Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Paczini wrote: »
    Im soooo glad that I'm still getting my grant via the old system. Last year I waited less than 3 weeks to get my grant application reviewed for the second year :)

I have NO idea how long it's going to take to get my grant and I can't move up to Maynooth with having my grant first, because genuinely, my parents can't afford it and I don't want to put them under any more financial pressure. Just hope i'll have it before semester 2 and I can manage to find a house somewhere :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Paczini wrote: »
    Im soooo glad that I'm still getting my grant via the old system. Last year I waited less than 3 weeks to get my grant application reviewed for the second year :)

Same. Though they did a reassessment on mine this year. So much paperwork to find.

Did anyone on here ever successfully get a Student loan? I remember going to the Credit Union, My bank and my parents bank in August and I couldn't get a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

I got student loans every year I was in college - I didn't get a grant, so needed them to pay the fees. I had a job, though. My parents went guarantor for me.
    I know lots of people got loans for college.

How so Joe wrote: »
    I got student loans every year I was in college - I didn't get a grant, so needed them to pay the fees. I had a job, though. My parents went guarantor for me.
    I know lots of people got loans for college.

Really? There might be hope yet! I have no job, genuinely can't get one, so i'll have to look at getting a loan again next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I had two 3K loans in my student times. With a guarantor it'll be no problem getting one, they don't expect you to guarantee it yourself at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I have no idea how the grant system works, but I just submitted my application - does anyone know how long it'll be before I find out if I'm eligible?

I submitted my grant application in July of last year and my grant was approved and paid in January of this year, so it took quite a while. I think they're hoping for it to run more smoothly this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Studying for these repeats is killing me and I've hit such a downturn. Can not bring myself to work hard, and worst is I still have one of the difficult maths to go. (not saying the other 2 aren't but significantly less stressful and far easier to pick up) I need some motivation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

ACCOMMODATION FOR WORK SORTED OUT :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Same. Though they did a reassessment on mine this year. So much paperwork to find.
    They are reassessing mine every year :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

The SUSI website is such a balls. Slow as feck. I'm applying even though as a postgrad I'll get no actual money, just 2000 of my fees paid. So have to take out a loan as well. Ask to speak to the student finance officer in your bank PictureFrame and they will let you know about applying for one, I'd say there'd be no issue?

marko93 wrote: »
    I need some motivation.

Repeating externally/internally.
    Loads of time to do nothing except study maths (boring as ****)/2000 euro and loads of time to do nothing except study maths+doing assignments going to tutorials.
    It's Hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Loads of time to do nothing except study maths (boring as ****)/2000 euro and loads of time to do nothing except study maths+doing assignments going to tutorials.
    It's Hell!

I would firmly agree avoid repeating the year AT ALL COSTS !! (even if it does come to kidnapping your lecturer and holding them ransom for your grade)

It's Hell!

2 grand? **** that, what if it was only 2 modules of Maths?

SUPER productive day! And now I lay me down to sleep.

Seriously, if it's 2 grand for a few modules I'll be busting out the Moka Pot and have my coffee directly infused to my system... Time to go balls to the wall, pedal to the metal, hell for leather. No ****ing way am I paying 2g for that. Considering myself Scaredavated(feck you I can be witty)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Looking at the timetable website they say the timetables should be available around mid-August (~3 weeks). Are they usually released that early? I can't remember when they were released last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Looking at the timetable website they say the timetables should be available around mid-August (~3 weeks). Are they usually released that early? I can't remember when they were released last year.
    General timetables are released early enough, it's just Student Timetable that's not released till September. I remember two years ago I checked my timetable as soon as the Leaving Cert results were out cause I knew I got in. :)

marko93 wrote: »
    Seriously, if it's 2 grand for a few modules I'll be busting out the Moka Pot and have my coffee directly infused to my system... Time to go balls to the wall, pedal to the metal, hell for leather. No ****ing way am I paying 2g for that. Considering myself Scaredavated(feck you I can be witty)

Yeah 2000 for internally, not 100% on that but I'm pretty sure.

Just out of curiosity how does the SU get all those ents posters etc around the place, do they have an army of minions or what ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Yes, yes they do. Little yellow ones, called Kevin, and so on and so forth.

No, they have an ents crew, of students.

Trailing around campus putting up posters takes forever.

How so Joe wrote: »
    Yes, yes they do. Little yellow ones, called Kevin, and so on and so forth.

No, they have an ents crew, of students.

Ah I see never knew the college was that sophisticated , I'd always just assumed it was some sorry ents officer and as many people they could pay off with pints.... :o

Do said ents crew get paid ? Or do they just really like paper and blue/thumb tacks ?

( Can't believe after 3 years I've never met little yellow Kevin and his mates DEVASTATED!!!! :p)

Out of interest, how much should one expect to be emergency taxed when their former employer has yet to get them their P45?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Thwip! wrote: »
    Out of interest, how much should one expect to be emergency taxed when their former employer has yet to get them their P45?

Info here:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/emergency-basis.html

TheBody wrote: »

Oh my head is far too tired to comprehend that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

It means that for the emergency tax works on a sliding scale. The first 4 weeks you get 1/52 of your regular credits. After 4 weeks you pay more tax. After another 4 you pay even more.

In summary, try to get the P45 ASAP. You can ask your employer to put you on a "week 1 basis" in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Perhaps all you need to understand is that emergency tax causes emergencies. Numerous yonks ago my previous employer was being a dick so I went directly to the tax office and they helped me get it sorted quickly. Whenever I wanted to get my finances sorted they were very helpful. Whenever they owed me money from overtaxing me... not so helpful.

So basically, Thwip! has no pay this week :/

GOD-DAMMIT PREVIOUS EMPLOYER WHO I CANNOT NAME FOR POSSIBLE LIBEL REASONS FROM DOING SO!

• Advertisement

Also reading that I should contact my local tax office to get a new tax credit certificate if I fail to receive my P45....I've moved out of county for my new job....so is it the local tax office from back home or the one for my new home?

*Quite possibly a very silly question*

Advertisement