Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the essential components for building a rig?

Options
  • 29-03-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Sorry, lads, this might be a stupid question but what are the absolute essential components for building a good gaming rig??? In particular - hard drives...

Do I need more than just one 1 tb hard drive? Do I need an SSD? Do I need both??

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Essential:
    CPU
    Motherboard
    RAM
    Case
    Power Supply
    SSD/HDD

Optional:
    Graphics card - for gaming or apps that use CUDA/OpenGL
    DVD drive
    CPU cooler - for overclocking
    Water cooling setup
    Wireless card
    Card reader
    Keyboard/mouse/speakers/monitor etc.
    Windows License

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

deconduo wrote: »
    Essential:
    CPU
    Motherboard
    RAM
    Case
    Power Supply
    SSD/HDD

Optional:
    Graphics card - for gaming or apps that use CUDA/OpenGL
    DVD drive
    CPU cooler - for overclocking
    Water cooling setup
    Wireless card
    Card reader
    Keyboard/mouse/speakers/monitor etc.
    Windows License

this, but i would put Graphics Card in to essential part as we are talking about Gaming PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭phillo74

this, but i would put Graphics Card in to essential part as we are talking about Gaming PC.

Ya, I had to edit it to 'gaming pc' to be more specific. Right, so your saying the SSD is essential after all? If that's the case will one hard disk cover it (1 tb)? I'm working off a budget here too so...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

an SSD isn't essential. its just fun. you'll be fine without it on a tight budget. what is your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭phillo74

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    an SSD isn't essential. its just fun. you'll be fine without it on a tight budget. what is your budget?

€1500 MAX. If that's the case though, would it be smart to buy an extra hard disk?

(by the way, that 1500 for everything! peripherals incl)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

phillo74 wrote: »
    €1500 MAX. If that's the case though, would it be smart to buy an extra hard disk?

(by the way, that 1500 for everything! peripherals incl)

best thing, if you will fill in the form and we will be able to optimise a best system with your budget m8.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74542374

Advertisement