Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Program advice

Options
  • 28-03-2012 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi,

Ive just recently started weight lifting. Id be quite fit from doing BJJ and bodyweight exercise. Id train at least 4 times a week. My current program is

Day1
    Lateral raises
    Overhead press
    Tricep work
    Press ups

Day2
    Leg press
    Bicep curl
    chin ups
    Lat pull down

I do all to 3 reps of 10, with the last rep to failure.

I dont feel Im getting the best out of my time. I am interested in building strength. Is my program any good ? Am I focusing on the right exercises to build strength ?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Hi,

Ive just recently started weight lifting. Id be quite fit from doing BJJ and bodyweight exercise. Id train at least 4 times a week. My current program is

Day1
    Lateral raises
    Overhead press
    Tricep work
    Press ups

Day2
    Leg press
    Bicep curl
    chin ups
    Lat pull down

I do all to 3 reps of 10, with the last rep to failure.

I dont feel Im getting the best out of my time. I am interested in building strength. Is my program any good ? Am I focusing on the right exercises to build strength ?

Thanks!

No basic Squats (leg presses are not a sub), Deadlifts or benching so your programme is awful ! Overhead press is about the best thing you have in there! Who do you train BJJ with (out of curiosity)? Do you have a strength coach in the gym?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Tbh, it's pretty pants. Especially from a sporting perspective.

Here's something I wrote on this topic a while ago...

"Push something, pull something, do something for your legs… and do it 2-4 days per week.

If you just based your workout around those three simple things, you’d probably be more healthy, have increased injury resistance, be more in balance and achieve your goals faster.

It’s simple, it’s VERY quick, and it’s “functional” in the strictest sense of the word.

If you’ve a bit more time… double it. The general structure has been heavily influenced by Mike Boyle and Informed Performance, but it’s a good system and one that stands, so I’m gonna share it.

The Template
    Warm up: do 1 corrective hip, and 1 corrective scapulothoracic exercise
    A1) Push something (bench, push up, dip)
    A2) Pull something (pull up, chin up, lat pulldown)
    B) Legs (squat, split squat, lunge)
    C) Core (plank variation)
    D1) Push something (press, push press, dumbbell press)
    D2) Pull something (inverted row, dumbbell row, cable/band row)
    E) Legs (deadlift, stiff leg dead, trap bar dead)
    F) Core (rotational, crunching, whatever)
    Cool down: do 1 corrective hip, and 1 corrective scapulothoracic exercise, different to the warm up

Short on time? Just drop out D1, D2, E and F. First option should take 45ish minutes, second will take around 90. Do it 2-4x per week. Simples!!

It’s a general program that’ll get you stronger and more “toned”. If you’re looking to do something specific like increase your squat, bench press and deadlift I’d recommend a different avenue (one which you can expect a blog post about very soon!!). But for 90+% of the population, the above is absolutely perfect."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

looks pretty good mate, probably the same program helio graice used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I was in a similar position, wanting to maximise strength gains whilst being economical with my time.

I have a strength and conditioning coach in my gym that I'm friendly enough with so I got some good advice from him, and a program.

What I'm doing at the moment is 4 weeks of lifting heavy, 4-5 reps per set, 2 warm sets and 3 heavy. I do around 4 exercises per session (eg my back day is pull ups, deadlift, tbar row/ dumbbell row superset, though I mix and match (keeping pull ups and deadlifts/rack pulls))

I'm not cycling off lifting heavy and going for about 60% of my max for 12 reps (except deadlifts), basically lighter weight and higher volume.

I'm going to do that for three weeks. When I finish that 3 week cycle I'm going to reduce the reps to 6-8 reps and increase the weight to compensate. When I've done that for three weeks I'm going to reduce to 4-5 reps for four weeks....so on and so on....

The way this was described to me is that the program should be cyclical, so you shouldn't be aiming for max lifts for a long period of time and that cycling through the rep ranges and weights every month or so allows you to shock your body and avoid boredom after adaptation. I find 1RM attempts very challenging (particularly squat) due to a lack of stability in my of my muscle groups (triceps, hamstrings etc).

I started weight training at the end of January, I'd regard myself as reasonably fit otherwise (up to January I was training BJJ 5 days a week), my strength is ok (for reference: 105kg 2RM bench, 160kg 4RM deadlift, 115kg 5RM squat). I'm 6'3" and 102kg. I work at night and get to bed at 3am, waking up at around 7:45 to go to college for the day, I generally train somewhere between 5pm and 8pm.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Regards the leg exercise portion of your program:

I'm new to leg training but what I've learned is:

This is the best:

1.jpg

This is good:

2.png

This is ****e:

3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LostInDharma

looks pretty good mate, probably the same program helio graice used.

who!

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »

The Template
    Warm up: do 1 corrective hip, and 1 corrective scapulothoracic exercise
    A1) Push something (bench, push up, dip)
    A2) Pull something (pull up, chin up, lat pulldown)
    B) Legs (squat, split squat, lunge)
    C) Core (plank variation)
    D1) Push something (press, push press, dumbbell press)
    D2) Pull something (inverted row, dumbbell row, cable/band row)
    E) Legs (deadlift, stiff leg dead, trap bar dead)
    F) Core (rotational, crunching, whatever)
    Cool down: do 1 corrective hip, and 1 corrective scapulothoracic exercise, different to the warm up

Thanks for that, Im going to start to use this and see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Stillweak

Are you trying to get stronger so you will be better at bjj?

Im going to get hammered for this but if that is the case you are much better off not doing weights and just going to your bjj class.

If you cant make it to bjj or your club doesnt have classes everyday then lift away.

Stillweak wrote: »

Im going to get hammered for this but if that is the case you are much better off not doing weights and just going to your bjj class.

If you cant make it to bjj or your club doesnt have classes everyday then lift away.

Agree. In theory.

I don't know many people with that single minded determination tho. If you want to look better naked, build some strength and a bit of muscle too, and if you just plain enjoy going to the gym, lifting can be a good option.

I don't think anyone's going to lash you for saying what you said because you're correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

I don't think he's correct. Maybe that's why your username is your username?!:)

Agree. In theory.

I don't know many people with that single minded determination tho. If you want to look better naked, build some strength and a bit of muscle too, and if you just plain enjoy going to the gym, lifting can be a good option.

I don't think anyone's going to lash you for saying what you said because you're correct!

My BJJ (when I was actually training :() got much better the stronger I got! I was still **** though so that's not saying much!! :P

Hanley, do you not think you had an advantage when you were starting out being far stronger then the avergae Jitz guy at your size? I've seen it happen plenty of times with guys that have natural mongo strength starting out progress quicker then your average joe walking in for the first time! Yes technique is #1 but if you have the raw strength to control your opponent, technique is far easier to implement!

• Advertisement

I cant train BJJ for awhile so I want to get into some lifting to get stronger and tone up.

Because Im not doing BJJ at the moment I have time to concentrate on lifting.

Im really looking to find a program that works so Im not wasting my time and not making progress ;)

Burkatron wrote: »
    My BJJ (when I was actually training :() got much better the stronger I got! I was still **** though so that's not saying much!! :P

Hanley, do you not think you had an advantage when you were starting out being far stronger then the avergae Jitz guy at your size? I've seen it happen plenty of times with guys that have natural mongo strength starting out progress quicker then your average joe walking in for the first time! Yes technique is #1 but if you have the raw strength to control your opponent, technique is far easier to implement!

Yeah of course I had a strength advantage against guys my experience, and then I get destroyed by guys with multi-year training experience who are significantly lighter than me. Ergo, skill > strength.

My raw athleticism certainly helps nogi, but stick the gi on and suddenly it all goes to pot. Did you train mostly gi or nogi?

Who gives a sh*t what you can do a year into training. Sure, you might man handle another raw beginner, and if that's all your in it for then great, but if you actually see it as a process, skills acquistion is far more important.

Yeah of course I had a strength advantage against guys my experience, and then I get destroyed by guys with multi-year training experience who are significantly lighter than me. Ergo, skill > strength.

My raw athleticism certainly helps nogi, but stick the gi on and suddenly it all goes to pot. Did you train mostly gi or nogi?

Who gives a sh*t what you can do a year into training. Sure, you might man handle another raw beginner, and if that's all your in it for then great, but if you actually see it as a process, skills acquistion is far more important.

Mostly Gi! As I openly admit, I am/was (still undecided whether I'll ever go back, I don't miss been broken all the time) awful at BJJ in the 5+ years I was active (I still love it though, just 100000x better at stand up).

This is going from experience as been one of the runts (& ****, plenty of runts who are amazing training there) when I was training with team Ryano, so it's different in my eyes I guess!

Totally agree, Technique/Skill > Strength but as I said I found the stronger I got (which wasn't that strong) the easier it was to make openings & get into positions to use my skills!

Mostly Gi! As I openly admit, I am/was (still undecided whether I'll ever go back, I don't miss been broken all the time) awful at BJJ in the 5+ years I was active (I still love it though, just 100000x better at stand up).

This is going from experience as been one of the runts (& ****, plenty of runts who are amazing training there) when I was training with team Ryano, so it's different in my eyes I guess!

Totally agree, Technique/Skill > Strength but as I said I found the stronger I got (which wasn't that strong) the easier it was to make openings & get into positions to use my skills!

Hmmm maybe when I actually develop some skill and become a bit more rounded out I'll agree. I'll get back to you in a few years!

"I don't think he's correct. Maybe that's why your username is your username?!"

Maybe I'm so strong I got that username. Like calling a huge guy call John, little John.
    Or maybe I'm really weak but able to beat really strong guys at bjj.

OP, being stronger will obviously help so by all means lift weights while you can't go to the bjj club. My point was the one should never miss a technique class in favour of lifting weights.

I'm not sure if j fit does jits but I can tell you he doesn't know much about it.
    The best bjj players in Ireland don't spend much time worrying about lifting.

"I don't think he's correct. Maybe that's why your username is your username?!"

Maybe I'm so strong I got that username. Like calling a huge guy call John, little John.
    Or maybe I'm really weak but able to beat really strong guys at bjj.

OP, being stronger will obviously help so by all means lift weights while you can't go to the bjj club. My point was the one should never miss a technique class in favour of lifting weights.

I'm not sure if j fit does jits but I can tell you he doesn't know much about it.
    The best bjj players in Ireland don't spend much time worrying about lifting.

I know enough to know strength is important and plays a role. Maybe you don't know much about strength yourself?

So strength plays a role. Thanks for that.
    Stop talking about my strength, it's not a thread about my ability to lift weights.
    Now I know you don't do bjj.
    How about you ring around and find out who the best Irish bjj players are. Ask them for their strength programme. Maybe you can give them one if you don't agree with what they tell you, since you know enough.

Stop talking about my strength, it's not a thread about my ability to lift weights.
    How about you ring around and find out who the best Irish bjj players are. Ask them for their strength programme. Maybe you can give them one if you don't agree with what they tell you, since you know enough.

Easily riled?

I actually wouldn't mind knowing Chris Bowe's strength program :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

J-Fit & Stillweak....get a room. If ye want to continue having a go at each other take it to PM's

Remember people attack the post not the poster. Personal attacks are a breach of the forum charter and any more of this will result in me getting the ban hammer....and im plenty strong enough to use it!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

This is probably the thing I blog most about and also the thing I get the most stick for.

http://grapplerman.com/2011/07/11/musings-on-how-to-get-fitter-for-bjj-part-deux/
    There's a few more in there if you do some hunting around. I have a helper on board now to organise the sections and topics a bit better now.

Also wrote for VPX on the same here.
    http://www.vpxsports.com/article-detail/training/the-limiting-factor-in-combat-sports

have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Cool article Barry.

Out of interest, you mention 'bullet proofing' the knees. What kind of training do you do to address this? It's something I'm fairly concerned about since I started back at bjj.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

This is probably the thing I blog most about and also the thing I get the most stick for.

http://grapplerman.com/2011/07/11/musings-on-how-to-get-fitter-for-bjj-part-deux/
    There's a few more in there if you do some hunting around. I have a helper on board now to organise the sections and topics a bit better now.

Also wrote for VPX on the same here.
    http://www.vpxsports.com/article-detail/training/the-limiting-factor-in-combat-sports

have a look.

I enjoyed reading your blog. Just wondering what you do to strengthen your neck and shoulders. I'm not doing BJJ at the moment so my facilities are myself and a gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,099 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hanley, do you not think you had an advantage when you were starting out being far stronger then the avergae Jitz guy at your size? I've seen it happen plenty of times with guys that have natural mongo strength starting out progress quicker then your average joe walking in for the first time!

Obviously having the strength is an advantage over not having it. Increased strength in isolation is going to help everything physical activity really.
    But it probably took years to get to that strength level. Those years would of been better spent on raw technique.

Mellor wrote: »
    Obviously having the strength is an advantage over not having it. Increased strength in isolation is going to help everything physical activity really.
    But it probably took years to get to that strength level. Those years would of been better spent on raw technique.

This.

5 years of PL + 1 year of BJJ, orrrrrrrrrrrrr 6 years of BJJ. Which leaves me better at BJJ? Hmmm.

This.

5 years of PL + 1 year of BJJ, orrrrrrrrrrrrr 6 years of BJJ. Which leaves me better at BJJ? Hmmm.

How about 6 years of concurrent strength and jujitsu?

J-Fit wrote: »

If either took away from the other, then probably pretty mediocre at both.

Incidentally, I did spend 2 months trying to do both. I got frustrated with my strength numbers and was always drained on the mats.

Maybe people just don't understand BJJ, but I'm really shocked that there's such a difficulty understanding how such a skill based sport can be improved by practice over just pumping the guns.

I'm sure there's a post on Barry's blog somewhere about how I'd kill the majority of the blue belts in strength or conditioning workouts, and then on the mats I get manhandled by the same dudes.

J-Fit wrote: »

In all seriousness, an no call-y out BS, have you ever trained BJJ? And if you have, have you rolled against good guys (not even really good guys, just good guys). Because as much as I'd like it to, strength gives you sweet FA of an advantage in my experience. Maybe in nogi, but once the gi goes on and grips come into play it's a totally different ball game.

If either took away from the other, then probably pretty mediocre at both.

I'll answer this post first. The thing is, I see strength training making you a better jujitsu exponent, but jujitsu won't make you better at strength training. Obviously one benefits the other so it can be part of a multi-modal approach.
    Incidentally, I did spend 2 months trying to do both. I got frustrated with my strength numbers and was always drained on the mats.

I spent all last year doing endurance work with some strength thrown in. My numbers and muscle mass went south. My body fat went north. It frustrated the crap out of me. That's human nature. I'm sure if Royce Gracie ever strength trained for jujitsu performance, and I doubt he did, he wouldn't be too hung up on the his deadlift totals. Judging by your background it's natural that you would but that wouldn't be true for everybody.
    Maybe people just don't understand BJJ, but I'm really shocked that there's such a difficulty understanding how such a skill based sport can be improved by practice over just pumping the guns.

I think you'll grant me the benefit of the doubt that pumping the guns is not even in the same ballpark as the strength work I'm talking about.
    I'm sure there's a post on Barry's blog somewhere about how I'd kill the majority of the blue belts in strength or conditioning workouts, and then on the mats I get manhandled by the same dudes.

Didn't you say they are more experienced than you? That makes it unsurprising. How would those guys fare in a lifting meet?

• Advertisement

In all seriousness, an no call-y out BS, have you ever trained BJJ? And if you have, have you rolled against good guys (not even really good guys, just good guys). Because as much as I'd like it to, strength gives you sweet FA of an advantage in my experience. Maybe in nogi, but once the gi goes on and grips come into play it's a totally different ball game.

And now this one. No I've never trained it but it would take a lot of evidence based examples to convince me that strength isn't an influential factor. To what extent, who knows?

That's just how I feel about it based on my interpretation of human physiology/biomechanics.

Having said all that, I'll rarely talk in absolutes. There's clearly guys who don't strength train that are succeeding at jujitsu. It's important to be open minded.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement