Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I see there is now a rowing boat in the middle of Eyre Square. My eyes aren't the best but I think it is painted blue/white/red.
    Also some of the pubs have their windows covered with those Brewery sponsored stickers so you can't see if anybody is inside (which I hate). Pucan got it right by cutting a square off of theirs lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Come on you beauty.......
    FURTHER OUTLOOK ... Model runs are quite optimistic ... are you? ... past about Monday 2nd July, the trend is towards warm and dry weather with potential for highs of 22-25 C at times (27-30 C in Britain, 32-35 C in France, 38-42 C in Spain, I could go on).
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79408743&postcount=2531

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

mikom wrote: »
    Come on you beauty.......

Met Eireann dont take that view for next week
    General : Cooler and fresher for Friday and the Weekend, with breezy, showery conditions in the main and temperatures below normal
    Rather cloudy on Thursday night with rain or showers in many places overnight and a little cooler than recent nights with lows of 11 or 12 degrees.
    Friday : Windy and much fresher on Friday. Generally showery, with heavy showers at times and some possibly prolonged in places in the morning , but some sunny spells develop also - best over east Munster and south Leinster. Top temperatures of 14 to 18 C., in a fresh and gusty southwest to west wind becoming northwest later and it will be strong along the north coast.
    Saturday : Cool, bright, fresh conditions on Saturday but with further showers at times, some heavy, these mainly in northern counties. But some sunny spells also. Temperatures just 13 to 17 C., and in a moderate to fresh west or northwest breeze, it will feel cool.
    Sunday : At this stage, it looks like a lot of dry, bright weather on Sunday with sunny spells and light or moderate breezes but still cool with temperatures of 14 to 17 degrees. Nights through the weekend will be much cooler than at present with temperatures in single figures.
    Outlook for early next week is for a continuation of the unsettled weather but possibly becoming a bit warmer again with temperatures around normal.

Accuweather (most trustworthy imo) are saying rain all next week except Saturday which arguably is the most important day to have dry.

This Saturday is when things kick off and the weather is not looking great either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Well I hope there's wind and plenty of it next week, the bay has been close to a mill pond the last month and this is a week of sailing after all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Anyone with an Android or iPhone can now download an app for the Galway City Volvo Ocean Race which has events, maps, webcams, and more information specific to the Galway stopover.

More info on http://www.siliconrepublic.com/innovation/item/27983-deri-researchers-create/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭squonk

Well I hope there's wind and plenty of it next week, the bay has been close to a mill pond the last month and this is a week of sailing after all!

Am I still the only one who couldn't give a fig about the sailing? Free gigs and the beer tent FTW!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

squonk wrote: »
    Am I still the only one who couldn't give a fig about the sailing? Free gigs and the beer tent FTW!!!

Well I'm a sailor and the Galway Bay SC regatta is on next week, so for myself and other Galway sailors this is a massive sailing occasion here on our doorstep.

I'll be sailing out on the bay all next week, so I guess to use a football analogy next week is like getting on the pitch at Wembley for a at half time in the Champions league final for a kick about!

Plus the beer tent and throngs of outta town open minded women desperate for some sailor coc.........well you get the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Accuweather (most trustworthy imo) are saying rain all next week except Saturday which arguably is the most important day to have dry.

This Saturday is when things kick off and the weather is not looking great either.
    I have to disagree with you about how accurate "accuweather" is.Just from my own experience its been way off sometimes but not to worry,its not all about the weather:).
    I did hear a nice rumour of what might be happening on either July 3rd/4th,its just a rumour though at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Plus the beer tent and throngs of outta town open minded women desperate for some sailor coc.........well you get the craic.

Take it easy in the beer-tent. You don't want to end up like Osgood :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Great buzz about town, seems like a huge effort by everyone.
    It reminds me when we used to get visiitores from America when I was younger at home, Mum would say while peeking out the front curtain;

"Here they come now, big smiles everyone"
    :D

Aiel wrote: »
    I did hear a nice rumour of what might be happening on either July 3rd/4th,its just a rumour though at this stage.

Come on you tease........ Spill.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭R0UF

Aiel wrote: »

PG? If so I heard the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ger8

Hint hint. Pls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

There is a very good 30 page suppliment 'Volvo Ocean Race, Galway Festival Guide' in today's Irish Times.

For those who missed the TG4 Volvo Ocean Race leg 8 Lisbon to Lorient documentary last Sunday.

R0UF wrote: »

Parental guidance?

Is Gary glitter playing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Council workers out and about 'sprucing' to include the removal of the traffic island at Victoria Place/Merchants Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Hey, I've been following the race since the past year and I'm really looking forward to see it end in Galway.

The thing is I can only head in for one day only so which day would you suggest would be the best to head in and would it be possible to drive into Galway to catch the race on saturday or would it be impossible to find a place to park and such??

Thanks...

R0UF wrote: »

Peter Gabriel isn't it? I hope not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Angel8ie

Anyone know what time the open air concert kicks off on Saturday?

Angel8ie wrote: »
    Anyone know what time the open air concert kicks off on Saturday?

7pm on the Saturday.

GastroBoy wrote: »
    7pm on the Saturday.

Angel8ie wrote: »

Same here. here's a link to the schedule,

http://www.volvooceanracegalway.ie/Portals/0/Festival%20Event%20Guides/race%20village%20event%20schedule.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

A couple more from today, more later.

9B0A260C804D40218A9E803A67C0D216-0000324460-0002910598-00800L-3DF1E4F990004A9B8B0AB496614AF15A.jpg

BA2E3303448746F191088C4922173D84-0000324460-0002910597-00800L-028CA6193D704999862E7DEE8A618DCE.jpg

A04172662CB643E9A6DB08614D0892D9-0000324460-0002910596-00800L-D752A2E5434E43F0B2AF287A7B3B1621.jpg

E39E169F18E240CAA1C5E3290AC5E164-0000324460-0002910595-00800L-CE3F787B3C6F45ECB5DEF7FBB29EDCCE.jpg

966BD9001A2E439EA5DA1C147576D8D5-0000324460-0002910594-00800L-0A10EC8CB51F4054AE43AB36993F1AC6.jpg

GastroBoy wrote: »

Oh that's brilliant, thanks!

Cant say im a fan of the tacky fun-fair in the middle of the whole thing though, hope it wont be an eyesore..

The thing is I can only head in for one day only so which day would you suggest would be the best to head in and would it be possible to drive into Galway to catch the race on saturday or would it be impossible to find a place to park and such??

Hi Af.
    Saturday would be the best day if you are interested in the boats and the race. They will depart the Docks at 10:30am, race from 13:00 to 14:50 followed by the final prize giving at the Docks. Then Sharon Shannon and a 42 piece Orchestra among others will provide free entertainment.

The traffic is likely to be animal around town, so if coming from Dublin, I would advise you to use the 'Park and Ride' at Ballybrit Racecourse and use public transport to the Docks or Salthill.
    Details from Just Mary here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I'm getting a lot more facebook notices of bands playing on other stages and don't see them on here. Is there a schedule of the other stages somewhere? Am I right in thinking there's a 'Salthill' stage?

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    I'm getting a lot more facebook notices of bands playing on other stages and don't see them on here. Is there a schedule of the other stages somewhere? Am I right in thinking there's a 'Salthill' stage?

Like what bands?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement