Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting posters appearing around UL

Options
  • 29-03-2012 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Saw some of these up near the red raisins today and thought they were hilarious

bsXI0.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 auldpooky

here is a second one

QffkB.jpg

and the third

p4bh7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

I find it quite interesting that whoever put those posters up obviously does not have a clue what they are talking about because the 72 euro is the student levy that was put in place by referendum for the student centre and arena, which was later extended again by referendum to cover the boathouse. It actually has nothing to do with the SU directly at all, it's paying off the big projects. LOL

Edit: I will say I get the general sentiment that comes across and don't necessarily disagree as 2,000 voters is a very weak turnout, just whoever made these posters should have put a bit more thought into them ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

I find it quite interesting that whoever put those posters up obviously does not have a clue what they are talking about because the 72 euro is the student levy that was put in place by referendum for the student centre and arena, which was later extended again by referendum to cover the boathouse. It actually has nothing to do with the SU directly at all, it's paying off the big projects. LOL

RoroNeill?

edit - just asking based on previous posts, not an accusation!

Asking am I, or is the person who started the thread? Me being quoted makes me think your asking me, but no I am not. My one and only account here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shabouwcaw

trolling IRL.....

I like the V for Vendetta reference.

Nah, I am not yer man roroneill. Long time reader, first time poster. Didnt really have a reason to until i saw those posters

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

auldpooky wrote: »
    Nah, I am not yer man roroneill. Long time reader, first time poster. Didnt really have a reason to until i saw those posters

Not my handiwork. Agree with sentiment, execution is nice, pity about the factual inaccuracy .

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

Asking am I, or is the person who started the thread? Me being quoted makes me think your asking me, but no I am not. My one and only account here.

That was a pretty poor quoting by me sorry.. I didn't mean to insinuate that you were he, rather I was wondering if it was RoroNeil's handiwork, which he says it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

That was a pretty poor quoting by me sorry.. I didn't mean to insinuate that you were he, rather I was wondering if it was RoroNeil's handiwork, which he says it isn't.

Clearly whoever it was doesn't grasp the concept of Students' Union (so not a grammar nazi).

note the '

so should be 'Students'' Union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

You can rip them down if you what

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Edit: I will say I get the general sentiment that comes across and don't necessarily disagree as 2,000 voters is a very weak turnout, just whoever made these posters should have put a bit more thought into them ;-)

I wonder will we ever see change to that? Voted for by people who're gone from UL but paid for by people who never got a vote on said issue.
    Doesn't bother me really as I'm no longer a student but it does strike me as a kind of grandfathering.

That's the way any referendum works I guess. But it will be up next semester. As far as I know everything the current levy is paying for will be paid off by 2013, however the SU/C&S will be looking for support to extend (potentially increase, I don't know the full details) the levy so as to support a new student centre (badly needed), the arena extension (been postponed for years) and the pitches (long over due). So yeh basically, people will get their chance to get rid of it if they like :) I will most likely be supporting it though (depending on the figure of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

So funny! :D

anyone know any thing more about these posters, perhaps someone might wish to pm me some info on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

That's the way any referendum works I guess. But it will be up next semester. As far as I know everything the current levy is paying for will be paid off by 2013, however the SU/C&S will be looking for support to extend (potentially increase, I don't know the full details) the levy so as to support a new student centre (badly needed), the arena extension (been postponed for years) and the pitches (long over due). So yeh basically, people will get their chance to get rid of it if they like :) I will most likely be supporting it though (depending on the figure of course).

Yes and no. Few referendums are held where the voting population turns over so quickly - I'm not saying it's dreadful or anything and I don't see how it could be otherwise but someone could be paying €72 a year for their whole time in UL and not a single person who voted in favour of it might be left in the place by the time the payee is finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

The 1984 one is hilarious.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Cossax wrote: »
    Yes and no. Few referendums are held where the voting population turns over so quickly - I'm not saying it's dreadful or anything and I don't see how it could be otherwise but someone could be paying €72 a year for their whole time in UL and not a single person who voted in favour of it might be left in the place by the time the payee is finished.

There's no other way it can be done, unless you were to triple the amount and pay it back over a shorter time. But I can't see too many people being willing to pay over €200 a year extra on top of the registration fee.

Is it the end of this semester that we're voting on whether to extend and increase it? Or is it the start of next semester?

not a single person who voted in favour of it might be left in the place by the time the payee is finished.

that is true, but the capital that's being paid for will still be there after they've left. while it could be argued that the boathouse is only used by a small percentage of the campus, the new Student Centre will be widely used, I think it would be OK that people who didnt vote for it end up paying for it, they'd see the benefit of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 SandraNiD

I will most likely be supporting it though (depending on the figure of course).

of course you will. unpaid self funded ''phd student'' (:rolleyes:) who doesn't have to pay registration fees, not like it'll be coming out of your pocket will it.

• Advertisement

SandraNiD wrote: »
    of course you will. unpaid self funded ''phd student'' (:rolleyes:) who doesn't have to pay registration fees, not like it'll be coming out of your pocket will it.

Unpaid? Never said I was unpaid, I teach therefore I get paid.

Funded? Not by a long shot, I'm barely keeping myself a float if you could call it that.

Registration Fees? I pay 4,500 euro a year that does come out of my pocket......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

These trolls are just getting lazier and lazier.

Unpaid? Never said I was unpaid, I teach therefore I get paid.

Funded? Not by a long shot, I'm barely keeping myself a float if you could call it that.

Registration Fees? I pay 4,500 euro a year that does come out of my pocket......

stop wasting your time so and just get a real job, not like any of your stuff will get published. #DoesntWannaLeaveCollegeSoNeedsToPretendToStillBeStudyingSomethingWorthwhile

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

stop wasting your time so and just get a real job, not like any of your stuff will get published. #DoesntWannaLeaveCollegeSoNeedsToPretendToStillBeStudyingSomethingWorthwhile *comment posted is that of a troll
    Fixed that for you.
    I wonder is this a movement or just Sid/John taking there trolling on the road?

found another one

pqbmo.jpg

think that one's too far tbh.

he's only been elected to be fair. not ok with picking on individual people for things that they haven't even done yet.

I know who it is.
    he's a little ladyboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Haha.

You'll be setting the record for the troll with the quickest ban in the UL forum Sandra, with gems like that.

I'd love to know what the ladyboy's end game is?

• Advertisement

I'd love to know what the ladyboy's end game is?

why so mad?

Advertisement