Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Gaming Build?

Options
  • 27-03-2012 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? €600 (would prefer 550)

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming/Video Editing. Mainly older games like Fallout New Vegas, and maybe some newer games so I'm guessing I need a good GPU and PSU?

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? I have a LG LK33 that takes HDMI and RGB so I need a mobo with them cable connectors. No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Mouse,Wireless Card,DVD Burner

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Not sure, so no

8. How can you pay? Would prefer cash but I can do card.

9. When are you purchasing? Might wait for ivy bridge so processor price goes down.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Dublin and Kildare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

right, we are not intel fanboys or AMD haters, but for loe budget build i3 sandy bridge will be more efficient.

for gaming you will have to have a GPU. here is from dabs a 500eu PC which will play any game out there:

Item|Price
    Fractal Design Core 1000 Mid-Tower Case|€36.01
    Corsair 430 Watt CX430 V2 Builder Series 80 Plus Power Supply|€40.50
    Gigabyte H61M-S2PV S1155 Intel H61 DDR3 ATX|€49.16
    Intel Core i3-2100 3.10GHz LGA1155 3MB|€107.19
    Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333MHZ Memory Module|€40.43
    Seagate 500GB Barracuda SATA-600 7200RPM 16MB 3.5" Hard Drive|€73.48
    XFX ATI Radeon 6870 900MHz 1GB PCI-Express HDMI|€159.27
    Shipping|Free!
    Total|€506.04

you will need windows thought m8.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Craig B

right, we are not intel fanboys or AMD haters, but for loe budget build i3 sandy bridge will be more efficient.

for gaming you will have to have a GPU. here is from dabs a 500eu PC which will play any game out there:

Item|Price
    Fractal Design Core 1000 Mid-Tower Case|€36.01
    Corsair 430 Watt CX430 V2 Builder Series 80 Plus Power Supply|€40.50
    Gigabyte H61M-S2PV S1155 Intel H61 DDR3 ATX|€49.16
    Intel Core i3-2100 3.10GHz LGA1155 3MB|€107.19
    Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333MHZ Memory Module|€40.43
    Seagate 500GB Barracuda SATA-600 7200RPM 16MB 3.5" Hard Drive|€73.48
    XFX ATI Radeon 6870 900MHz 1GB PCI-Express HDMI|€159.27
    Shipping|Free!
    Total|€506.04

you will need windows thought m8.

I have a copy of windows, but what is it that makes the i3 superior to the AMD, and if I was going intel would I be better off waiting for the ivy bridge and then buying an i5?
    Just asking cause I have no clue.

Craig B wrote: »
    I have a copy of windows, but what is it that makes the i3 superior to the AMD, and if I was going intel would I be better off waiting for the ivy bridge and then buying an i5?
    Just asking cause I have no clue.

okay, AMD and i3 are very similar in benchmarks for your budget, but i3 uses 1155 socket which will support ivy bridge CPUs. even if you wont need ivy ( i really doubt you will ), you can put i5 2400 in to that socket.

now ifyou want us to make you best deal, then fill in this form m8: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74542374

we will be able to spec a better system for your budget. plus if you can do a bank transfer, we will be bale to use german website and squizze more value out of your money.

okay, AMD and i3 are very similar in benchmarks for your budget, but i3 uses 1155 socket which will support ivy bridge CPUs. even if you wont need ivy ( i really doubt you will ), you can put i5 2400 in to that socket.

now ifyou want us to make you best deal, then fill in this form m8: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74542374

we will be able to spec a better system for your budget. plus if you can do a bank transfer, we will be bale to use german website and squizze more value out of your money.

I was taking about the price drop in current i5's when the ive bridge comes out. I'll fill in the form and re-post this thread.

OK I did the form

• Advertisement

okay, this is slightly over your budget, but this is almost the highest end pc you can build for gaming. it has a good GPU, which will play any game you will throw at it, but the only one upgraded that in future you will need to do - buy new GPU. that CPU can be overclocked up to 4.8ghz and that is the best CPU you can get for gaming, anything else is just a waste of money for very little performance.

Item|Price
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€81.59
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€188.78
    Sapphire HD6870 1G GDDR5 PCI-E DL-DVI-I+SL-DVI-D / HDMI / DP|€147.79
    Xigmatek Asgard, ATX, ohne Netzteil, schwarz|€31.61
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.99
    8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 CL9|€38.01
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB, SATA II (HD502HJ)|€70.34
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€618.10

option 2:

this is going to be prety much same performance now, but with bigger HDD and lower budget. drawbacks? when you will need upgrading you will have to upgrade cpu and mobo too. dont understand me wrong, its still going to be a very powerful system, but not upgradable much.

Item|Price
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.99
    8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 CL9|€38.01
    ASRock H61DE/S3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€58.13
    Intel Core i5-2400 Box, LGA1155|€165.43
    Sapphire HD6870 1G GDDR5 PCI-E DL-DVI-I+SL-DVI-D / HDMI / DP|€147.79
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€87.58
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€556.92

Will I wait for ivy bridge so that processor prices go down?

Will I wait for ivy bridge so that processor prices go down?

Well ivy bridge is not great so far judging from some benchmarks. 2500k is more then enough for years.
    Remember that pc parts newer go just down. It will drop max 20eu, and if you wait longer it will just grow in price, because part will be out of production.

Well in the end of the day it's your call to wait 2-3 months to save 20eu.

Well ivy bridge is not great so far judging from some benchmarks. 2500k is more then enough for years.
    Remember that pc parts newer go just down. It will drop max 20eu, and if you wait longer it will just grow in price, because part will be out of production.

Well in the end of the day it's your call to wait 2-3 months to save 20eu.

Ok, i'll buy wirhin the next 4 weeks to a month at latest, thanks, ill post build pics when i'm done

I'm gonna change that RAM for this, http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44312&agid=1192 (its the same just cheaper and with heatspreaders and get a better psu this: http://www.dabs.ie/products/corsair-500-watt-cx500-v2-builder-series-80-plus-power-supply-7K9H.html?refs=55420000&src=3

Is it all compatable, the price will be around 630

• Advertisement

If you got money then upgrade psu, but don't bother with ram. Heat spreaders have feck all advantage and just make it look cool and gives troubles when you need to install a better cooler. The extra money you want to spend would be better of spent on aftermarket CPU cooler, so you could overclock it to more and have quiter machine. That's ofc if you decided to go 2500k build

If you got money then upgrade psu, but don't bother with ram. Heat spreaders have feck all advantage and just make it look cool and gives troubles when you need to install a better cooler. The extra money you want to spend would be better of spent on aftermarket CPU cooler, so you could overclock it to more and have quiter machine. That's ofc if you decided to go 2500k build

Ok ill leave the RAM but is the PSU worth it? Just asking questions so I dont end up with a machine I have to keep putting money into, If I'm getting an aftermarket cooler it will probably be for christmas and be watercooling, (overclockers favourites :P) (If the case doesnt support water cooling I'll get a new one further down the line)

EDIT
    sorta nooby but what does ofc mean?

Ok ill leave the RAM but is the PSU worth it? Just asking questions so I dont end up with a machine I have to keep putting money into, If I'm getting an aftermarket cooler it will probably be for christmas and be watercooling, (overclockers favourites :P) (If the case doesnt support water cooling I'll get a new one further down the line)

EDIT
    sorta nooby but what does ofc mean?

ofc = of course

well, i personally love to have a biggish PSU in my PCs, because you newer know when you will need it. who knows maybe down the line i will be able get cheap second card for SLI/CF? Plus it is always nice to have small bit extra room for overclocking. so if you can afford bump up PSU, then go for it. you are not going stupid big like 1kw anyway. perfectly in your case i would get something like 550w-600w psu, which will mean in the future you will be able to stick any single core GPU and have stupid amount of room for OCing.

ofc = of course

well, i personally love to have a biggish PSU in my PCs, because you newer know when you will need it. who knows maybe down the line i will be able get cheap second card for SLI/CF? Plus it is always nice to have small bit extra room for overclocking. so if you can afford bump up PSU, then go for it. you are not going stupid big like 1kw anyway. perfectly in your case i would get something like 550w-600w psu, which will mean in the future you will be able to stick any single core GPU and have stupid amount of room for OCing.

Thanks

Right here is my final build, wont order now but here it is (the entire cart from hardwareversand)

Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 188:78

Cooler Master GX Series PSU, 80Plus Bronze - 550 Watt, 63:60

ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX 81:59

Sapphire HD6870 1G GDDR5 PCI-E DL-DVI-I+SL-DVI-D / HDMI / DP 147:79

Xigmatek Asgard, ATX, ohne Netzteil, schwarz (case) 31:61

8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 CL9 38:01

Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB, SATA II (HD502HJ) 70:34

Sharkoon FireGlider Mouse 20:24

Total+Shipping= 640:90, what are the tax rates like?

EDIT
    I heard the PSU isnt the best so I'll re-edit this with the new one

Right replaced it with the coolermaster 550w for 63:60 or will I get the 650w for and extra 6 euro?

ok ill go with that one, which brings the build cost down to like 625, so thanks!

Advertisement