Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffalo Wings where to go in Dublin?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Get onto amazon and order the Franks Xtra hot sauce. Four times hotter than original franks.

Do your wings as normal, put your original franks on, then splash a big gulp of this over them. Dont put the 4x in the pan with butter if thats how you make your sauce as I find this kills the flavour. Just splash it on straight from the bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Slunk wrote: »
    Get onto amazon and order the Franks Xtra hot sauce. Four times hotter than original franks.

Do your wings as normal, put your original franks on, then splash a big gulp of this over them. Dont put the 4x in the pan with butter if thats how you make your sauce as I find this kills the flavour. Just splash it on straight from the bottle

Twelve euro a bottle, fcuk that! Just add cayenne pepper powder and chilli flakes to the franks regular.

You get six bottles for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Tangop

Smyths in Ranelagh do great wings, i think even better than the ones in Tribecca and E&C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Had some really nice ones in Gilbert and Wrights off the Howth Road. Way nicer than Elephant and Castle in my humble opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

You get six bottles for that.

My bad, apologies!

Great deal, actually. :)

Was in porterhouse north last night. Got the half portion of suicide wings for 5.95. Was really impressed. Quite hot and they also added jalepenos to the mix. Enjoyed them more than Buffalo 19. Quite a large portion for the price.

Look forward to trying a few other places mentioned.

Im probably going to try the Elephant & Castle wings sometime this week but looking at their website the wings are 12.95. I take it this is a fairly big portion. Would it be fit for two people more so. Do they not do smaller portions as the OH is a veggie?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

It's a very large portion for one I could not do a main with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it depends on what they get in on the night. the last time i went to E&C they were like sparrow wings with hardly any meat on them at all, but other times i've gone before they were really big. i find that in the packs of wings or thighs you get at the supermarket too tho, you just have to look through what they have and pick out the biggest ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I'm probably going to try the Elephant & Castle wings sometime this week but looking at their website the wings are 12.95. I take it this is a fairly big portion. Would it be fit for two people more so. Do they not do smaller portions as the OH is a veggie?

Let me know what you think of E&C , have heard so much mixed reviews about their wings, wondering is it worth traveling in to try them out or not ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Had the wings in the Harbour Master today. Quite impressed. Nice and spicy. Nice and crispy. Obviously cooked to order, and not sitting in a warming tray waiting for someone to order them. I got the smaller size, but the portion was huge. Great value for money at 7 quid. They had a faint sweet kick to them when first bit into, that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Not what I am used to, but it certainly wasn't off putting as the hotness kicked in very soon after.

Loved the little water bowl to clean your fingers with, and their bringing extra napkins without you having to ask for them. Liked that the wings were on the smallish size so you can eat them easily without making a holy show of your self. My only quibbles were that the amount of dipping sauce was puny, and it was fairly tasteless. Why oh why is good blue cheese dipping sauce SO hard to come by in this city? Also would have liked some celery sticks. There is nothing like munching into a nice cool stick of celery when your mouth is on fire. Over all 8/10. Would have been a 10/10, but for the crap sauce and no celery.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Had the wings in the Harbour Master today. Quite impressed. Nice and spicy. Nice and crispy. Obviously cooked to order, and not sitting in a warming tray waiting for someone to order them. I got the smaller size, but the portion was huge. Great value for money at 7 quid. They had a faint sweet kick to them when first bit into, that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Not what I am used to, but it certainly wasn't off putting as the hotness kicked in very soon after.

Loved the little water bowl to clean your fingers with, and their bringing extra napkins without you having to ask for them. Liked that the wings were on the smallish size so you can eat them easily without making a holy show of your self. My only quibbles were that the amount of dipping sauce was puny, and it was fairly tasteless. Why oh why is good blue cheese dipping sauce SO hard to come by in this city? Also would have liked some celery sticks. There is nothing like munching into a nice cool stick of celery when your mouth is on fire. Over all 8/10. Would have been a 10/10, but for the crap sauce and no celery.

Sorry but have to totally disagree with you !
    They are waaaaaay over rated.

I must of had them on a bad day :/

I found them really dry (not crispy) , there was barley any sauce on them at all.
    And there was no blue cheese sauce ..... Who serves buffalo wings without blue chessse sauce ??????
    Actually would go as far to say that I wouldn't even call them "buffalo wings"

You need to try buffalo 19 or Luigi Malones. They do PROPER buffalo wings. They are nice crispy hot wings dripping in sauce with tasty blue cheese dip.

Also other places mentioned in this thread that iv yet to try ...

Seriously your missing out if you think harbour master do nice wings :P

Porterhouse give you the little bowl with lots of napkins and those wet/fresh wipes. Also give you the celery stick to munch on. Dipping sauce was ok, could of had more flavour. Have to say the porterhouse is probably the best Ive had in a long time. Buffalo 19 comes a close second.

Blue Bar in skerries - Seriously tasty, great portion of wings, loads of dipping sauce.

Just to update this incase anyone is going on my previous recommendation. I went to the porterhouse on nassau street yesterday and ordered the suicide wings. Major disappointment. The sauce was just like a dolmio tomato pasta sauce with some franks or similar hot sauce thrown in for flavour and a few jalepenos on top. Nowhere near hot enough for suicide. Pretty small portion too compared to porterhouse north. They also had no veggie quesedellas so the GF wasnt impressed. Apparently all porterhouses dont use the same menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Hootanany wrote: »
    Rustic Stone do lovely Wings and Mitchelin star as well. nom nom
    Doesn't have a Michelin star and is nowhere near that standard.

Also, the time I had the wings in there they were brutal. They were more like bones with a little piece of skin on them, barely any meat.

The best I've had in Dublin are in the Chatham Brasserie. Huge portion, really spicy and very meaty.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    they're not buffalo wings either going by the menu.
    The city’s favourite, the oul chicken wing. Here I’ve done ‘em in some sticky soya and crushed roasted sesame seeds with fresh grated lime zest, garlic chips, red sprouts and coriander.

i was about to say that i wouldn't go to any steak restaurant where the biggest steak was 10oz either, that's hardly a starter in my book.

but then i saw this:
    T-BONE FOR TWO €62 Wonderful cut of meat to be enjoyed by two, simply served with the oul French butter. Twenty-eight ounces of dry aged meat hung for twenty-eight days. Thank you Maurice Kettle.
    "i'll have the t-bone for two please, and a salad for the wife!" :D

bit pricy though, it would want to be something pretty special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SCAW

Elephant & Castle or Crackbird do amazing wings! Wouldn't go near Harbourmaster, found the staff unbelievably rude!

Would agree with you about The Harbour Master staff. Very surly. I didn't go back for months after my first time there. I sat at a table while a waitress cleared off 3 tables beside me, and totally ignored the fact that I was sitting there waiting to be served. I had to go to the bar & ask for a menu & the service wasn't much better there either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

UrbanSea wrote: »

Also, the time I had the wings in there they were brutal. They were more like bones with a little piece of skin on them, barely any meat.

The best I've had in Dublin are in the Chatham Brasserie. Huge portion, really spicy and very meaty.

Sorry:eek:
    He had a Michelin star did they take it off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Hootanany wrote: »
    Sorry:eek:
    He had a Michelin star did they take it off him.

The star goes to a restaurant. He got it in Mint. Mint closed about 5 years ago.

Anyone know where to get some good blue cheese dressing/dipping sauce in Dublin? I have been to Dunnes, Marks & Spencer, Tesco & Supervalu but have had no joy finding any. Took some buffalo wings home with me from a restaurant recently, but just couldn't enjoy them without some good old blue cheese dipping sauce and celery. I think that is very odd seeing as wings are such a staple on so many pub/restaurant menus these days. Oh well......

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

You could make some yourself? Its fairly straightforward, I used to use the recipe from The Atkins site.

This recipe: http://www.atkins.com/Recipes/Buffalo-Chicken-Wings.aspx

Thanks, but I don't eat enough of it to warrant making a batch of it. When I bring some wings home (usually late at night) I want the convenience of having a jar of blue cheese sauce already there. I don't want the hassle of having to go to a shop and buy ingredients to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Thanks, but I don't eat enough of it to warrant making a batch of it. When I bring some wings home (usually late at night) I want the convenience of having a jar of blue cheese sauce already there. I don't want the hassle of having to go to a shop and buy ingredients to make it.

I make wings quite a lot and was thinking the same thing, I haven't bothered going out and checking yet but maybe check one of the american shops in town (one that springs to mind for me is Candy Lab in temple bar), as they might have something like this: http://candyland.ie/epages/950000408.sf/en_IE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950000408/Products/00015 (Candyland is in Galway I believe, if you can't find it anywhere else you could order it from that site! Not sure if that sauce would be in any way nice as well btw, never had it, but I'm considering getting it soon to try.)

you could use this in a pinch.

http://www.briannassaladdressing.com/flavors/blue-cheese.html

it's officially a salad dressing, but it does the job on wings too. might not be to everyone's taste, but if you can't be arsed to make your own, it might well fill the void.

i've see it in both tesco's and superquinn.

Advertisement