Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Robbo wrote: »
    I was behind a truck loaded with pontoons headed down the docks yesterday.

Those pontoons are in place behind the lifeboat station today, they are the new landing stages for liners which anchor out and passengers are ferried in by the ships own boats. Great job and should make it very safe for passengers going ashore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Chicken1 wrote: »
    Those pontoons are in place behind the lifeboat station today, they are the new landing stages for liners which anchor out and passengers are ferried in by the ships own boats. Great job and should make it very safe for passengers going ashore.

They're in place today I think (half of them were in yesterday and they were beginning to lower the walkway)

Along the Dock Rd, the vertical rails are being put in place today for extra pontoons, my hope is that they're putting extra pontoons for leisure craft and the Volvo's will be positioned the same as they were last time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭yer man!

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    any sign on work for the pedestrian bridges?
    Are these going ahead? I saw the map of the volvo race global village and docks and there's no mention of any bridegs apart from the spanish arch bridge as an access point.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Check out today's Galway Indo, loads of info on the race and what's happening.

Yup the orginal bridges aren't going ahead, there'll only be one now, from spanish arch to claddagh basin. I'm guessing the people who rented stansin the village aren't going to be happy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

yer man! wrote: »
    Yup the orginal bridges aren't going ahead, there'll only be one now, from spanish arch to claddagh basin. I'm guessing the people who rented stansin the village aren't going to be happy...

I doubt it'd make much difference. It appears that the majority of the entertainment is going to be over at South Park, so that's where people will probably hang out a lot of the time. People will of course spend time roaming around the Docks looking at boats etc. but come evening (entertainment!) time people will be over at South Park.

Personally I loved the buzz of having everything focused around the Docks last time, but I guess it makes more logistical sense to have things spread out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

yer man! wrote: »
    saw that, all of a sudden the global village looks very off the beaten path.

still, if the weather is in it it may not make much difference

The Docks, South Park, Salthill, Eyre Square and the Spanish Arch will all host events during the race festival and, speaking about an earlier proposal to erect two pedestrian bridges linking the Race Village at the Docks to the Global Village in South Park, Mr Killeen explained that a bridge linking Nimmo’s Pier to Long Walk would cost an additional €350,000 and that sponsorship for it could not be obtained. A single bridge will now link the Spanish Arch to Claddagh Basin.
    The bridge will be stewarded during the day and closed at night and Mr Killeen offered assurances to concerned councillors at Monday’s meeting that South Park would be secured at night so as to deter would-be late night revellers during the festival. He also assured councillors that public toilet facilities in the area would be adequate.

This is from the galway independent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I observe the Council are distributing flowerboxes on roads throughout town again this year. Wonder who 'won' that tender and how much it costs the taxpayer.

snubbleste wrote: »
    I observe the Council are distributing flowerboxes on roads throughout town again this year. Wonder who 'won' that tender and how much it costs the taxpayer.
    i'm no fan of the council, but this has got to be the lamest pettiest complaint about them i have ever heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Fairly pathetic alright - with all the spending that will happen in Galway over the event the tax payer will be well paid back. Cheer up snubbleste!

Well apparently they cost €150 per box for six months (2009 prices). That does not include maintenance, installation, removal etc.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/9217-end-flower-show-200-boxes-go?mini=all_news/2010/1/all&

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Installation and maintenance was looked after by council workers as part of their normal duties.

€150/box for six months sounds reasonable tbh, they give a bit more colour to the area. Only €5.76 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Well apparently they cost €150 per box for six months (2009 prices). That does not include maintenance, installation, removal etc.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/9217-end-flower-show-200-boxes-go?mini=all_news/2010/1/all&

So 25euro a month are you seriously complaining about this or just on a windup? This is a fantastic opportunity to put Galway in the media etc and there will be far more complaints if galway isnt looking its absolute best.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Looks like we'll have an Occupation on our hands.

Words fail.

Gordon Bennett!

Occupy a job you *****!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

According to Galway Co Co Twitter :

"Volvo footbridge en route through city on large truck."

Route:
    Dublin Rd,
    Moneenageisha,
    Sean Mulvoy Rd,
    Quincentennial bridge,
    Seamus Quirke Rd,
    Western Distributor Rd,
    Ballymoneen rd,
    Barna Rd,
    Knocknacarra Rd,
    Salthill Prom,
    Grattan Rd,
    Nimmo's Pier

Any pics please post! :)

I see the bridge is taking the sightseeing route :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

According to their facebook page the Air Corps will do an Air Display at Salthill on Saturday 7th.

I am fully aware of the fact. Note the accompanying smilie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I see the bridge is taking the sightseeing route :cool:

http://www.water.galwaycity.ie/gccmapconnect/showDatasearchmax.aspx

Any idea why it could not go via Threadneedle Road? Perhaps it was to severe a descent on Threadneedle Road to risk it with a heavy load?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

http://www.water.galwaycity.ie/gccmapconnect/showDatasearchmax.aspx

Any idea why it could not go via Threadneedle Road? Perhaps it was to severe a descent on Threadneedle Road to risk it with a heavy load?
    You'd have a hell of a job getting an artic of that size to negotiate the mini-roundabout at Seapoint if you'd come down Threadneedle road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Trucks outside now. There's about three, each with one piece of the bridge. Another is at Nimo's. Some kind of raft in the water, too. They look kind of... dull and dirty to be honest. We'll see! I'll *try* upload a picture of two!

Edit: They've begun putting them in!

Not very good photos but...
    https://p.twimg.com/AvXKaJmCQAEopSZ.jpg (bad voom on an iPod!)
    https://p.twimg.com/AvXK07sCMAI1_de.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cappichino

Can anyone tell me if there is an age limit for the free music .I have a 15 year old and no point in going if he's asked for ID by stewards .Anyone remember how it was last time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Cool photo; Phil Harmer ducks the constant waves, crashing over Groupama Sailing Team whilst they perform manoeuvres during leg 7 of the Volvo Ocean Race 2011-12, between Miami and Lisbon

LEG-7---Volvo-Ocean-Race--016.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

cappichino wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if there is an age limit for the free music .I have a 15 year old and no point in going if he's asked for ID by stewards .Anyone remember how it was last time?

There's no age limit as far as i remember.There were families beside us at the music most nights with kids that looked around 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

They're currently enclosing a part of South Park with wire mesh fences. They seem to be cutting off the rugby pitch and the one beside it (ie, not the gaelic field or the soccer field).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Camper (NZ) plowing through rough seas at breakneck speed and being knocked down in the bay of Biscay yesterday, in the south of the low pressure system which is bringing us the bad weather at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

Robbo wrote: »
    Looks like we'll have an Occupation on our hands.

Words fail.

Somebody had better let Big Padraig know, he won't be long getting rid of those clowns this time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement