Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Is the second part asking about the evolution to Dinosaurs and how they became the dominant reptile for that era?

"Describe the origin of reptiles and outline, with examples their radiation during the mesozoic era"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

marko93 wrote: »
    Is the second part asking about the evolution to Dinosaurs and how they became the dominant reptile for that era?

"Describe the origin of reptiles and outline, with examples their radiation during the mesozoic era"

I think it's more to do with species diversification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

PAC application status changed!

Hah! You ain't gettin rid of me, suckas!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Wouldn't mind getting the 'auld timetable soon lads, so I can go about fixing this bad old sleeping habit i've gotten myself into the last few months :pac:

Wouldn't mind getting the 'auld timetable soon lads, so I can go about fixing this bad old sleeping habit i've gotten myself into the last few months :pac:

True that, gave up the coffee myself.
    Mad how much it actually helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I got my grant in June but didn't get it in July, is there any chance I'll get it in August?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

€1 (or is it €2) hot choclate! *drools*
    Main reason I decided to go back to college tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Have a serious craving for the Art Block's (also a machine in Loftus Halls) Hot Chocolate now. It is an integral part of the Maynooth experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

I completely forgot about the timetable till now! Im just starting to enjoy myself now! :mad:

True that, gave up the coffee myself.
    Mad how much it actually helps.

I cannot give up my Maxwell House.. I CANNOT
    I got my grant in June but didn't get it in July, is there any chance I'll get it in August?

Don't the grants only get paid 9 months a year? From October to June like?
    Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Have a serious craving for the Art Block's (also a machine in Loftus Halls) Hot Chocolate now. It is an integral part of the Maynooth experience.

I'VE NEVER HAD. Clearly been wasting my time in college this year
    Paczini wrote: »
    I completely forgot about the timetable till now! Im just starting to enjoy myself now! :mad:

I'm just curious what time i'll have to wake up at. Genuinely hate having lectures after 1pm. UGHH. I'd love 9-1 4 days a week (and a day off plz). I'm in 2nd Psych so hours are anything but extreme if i'm told correctly!

• Advertisement

Last exam.

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more"

At this point I've accepted college as it may come. If i bottled 1st year and had to repeat I'll make the most of that year. All will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

OK so I seen the gym is free and not the biggest does that mean its usually really busy all day every day?

Also, anyone got any idea of the timetable for 1st year Law?! Even a rough idea would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

OK so I seen the gym is free and not the biggest does that mean its usually really busy all day every day?

Also, anyone got any idea of the timetable for 1st year Law?! Even a rough idea would be great.

If you go at peak times (5-7) it will be jammed, same as every gym in the country. Otherwise its pretty ok. I like to go early in the morning, 8 o clock but during term time you'll get caught with teams training in there. They take up the entire place so if you want to get into the free weights room you are better waiting until the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

If you go at peak times (5-7) it will be jammed, same as every gym in the country. Otherwise its pretty ok. I like to go early in the morning, 8 o clock but during term time you'll get caught with teams training in there. They take up the entire place so if you want to get into the free weights room you are better waiting until the evening.

Thanks.

Have you been to the new fitness center in the hotel just up from the square? Seen some photos and it looks pretty decent. Any idea on price for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

marko93 wrote: »
    Last exam.

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more"

At this point I've accepted college as it may come. If i bottled 1st year and had to repeat I'll make the most of that year. All will be fine.

Best of luck man. How'd it go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

The absolute stress of grants lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Thanks.

Have you been to the new fitness center in the hotel just up from the square? Seen some photos and it looks pretty decent. Any idea on price for it?

Yeah I've been. It's nice alright and they've a pool. When I went it was 100 for three months student. Didn't check the annual rate. Not bad, the non student rate is 150 for three months.

Thanks.

What's this hotel called? I'd be interested in starting a proper training regime in September! Is there a pool there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

What's this hotel called? I'd be interested in starting a proper training regime in September! Is there a pool there?

Glenroyal and yep theres a pool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Does anyone know what the story is with CA/Labs in Computer Science if you're repeating. I'm repeating 5 modules internally and as such have to sit the labs, but I won't be registering until the 2nd week of term so I *might* not have access.
    Do you end up just emailing assignments in or does anyone know?

Or who should I even ask in this regards?
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

Does anyone know what the story is with CA/Labs in Computer Science if you're repeating. I'm repeating 5 modules internally and as such have to sit the labs, but I won't be registering until the 2nd week of term so I *might* not have access.
    Do you end up just emailing assignments in or does anyone know?

Or who should I even ask in this regards?
    :pac:

Can always login to the cs lab machines using the general username, if you need to save stuff just have a usb stick to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Built4this

Hey,
    Any advice on the following would be appreciated:

I've just finished 2nd year Law & Arts and ended up having to repeat 2 law modules last week.
    One was from Semester 1 and the other from Semester 2. As it turns out, a majority of students in the year failed these modules (got less than 40) but passed them overall via compensation as their average was above 40 for all the other law modules.
    When I got my results, I rang the Registrars office and asked why I didn't pass mine by compensation? I was told that because I got less than 25 in one of the modules, it prevented me from compensating any modules below 40 from that subject. I was sickened as I got 39 in one and 24 in the other (so close) and my average including those failed modules was well over the 40, so had I got 1% more to bring me up to 25, I wouldn't have had to resit those exams.

Anyway, I sat my 2 repeat exams. One went grand, however I'm a bit worried about the other one. What I want to find out is whether 'pass by compensation' applies in the repeat exams? (It would be reassuring if nothing else!) ... I've read the Marks & Standards document but I can't find any info regarding compensating grades in repeat exams. Can anyone here bring me out of the dark? Cheers for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Depends. Call the Registrar's Office to see if you can compensate from other exams periods, or whether your ability to pass by compensation is restricted to the August repeat period.

Cheers banquo,
    I tried calling them earlier but the line was ringing out.
    I'll try again throughout the day but I just wanted to post here in case someone knows the score.

Fbjm wrote: »
    Best of luck man. How'd it go?

2 essays I studied came up. Now depending on how well I regurgitated them I'm unsure. Hopeful for a pass. All I really wanted!

Hey,
    I got through to the Examinations office and was told that passing by compensation does apply in the repeat exams.
    Therefore, you can pass a module (provided it isn't a required module) if you attain at least 25 in the repeat and have an average of 40 for all modules associated with that subject in that year. They told me that it doesn't matter what semester your repeat exam is from, if it needs to be compensated, they weigh it up against all your modules from both semesters.

Built4this wrote: »
    Hey,
    I got through to the Examinations office and was told that passing by compensation does apply in the repeat exams.
    Therefore, you can pass a module (provided it isn't a required module) if you attain at least 25 in the repeat and have an average of 40 for all modules associated with that subject in that year. They told me that it doesn't matter what semester your repeat exam is from, if it needs to be compensated, they weigh it up against all your modules from both semesters.

Good man yourself, you'll be grand. I have a feeling you're Built4this :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Hi, first post here as an incoming first year whos very confident that her points are sufficient for getting a place in the college for this incoming year *takes breath* :p

Might be a silly question but whats mobile phone signal like in Maynooth? Just asking as Im with 3 and although where I live atm I have perfect signal I know not everywhere has and Im wondering if this is gonna cause problems down the line?
    Also I know theres loads of threads to talk about accommodation but Im really worried about this random draw thing on Monday and not getting a spot on campus, like how would I even start to look so late in the year for somewhere else??

deise_girl wrote: »
    Hi, first post here as an incoming first year whos very confident that her points are sufficient for getting a place in the college for this incoming year *takes breath* :p

Might be a silly question but whats mobile phone signal like in Maynooth? Just asking as Im with 3 and although where I live atm I have perfect signal I know not everywhere has and Im wondering if this is gonna cause problems down the line?
    Also I know theres loads of threads to talk about accommodation but Im really worried about this random draw thing on Monday and not getting a spot on campus, like how would I even start to look so late in the year for somewhere else??

Hey, welcome aboard. Head over to the know your maynoothians thread and make a post. :)http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057014595

The phone signal here is grand, I'm a Dub so I'm used to having no problems and Maynooth is as good as anywhere for signal. As for the accommodation, if the random draw doesn't work out I'd advise either checking out daft.ie, or asking any of your mates who're coming here if they've a spare room for rent.

Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement

deise_girl wrote: »

Reception is generally fine. Ionthas isn't always that great(meteor user) and Long Corridor can be awful.

I'm sure you'll be able to find accommodation, just get down to Maynooth and the On Campus living have a list I believe of available houses and what not.

Advertisement