Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 martin kelly.

Cant wait for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭R0UF

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Am I the only one worried that it was so great last time it will be impossible to top and since it's the final stage it will draw in more of a bad crowd like the races.

I'd be worried about this aswell. Same with the Film Fleadh and Arts Festival. They both draw / have drawn a lot of undesirbales into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My "worry" is that the VOR's success won't be as great as the previous one coz of weather. Fingers crossed it's a scorcher again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrVoracious

Anyone know if the closing ceremony will be any good? I kinda have to choose between it and the in port race as to which one to go to :(

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Mars Bar wrote: »
    My "worry" is that the VOR's success won't be as great as the previous one coz of weather. Fingers crossed it's a scorcher again this year.
    I know it's cynical of me to say but I believe the weather was responsible for the majority of the success of the last VOR. If a ****e band setup a stage in Salthill on a fine Saturday afternoon / evening for a free gig it would gather a good crowd / atmosphere. It has always been this way in Galway, bring out the fine weather & free street entertainment & Galwegians will provide the rest.

Imagine "race village" the last time, how many people would honestly have stood in the pissing rain listening to Crystal Swing or wanding around stalls spending money. Less than 10% IMO.

I am massively looking forward to the VOR this year, but can only hope we have the weather to carry it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This proposal (Volvo Ocean Race Galway Finale) will involve a series of events comprising and including boating displays, concerts, trade exhibitions, children’s activities, fireworks display, ice rink, global village, temporary pedestrian bridges, temporary funfair equipment, promotional events and other related projects

There'll be an ice rink..in the middle of the summer like!

As its a bit different this time around (final leg etc) which weekend would people think is best for someone to visit. I will be around both weekends myself but I have a friend who wants to come and he is trying to chose a weekend.

I think the first weekend could possibly be better but I'm not sure. I just think there might be more of a buzz around.

What do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I'm really looking forward to this, great event last time, no reason to believe it won't be a great event again..... i only have one reservation and it's only partially weather related.

After a few days heavy rain, how confident will you guys be to cross a raging corrib on a temporary footbridge? At first when i heard it i thought "cool!", but i was out running by nimmo's pier and the claddagh the other morning and it's way further across than you imagine in your head.

Gave me a dose of the walnut sack just thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

McTigs wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to this, great event last time, no reason to believe it won't be a great event again..... i only have one reservation and it's only partially weather related.

After a few days heavy rain, how confident will you guys be to cross a raging corrib on a temporary footbridge? At first when i heard it i thought "cool!", but i was out running by nimmo's pier and the claddagh the other morning and it's way further across than you imagine in your head.

Gave me a dose of the walnut sack just thinking about it.

Must try and get a few pics to put up, I havn't seen it myself yet, but you say work has started on the bridges?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

According to the Advertiser there will be an announcment regarding the entertainment line-up on Monday next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    Must try and get a few pics to put up, I havn't seen it myself yet, but you say work has started on the bridges?

It's outside my window where the bridge is to be and no sign of it being started yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

are the acts being announced today - any bets sharon shannon is on the list. Ya cant turn around these days but she's up behind ya with her smiling face and accordion :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

are the acts being announced today - any bets sharon shannon is on the list. Ya cant turn around these days but she's up behind ya with her smiling face and accordion :P:P

any idea what time the announcement is at? Just want to be ready to hear Sharon's name.....:P

I'd ;ike to think they get an international act along wit the standard Irish ones

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Acts announced- Kanyu Tree, Sharon Shannon, Mundy, Damian Dempsey, Edward Sharpe and the magnetic zeroes, Jefferson Airplane, Rednex, Peter Gabriel and Right said Fred. An eclectic mix.

yeehaw wrote: »
    Acts announced- Kanyu Tree, Sharon Shannon, Mundy, Damian Dempsey, Edward Sharpe and the magnetic zeroes, Jefferson Airplane, Rednex, Peter Gabriel and Right said Fred. An eclectic mix.

Forgot Aslan. Obviously Aslan are on board. Interestingly, they are just 3 pubs shy of having played in every pub in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Jefferson Airplane? seriously like? cool!

Peter Gabriel is a pretty big scoop for galway too.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

Very excited about Peter Gabriel. Was on GBFM there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

When did AirPlane revert back from being Starship? Yes they were much better as Airplane - Starship, however can claim to have written the 'worst song ever' in "we built this city on rock and roll"!

Is Rick Astley coming too?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

What an awful line up.This is the final event of the race ffs. Absolutely atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

and there she is again....seriously you cannot do a thing anymore without smiley face comin up behind you with her accordion. :D:D:D doesn't people ever want something different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

drum! wrote: »
    What an awful line up.This is the final event of the race ffs. Absolutely atrocious.
    Au contraire, several acts there I'm definitely going to.

Actual acts announced so far:

Ryan Sheridan
    The Stunning
    Kanyu Tree
    The Deans
    Stephen James & Band
    Túcan
    The Amazing Apples
    Hot 8 Brass Band

Sharon Shannon & 42 piece orchestra

xtradel wrote: »

Ryan Sheridan
    The Stunning
    Kanyu Tree
    The Deans
    Stephen James & Band
    Túcan
    The Amazing Apples
    Hot 8 Brass Band

lol who are these bands please?

My line up is the actual line up. I am involved in the organising committee. Looking forward to seeing you all soon.

A taste of things to come...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Hi Yeehaw! So is Peter Gabriel a dead cert then? Christ it'll be absolutely mega if that's the case! He's really something else live! I'm just so bloody stoked at this news!

Jefferson Airplane are a band I'd never actually thought I'd have a practical chance to see so that's fantastic as well. Their 80's output wasn't the greatest but their earlier stuff was pretty good.

I spoke to Peter personally via Skype yesterday and he is looking forward to the event.

Jefferson Airplane are a bit of a coup alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

yeehaw wrote: »
    I spoke to Peter personally via Skype yesterday and he is looking forward to the event.

You realise I hate you now Yeehaw don't you? I've been a huge fan of his since Genesis! If I still had a granny I'd most likely sell her to even say Hi to him on Skype! Ya lucky so and so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Why on earth Right said Fred?

And Aslan?. Sure I suppose they couldn't be kept away with their mission to have everybody in Ireland hear Crazy World played a million bloody times.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Looking like there's 2 different sets of acts being posted - can anyone confirm for definite which is correct please?

no mention of Peter Gabriel etc. on VOR Facebook page yet.

Ryan Sheridan
    The Stunning
    Kanyu Tree
    The Deans
    Stephen James & Band
    Túcan
    The Amazing Apples
    Hot 8 Brass Band

Sharon Shannon & 42 piece orchestra

I got these off the VOR Twitter & Facebook as well as The Galway Independent Facebook Page.

The mention of Peter Gabriel playing here may have come from sombodys arse :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I got these off the VOR Twitter & Facebook as well as The Galway Independent Facebook Page.

The mention of Peter Gabriel playing here may have come from sombodys arse :rolleyes:

Give me 5 minutes and I will post a screen shot of my Skype with Peter, who came across as something of a bell end if I'm honest.

Coming up in my thread talking smack about arses. This is my house! Tumble dry

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement