Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of Thrones - Season 2 [MAJOR SPOILERS FOR ALL 5 BOOKS/US EPISODES - SEE POST 1]

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's not graphic on either tbh

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭fitz

I'm enjoying the scenes of Theon. In the books they're undisclosed. Shows us how his eagerness to impress his family and become his own man has amounted to nothing, its a great visual impact to draw more live into the character for his 'turn'. Btw I think Alfie Allen is leading the Grammy nominations this season so far.

Eh...all of the Theon stuff this season was covered in the books...did you speed-read them or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

fitz wrote: »
    Eh...all of the Theon stuff this season was covered in the books...did you speed-read them or something?

Its has been years since I read them, but I don't ever remember reading Theon writing then buring a letter or being reconsecrated to the Drowned God. I don't remember in the books Martin describing Theon's torment about the plans with his father and being visually/openly angry with him, at least not at this stage of the story. They're definitely added scenes. I enjoyed them, they added to his character and got him more centrally prominent and the Greyjors for that matter.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭fitz

The letter and "drowning" were hardly significant additions, and really only served to visualise thoughts that Theon would have had in the books that can't be conveyed on TV. They've been extremely faithful to his character imo.

fitz wrote: »
    The letter and "drowning" were hardly significant additions, and really only served to visualise thoughts that Theon would have had in the books that can't be conveyed on TV. They've been extremely faithful to his character imo.

Yet additions nonetheless. As it turns out we both agree they add to his character and enhance what happened in the book and yet it is undisclosed in the book. Did you speed watch the episode? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

The "drowning" scene appears in the books. The letter scene does not.

Aye, but from my reading of it, the Damphair was actually drowning people and reviving them via CPR in the books.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sleepy wrote: »
    It's not graphic on either tbh
    Depends on your sensibilities! The implication of a rat in a bucket eating it's way out through your guts is worse to some people than seeing an ol' leg chopped off.
    Aye, but from my reading of it, the Damphair was actually drowning people and reviving them via CPR in the books.
    Aye, that's what I remember. None of this wetting your head catholic-style nonsense. ;)

Damphair was a bit more hardcore than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Dades wrote: »
    Depends on your sensibilities! The implication of a rat in a bucket eating it's way out through your guts is worse to some people than seeing an ol' leg chopped off.
    +1 to this. Suggestion and sounds can often be far more impactful than actually showing something. Found that whole section hard to watch (as indeed it was in the book)
    Aye, that's what I remember. None of this wetting your head catholic-style nonsense. ;)

Yeah, he went full old school Mel Gibson Catholic.

Dades wrote: »
    Language discrepancy I think 'graphic' to me means how much of the incident is displayed on screen. e.g. a graphic version of the rat scene would show either the damage wrought by the rat or an 'in bucket' view of the "action".

Glad I hadn't misconstrued that. One of the few things I liked about the Damphair

• Advertisement

Language discrepancy I think 'graphic' to me means how much of the incident is displayed on screen. e.g. a graphic version of the rat scene would show either the damage wrought by the rat or an 'in bucket' view of the "action".
    Technically not graphic perhaps, yes. But I suspect the type who tentatively enquires as to how "graphic" something is would also want to be forewarned about such implied horrors.

I could watch fake limbs flying off all day, but I found myself seriously squirming at that rat thing.

Well when I asked how graphic I guess I was looking to know is it visual on screen and is it overtly aggressive...

For example lets take an easy medieval battle sequence: a movie can take 2/3 routes.
    It can show a man swing the axe towards the head then switch to the next shot and the head is rolling on the ground. For me, to be graphic it would take the same scene and show the axe actually taking the man's head off and falling the ground.

Not sure if that define's it for everybody but for me it sums it up.

There was a nice intestines shot last week, if I recall...

Just as we were tucking into dinner. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

So people had not problems with them implying the slaughtering of children but a bit of rat torture was a bit too graphic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

So people had not problems with them implying the slaughtering of children but a bit of rat torture was a bit too graphic?

Sometimes, not showing can be more effective than showing because your imagination can run wild.

Also, on a limited budget it might just end up looking fake, and rather than having the intended shock effect it looks comical.

No, my Mrs had a fit at the implied baby murder too, and ran into the kitchen.

Of course I watched last Monday's episode on my iPad - and there was barely a drop of blood, and not a boob or a rat in sight. Typical!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Ser Rodrik!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::(

"“Hush now child, I'm off to see your father.”:(
    The only scene from the series that I wish was in the books.
    (Well actually I don't for plot reasons...but yeah, still a brill scene for directing and writing)

I think the lad playing Theon Greyjoy is going to be this years Dinklage at the Emmys.

And I can't wait for (the all new) Reek!

It's amusing to look at the lyrics to the song 'Alfie' at this point: looks like he took his sister Lily's advice to heart!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

It's amusing to look at the lyrics to the song 'Alfie' at this point: looks like he took his sister Lily's advice to heart!

huh. You learn something new every day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement