I was able to see that by googling. Maybe she has stopped talking about it too!

13 days ago, she tweeted, #powers short story competition - still reading and short listing.
    Nothing since!

So they had started short listing 13 days ago? They must have the list complete by now then.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They have the longlist, shortlist & the winner already I'd say.
    Just a matter of keeping it to the dates they have previously stated now.
    Probably a small update tmrw, with the short list & winner published in IT mag on sat.
    A whole feature of the winning story & winner sat 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DermoLogical

It would be brilliant if somebody did. I don't want to because I contacted them before to query longlist 17 so I don't want them thinking 'that bloody pest'. But if anyone does, please post an update on here.

I just sent the following to enquiries@irishtimes.com:
    "Hello,
    There is a lot of speculation on boards.ie (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056592487&page=15) about the status of the Long List, Short List and Winners announcement for the Powers Short Story Competition. The Long List was last updated a while back, but still shows “Check back soon – the longlist continues“. A post titled Short List was briefly available, but then disappeared.
    Can you shed any light?
    Thanks and regards"

Cool! Hopefully you will get a reply real soon. :-)

They have the longlist, shortlist & the winner already I'd say.
    Just a matter of keeping it to the dates they have previously stated now.
    Probably a small update tmrw, with the short list & winner published in IT mag on sat.
    A whole feature of the winning story & winner sat 26th.

If its really true, that when you are content, the writing dries up, then Id say, if we were to sit down now and write something, in such a wound up state of mind, then we'd be up for the booker. Eileen would win it with her incendiary 'poke your eyes out' metaphor.
    Anyways im off to Lithuania tomorow for a few days, no ipod, no laptop, no memory.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

MOONlit wrote: »
    Eileen would win it with her incendiary 'poke your eyes out' metaphor.

Thanks. I think.

• Advertisement

Yep. Made me realize with a start, what an awful job that must be - to read through hundreds and hundreds of stories. 6 Judges for 6 age groups ? Even with their own staff, Im sure they understimated it all ,and they kept encouraging folk to write write write.
    Jeez we might be looking at June.

June?! Haha. Na, I think they will meet their deadlines.
    Hopefully we will have some news today....

• Registered Users Posts: 25 tis a fine line

I just sent the following to enquiries@irishtimes.com:
    "Hello,
    There is a lot of speculation on boards.ie (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056592487&page=15) about the status of the Long List, Short List and Winners announcement for the Powers Short Story Competition. The Long List was last updated a while back, but still shows “Check back soon – the longlist continues“. A post titled Short List was briefly available, but then disappeared.
    Can you shed any light?
    Thanks and regards"

Hey thanks for doing that :)

Hopefully we'll hear something soon.

According to my calculations of 4200 stories X 450 words = 1,890,000 words / 7 judges = 270,000 words each.

Would that be roughly equivalent to 3 novels??

-Yes, i know... :o I've too much time on my hands!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JoJo35

On the Powers FB page they say the winner will be announced on the 26th May, so not this Saturday. Kind of makes sense when you think about the "3 novels" each judge had to read, then for them to reach agreement and then to meet the print deadlines of the paper.
    Some great stories in there, I'm not feeling too confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Chocolate Chip

The standard is really high isn't it? I hope they leave them up online for a while so I can get through them all.

How exciting. The 26th is it so. (still hope)

Blog has been updated finally!
    Short list is being announced on sat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 anyon?

So presumably this means that there's the 16 lists that make up the longlist, and no more to come? Disappointing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Delgado88

Thats curtains for a lot of us so; good luck anyone whose name is on the blog :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Chocolate Chip

Yes I read it that way too, it looks like that's it so.
    I just read through the whole list again and I'm definitely not there. Booo. I'm very dissapointed. (just for today though)

best of luck everyone else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 tis a fine line

:(

Noooooooooo!!!

Is that the end of the long list? :eek:

I didn't make it -Boo!

Ah well, there's always next year :)

I'll be rooting for one of our Boardsies to win :p

The very Best of Luck to you all, and congrats for being Longlisted ;)

Advertisement