Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pope's chair

Options
  • 30-03-2012 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭

Going off a rough estimation the Pope could sell his chair and feed 80,000 African children for 10 years. Given that the bible says that you should sell your possessions and give to the poor why doesn't he?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

GarIT wrote: »
    Going off a rough estimation the Pope could sell his chair and feed 80,000 African children for 10 years. Given that the bible says that you should sell your possessions and give to the poor why doesn't he?

He loves that chair! He'd fight you for it.

Seriously though. Feeding Africans isn't really as important as 'spreading the message' (increasing followers) or bringing in cash. Followers = £££££'s

How much is the chair worth (with a source)?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I remember reading it was €100 million, it must have been a decent source or else I would have just dismissed it, but I have no source. Even if it was €10 million he could still save 8,000 lives with it.

I just found out that in a 1994 audit the church had 410 billion in
    cash, 479 billion in stocks and bonds, 29 billion in gold, and 470
    billion in fixed assets - investments and real-estate thats in lira, but the catholic church could do a lot of work if it wanted to put its own money into charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I heard it has a magical sweet dispenser that only ever gives you red and purple Starbursts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

billion in fixed assets - investments and real-estate thats in lira, but the catholic church could do a lot of work if it wanted to put its own money into charity.

That makes me want to vomit considering I got an envlope for my "parish dues" the other day. Outrageous. :mad:

That makes me want to vomit considering I got an envlope for my "parish dues" the other day. Outrageous. :mad:

With the translation into euros you can half the money in lira and its about right, I just noticed with inflation you can multiply the value of the gold and the fixed assets by 8 to get its modern day value.

I read an article where the church moaned that they made a loss of €13,500,000 in 2007 but thats only €13.5 million. Fair enough they spent more money than they received but a 13 million loss is nothing to having 3,000 billion that they are doing nothing with. The church could pay off Ireland's national debit 30 times and still have billions left over. Writing out the amount just amazes me, I can't believe that the Catholic church has €3,000,000,000,000 that they wont do anything with.

Even if they keep up their losses next year they could have €29,999,986,500. It's like when your playing a computer game any yo do an infinite money cheat, you can spend all day and see it going down but you know it will never run out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Source?

Amtmann wrote: »
    Source?

I can't find the original source but here it is on Google answers, and if you search for "Catholic church assets" you will find it referenced in a good few places so I presume it is true if many people were talking about it then.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=54617

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭beerbuddy

billion in fixed assets - investments and real-estate thats in lira, but the catholic church could do a lot of work if it wanted to put its own money into charity.[/QUOs

sorry but google answers dosent count for much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

i wish they bought manutd

beerbuddy wrote: »
    sorry but google answers dosent count for much.

Yeah but if you read around that audit is mentioned in loads of places, even in some news paper articles although the amounts aren't mentioned it must have happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Amtmann wrote: »
    Source?

http://www.zenit.org/article-1900?l=english This seems to backup the stats.....

For the eighth consecutive year, the operating statement for fiscal year 2000 for the Holy See closes with a net gain of 17.720 billion, equal to $8,516,000 US at the exchange rate at the end of the year of 2,080.89 lire per dollar. The total expenses were 404.378 billion and the total income was 422.098 billion. Compared with the previous fiscal year, the income was more substantial, having increased by 64 billion. As is easily imaginable, the increase in expenses is strictly related to the celebration of the Jubilee Year, which brought with it greater activity, and therefore a greater need for personnel, within the various offices of the Roman Curia and also of the media organs connected with the Holy See.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

He loves that chair! He'd fight you for it.

It's worth fighting for. How would he speak ex cathedra without it? It's what gives him is magic infallibility powers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Rome may be rich but every diocese in Ireland is expected to manage themselves afaik
    There is no funding from Rome that I've heard of.
    Our parish contributes to maintain the Church and when the graveyard needed expansion a farmer donated the land, it wasn't bought and paid for.

Some dioceses [no clue how to spell it] are doing ok but I remember reading last year that Dublin was going broke.

Could this be the first case of rural Ireland subsidizing Dublin?
    With taxes it's usually the other way around :)

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Rome may be rich but every diocese in Ireland is expected to manage themselves afaik
    Our parish contributes to maintain the Church and when the graveyard needed expansion a farmer donated the land, it wasn't bought and paid for.

Some dioceses [no clue how to spell it] are doing ok but I remember reading last year that Dublin was going broke.

Could this be the first case of rural Ireland subsidizing Dublin?
    With taxes it's usually the other way around :)

The Vatican sets budgets for all the diocese but I'm not sure how that works either. There should be funding from Rome for any struggling. From the way I see it, financially worldwide the church is struggling except in Rome where they are filthy rich and don't care about anyone even their own. A point I made earlier maybe on another thread is that every parish does fundraising for itself as well as for charity, and they do that on their own, the Vatican is sitting on top of billions of euro and will do nothing with it. I'm not a believer but most of the parishes do great work, its Rome that's the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

Anyone that doubts the wealth of the Catholic Church should take a stroll around St Peter's one day.

My visit helped me not want to be a Catholic. For me, the whole place seemed evil. Full of priceless artwork and dripping with gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

"The Golden Throne is a massive cybernetic life support mechanism utilizing ancient advanced biomechanical technology that possesses the ability to amplify psychic abilities. The Throne was modified by the Adeptus Mechanicus under the direction of the Emperor of Mankind following the end of the Horus Heresy during the Battle of Terra and now sustains his mortally crippled body's life functions. Even as the Emperor's slowly rotting physical form sits inert within the Golden Throne, his mind remains active in the Warp, directing the beacon of the Astronomican that makes interstellar Warp travel possible in the Imperium and combating the enemies of humanity within the Immaterium. The Golden Throne is located on Terra, deep within the continent-spanning complex of the Imperial Palace, specifically in the area where the Himalaya Mountains once towered. The Golden Throne is located in a deep subterranean chamber at the heart of the Imperial Palace, the so-called Sanctum Imperialis, built under what was once Mount Everest. It is a huge, baroque cybernetic life support system that maintains the life functions of the nearly-comatose body of the Emperor following his mortal wounding at the end of the Horus Heresy. As the 41st Millennium drew to a close in what many pessimistic Imperial historians have begun to call the Imperium of Man's Time of Ending, the Adepts of the Mechanicus discovered to their horror that the Golden Throne's mechanisms were slowly failing and that they now lacked the knowledge of how to repair its technology. Unless something is done, the Golden Throne will eventually malfunction and the Emperor of Mankind will die, surrendering his spirit to the Warp and throwing all of Mankind into darkness once more -- or setting the stage for humanity's final salvation."
    http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Golden_Throne

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... you will find it referenced in a good few places so I presume it is true if many people were talking about it then....
    Ah isn't that lovely though, such a simple faith in the power of repetition and the Internet. A sun reader as well, no doubt and an avid ad-consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

mathepac wrote: »
    Ah isn't that lovely though, such a simple faith in the power of repetition and the Internet. A sun reader as well, no doubt and an avid ad-consumer.

As opposed to repeating words from the Bible? Which lets face it, is about as good as the Sun.

In other words, what you're basically saying is this:
    "I can't form a coherent argument against the evidence you have shown me, so instead I'll resort to minor insults."

• Advertisement

Its hilarious how you try to make fun of me believing a source that is found in many places yet you believe a book that in reality you have no idea who wrote it, when or why.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Sonics2k wrote: »
    As opposed to repeating words from the Bible? Which lets face it, is about as good as the Sun....
    I don't remember quoting or repeating any words from the Bible, but if you and your little acolyte who constantly thanks your posts say so then obviously I must have - the power of repetition reinforcing each others' posts maybe?
    ... In other words, what you're basically saying is this: "I can't form a coherent argument against the evidence you have shown me, so instead I'll resort to minor insults."
    No what I'm basically saying (or typing more correctly) is what I typed in my OP, nothing more and nothing less. By the way I can't remember any evidence that you have presented to me that I have found it necessary to argue against.
    Its hilarious how you try to make fun of me believing a source that is found in many places yet you believe a book that in reality you have no idea who wrote it, when or why.
    Actually you do a great job making fun of yourself; you are not in need of help from me on that front.

Can you explain to me in English waht book you refer to?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I don't remember quoting or repeating any words from the Bible, but if you and your little acolyte who constantly thanks your posts say so then obviously I must have - the power of repetition reinforcing each others' posts maybe?
    Did I say you did? It was a general statement about how quickly the religious will quote from the Bible, which is as a fact, a work of fiction clouded in mythology and fantasy.

As for the comment about 'constantly' thanking my post, I think the one above may be the only one, then again, I don't really pay attention to such matters. Are they that important to you?
    No what I'm basically saying (or typing more correctly) is what I typed in my OP, nothing more and nothing less. By the way I can't remember any evidence that you have presented to me that I have found it necessary to argue against.
    Actually you do a great job making fun of yourself; you are not in need of help from me on that front.

GarIT was asked to provide a source, and openly said all he could find then and there was a link to a Google document, which also had links to various other sources. Which is exactly what he was asked for. It was provided, and you quickly dismissed it.

How is this in any way complicated?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

The thread title sounds like some version of a 'King's Chair'. (when you get carried around by your mates).

Besides the chair, how much would his HAT fetch at auction? Elvis' 'blue suede shoes' went up for auction recently. The pope could sell signed t-shirts and end poverty. Seriously though, he could.

As opposed to repeating words from the Bible? Which lets face it, is about as good as the Sun....
    ... In other words, what you're basically saying is this: "I can't form a coherent argument against the evidence you have shown me, so instead I'll resort to minor insults."

Can you explain to me in English waht book you refer to?

You thank a post that was helpful to you that's how it works isn't it, and the book I was refering to is the bible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Our parish contributes to maintain the Church .......

The Vatican has always sucked in money from the faithful around the world, never the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

springfielduniversitychair_thumb.png?w=506&h=760

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Lads, cut out the handbags.
    Sarky wrote: »
    I heard it has a magical sweet dispenser that only ever gives you red and purple Starbursts Opel Fruits.
    Also, fyp. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Dades wrote: »
    Sarky wrote: »
    I heard it has a magical sweet dispenser that only ever gives you red and purple Starbursts Opel Opal Fruits.

Also, fyp. :)

fyfp;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I was trying to appeal to a younger generation. I guess that was a mistake :pac:

Advertisement