Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox laser replacement not working.

Options
  • 28-03-2012 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

I'm just after replacing a friends laser for a LiteOn drive. I desoldered the metal bit and I everything seemed to go grand but it wont read any discs now. I tried DVD's games and still no luck. All I get is the the unrecognised disc error instead.

The only problem I did have was the metal bars which hold the laser are a little loose and the laser seems to be hitting the circuit board when you slide it up the rail. But another friend's xbox had the same problem of hitting the board when I took it apart and it still works perfectly.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The rails & gears need calibrating, or else a dodgey new laser. Was it a Hong Kong special?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

EnterNow wrote: »
    The rails & gears need calibrating, or else a dodgey new laser. Was it a Hong Kong special?
    What do ya mean calibrating? I hope not anyway. I got it of modtraders UK.

clonadlad wrote: »
    What do ya mean calibrating? I hope not anyway. I got it of modtraders UK.

I'm not sure how it works on the 360, but I'd imagine the height of the aperture is calibrated so that it reads the discs correctly. Perhaps there's no need, I'm not entirely sure, I've only ever swapped the drive pcb into new units.

You shouldn't have to go faffing about with resistance etc on a brand new laser unit anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I'm just after replacing a friends laser for a LiteOn drive. I desoldered the metal bit and I everything seemed to go grand but it wont read any discs now. I tried DVD's games and still no luck. All I get is the the unrecognised disc error instead.

The only problem I did have was the metal bars which hold the laser are a little loose and the laser seems to be hitting the circuit board when you slide it up the rail. But another friend's xbox had the same problem of hitting the board when I took it apart and it still works perfectly.

Anyone have any ideas?

The laser will always hit the circuit board then the tray is open (this is normal) when the tray closes the laser assembly raises up slightly to clear the circuit board.

I would check the anti-static point there are three points that need desoldering you'll know if its desoldered if you can see the red beam coming from the laser when the Xbox is powered on.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

is the laser diode (lens) blue or grey.
    In general if its blue its a good laser and if its grey its pretty much dead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

Blue in xbox :) New model of blue ray ?

Thanks for the help. I'm away for the week so I can't test the xbox. But I'll be back to let ye know how I get on.

I'm just after testing the xbox again there without the casing and still no luck.

I can see the laser lights up and moves up and down the rails grand. The disc stays spinning too. It just comes up play game and when I click it nothing happens. I don't know what to do now.

Can anyone help me please? I'm thinking of buying a whole new DVD drive if I can't get this to work.

• Advertisement

Have you used a multimeter & checked the resistance of the laser unit? It might need tweaking, but its usually a last resort.

Have you used a multimeter & checked the resistance of the laser unit? It might need tweaking, but its usually a last resort.
    I haven't checked that yet. I'll get a multimeter at the weekend and check it. But surely a brand new laser should be working straight out of the box?

Do you think it could be anything else?

I haven't checked that yet. I'll get a multimeter at the weekend and check it. But surely a brand new laser should be working straight out of the box?

Do you think it could be anything else?

It should work straight outta the box yeah. It's the only thing left I can think of though, it could be DOA.

It should work straight outta the box yeah. It's the only thing left I can think of though, it could be DOA.
    But the laser lights up grand and seems to work so could it still be dead?

But the laser lights up grand and seems to work so could it still be dead?

It might need tweaking though, check it with a multimeter before doing anything

Jeff Smith wrote: »
    <snipped>

Spam much?

I'm just after testing it with a multimeter and it was around 3.7 ohms. So I started tweaking it in 0.1 turns and it still wont work. I now have it lowered to around 2.7. And if I try and tweak it any more the resistance just changes to 7 or 8 ohms.

Any ideas what's gone wrong lads?

Anyone have any ideas please? I'm fairly screwed here otherwise..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

take it to someone who can fix it? I mean here is nothing much can go wrong in this:
    1. installation
    2. getting rid of that blob of solder (if the laser was new there is a solder that needs to be removed by solder sucker or braid)
    3. calibration

docentore wrote: »
    take it to someone who can fix it? I mean here is nothing much can go wrong in this:
    1. installation
    2. getting rid of that blob of solder (if the laser was new there is a solder that needs to be removed by solder sucker or braid)
    3. calibration
    Thanks for the help. Everything seems to work fine though which is what's really frustrating. The laser moves up and down the rails fine, the laser is working too. It tries to read the disc for about 20 seconds and spits out an unrecognized disc error.

• Advertisement

OK I've now tried to put in a different drive which I know works (I just took it out of my xbox). They were both Lite-Ons. I flashed it with the xbox's original keys and there were no problems with the flash.

So I put it back together. It booted it up fine. Threw in a disc. It spins for a couple of seconds and then says Open Tray.

Could there be something wrong with the actual xbox itself? It seems very strange. Sorry for annoying everyone again.:o

OK I've now tried to put in a different drive which I know works (I just took it out of my xbox). They were both Lite-Ons. I flashed it with the xbox's original keys and there were no problems with the flash.

So I put it back together. It booted it up fine. Threw in a disc. It spins for a couple of seconds and then says Open Tray.

Could there be something wrong with the actual xbox itself? It seems very strange. Sorry for annoying everyone again.:o

Have you another 360 handy, try swapping it into that & see if it works. That way you'll know if its a laser on console problem pretty quickly

Have you another 360 handy, try swapping it into that & see if it works. That way you'll know if its a laser on console problem pretty quickly
    I just took that DVD drive out of another xbox and it was working grand. Flashed it and put it into the broken xbox and now it wont work. Sorry if I didn't explain it well.

I just took that DVD drive out of another xbox and it was working grand. Flashed it and put it into the broken xbox and now it wont work. Sorry if I didn't explain it well.

Oh right, will it play dvd films?

Oh right, will it play dvd films?
    Nope, not even DVD's. Same result. Spins for a couple of seconds and says open tray.

Nope, not even DVD's. Same result. Spins for a couple of seconds and says open tray.

Weird, even a wrong key will allow the playing of dvd's. The mini-ide & mini sata cable arn't damaged at all are they?

Weird, even a wrong key will allow the playing of dvd's. The mini-ide & mini sata cable arn't damaged at all are they?
    I replaced both the cables and it still won't work!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Are you sure the sata port isnt damaged ?

I replaced both the cables and it still won't work!:confused:

Have you tried throwing it against the wall?

• Advertisement

So basically you've a 360 that won't read discs.
    You then replaced the laser, & it still wouldn't read.
    You then swapped in a working drive, still wouldn't read.
    You've replaced both drive cables, still wouldn't read.

Weird!

Advertisement