Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strength training at home on the cheap

Options
  • 29-03-2012 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

I received Starting Strength a couple of days ago in the post and am keen to get cracking but looking at the Starting Strength wiki http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Equipment#What_do_I_need_to_setup_a_home_gym.3F it looks like I'd need to fork out quite a few euros for all the necessary equipment. Like many people these days I don't have that sort of money, not right now anyway, any ideas for doing it on the cheap? Or will I just have to stick to doing calisthenic stuff for now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭meijin

luckylucky wrote: »
    Or will I just have to stick to doing calisthenic stuff for now?
    Hmm... what's wrong with callisthenic? Are you not doing CC after all? It requires almost no equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

meijin wrote: »
    Hmm... what's wrong with callisthenic? Are you not doing CC after all? It requires almost no equipment.

Nothing wrong with it at all. Had a feeling I might have worded that a bit badly. :( I actually really like Calisthenics and CC and plan to continue with them no matter what. I actually ordered that Starting Strength book a couple of weeks ago before I ever heard of Convict Conditioning so it seems a bit of a shame if I don't put the book to some use and incorporate it into my routine. If I can't as it looks like I probably won't for now I'll stick purely to Calishtenics.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

SS is a barbell program. Without a barbell or access to one in a gym or similar you can't do the program.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭meijin

Ah, cool. That's the problem with SS, that it requires investment in equipment or gym... Have never seen the book, but maybe it has other useful information?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Thanks for the replies. I'll forget about the barbell stuff for now then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ling-zing

get yourself a sandbag for added resistance on your squats,presses,deadlift,

cheapest way to to go really,if you can get sand at a beach you only need to pay for the bag

Advertisement