Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miami ink

Options
  • 26-03-2012 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

How much would it be to get a tattoo on the upper part of the arm similar to Shane Mosley or the rock in Miami ink..anyone know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

"Contact them" would be my answer. Some "high profile" artists would charge through the nose just because they can. (Or the fame goes to their head). Personally I'd never get inked by anyone that was in a show as there are far better artists out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

popcorn.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

More importantly, why would you go to Miami ink just to get a piece that's going to copy/be adapted from someone elses work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I think he means he just wants a tattoo like the one on the show as opposed to getting one done by someone on the show?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Just a guess would be a couple of thousand dollars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Maire2009 wrote: »
    I think he means he just wants a tattoo like the one on the show as opposed to getting one done by someone on the show?! :confused:

I think he actually wants it done by one of the artists in Miami ink cause I dont think the rock or Shane Mosley got tattooed on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    I think he actually wants it done by one of the artists in Miami ink cause I dont think the rock or Shane Mosley got tattooed on the show.

Ah okay now it makes sense, thanks. I watched that show once I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

If you're getting a tattoo by one of the artist get it because you like their style and think it would be suitable for the design or they would being something to it no-one else would. Don't get it done by the, because they're famous. I'd love a tattoo by Megan Massacre but unless I want something I think she would do well because it's her style, is similar to former work etc. and no other artist would manage it as well then I won't bother looking into it at all.

As Damo has said why bother searching for a particular artist when it's not their work your tattoo will be based off of? Surely that defeats the purpose of paying God knows how much and waiting ages for them to tattoo you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

A mate of mine booked with one of their artists to get a particular dragon on his arm. He got a flight to Florida and went up to the shop. He was stopped by a big, burly f**ker at the door and refused entry. He demanded to speak to a manager and a woman with a clipboard came up to him. He explained the situation and that he had booked, and she told him to come back after midnight (WTF??) Anyway, he did and he eventually got in.

He explained what he wanted and the artist in question asked him if he had enough money to cover the cost. Gary asked how much it would be and he was told the going rate is $160 per square inch. He totted up how much the tattoo he was looking for would cost, and it totalled at $7,000!!! :eek:

Needless to say, he told them to get f**ked and he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

A mate of mine booked with one of their artists to get a particular dragon on his arm. He got a flight to Florida and went up to the shop. He was stopped by a big, burly f**ker at the door and refused entry. He demanded to speak to a manager and a woman with a clipboard came up to him. He explained the situation and that he had booked, and she told him to come back after midnight (WTF??) Anyway, he did and he eventually got in.

He explained what he wanted and the artist in question asked him if he had enough money to cover the cost. Gary asked how much it would be and he was told the going rate is $160 per square inch. He totted up how much the tattoo he was looking for would cost, and it totalled at $7,000!!! :eek:

Holy fcuk what a joke why anyone would be willing to pay that is beyond me, but there obviously finding people who buy into the hype of a tv show and are willing to pay it. Juust being met at the door by a big burly bouncer and being told to come back after midnight would have been enough for me to walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

he was told the going rate is $160 per square inch.

:eek: Madness!fools and their money.....................

Might have been an good idea to get a quote before he flew over though eh!

...obviously finding people who buy into the hype of a tv show and are willing to pay it....

Yep, and that's all it is.
    Might have been an good idea to get a quote before he flew over though eh!

That's what I said to him and it wasn't a nice look on his face when he glared at me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Eurm would it not be standard practive to get a quote before booking an appointment, even if the parlour was just down the road from you.
    You're making your friend sound like an awful idiot, there must be more to that story.

tuxy wrote: »
    Eurm would it not be standard practive to get a quote before booking an appointment, even if the parlour was just down the road from you.
    You're making your friend sound like an awful idiot, there must be more to that story.

In fairness to his freind I seriously doubt he was expecting it to be anywhere near 7000. He might have had plenty set aside for it.

In fairness to his freind I seriously doubt he was expecting it to be anywhere near 7000. He might have had plenty set aside for it.

He did. He was primarily going over for the tatt, but staying a few days to make the most of it. He had brought a couple of grand with him to cover the tatt and food/drink for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

That's absolutely ridiculous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

PaulieC wrote: »
    That's absolutely ridiculous!!

Then again, fools and their money...

Then again, fools and their money...
    Well charging that much for a tattoo is an artist píssing all over his profession imo

The argument could be made that they're making the most of their success while their at their prime but how they could justify that price, no matter how good the quality, is beyond me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

PaulieC wrote: »
    Well charging that much for a tattoo is an artist píssing all over his profession imo

The argument could be made that they're making the most of their success while their at their prime but how they could justify that price, no matter how good the quality, is beyond me!

Believe me, I don't agree with it... but goods and services are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them. If someone is willing to shell out that much cash for a tattoo, do you blame the artist? Really?
    The artist isn't forcing the customer to come to them, they've set down a price and the customer is obviously willing to pay for it.

Believe me, I don't agree with it... but goods and services are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them. If someone is willing to shell out that much cash for a tattoo, do you blame the artist? Really?
    The artist isn't forcing the customer to come to them, they've set down a price and the customer is obviously willing to pay for it.
    Fair point....I can imagine the artist thinking up the price in his head, he must have been laughing his balls off when he told the staff about the new price list! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The sickening thing about them charging that price is it costs them less than $40 in total to actually do the tattoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

My girlfriend got one done there and most of the artists have a minimum charge regardless of the size.

Ami James has a minimum charge of $1000.

Dermighty wrote: »
    My girlfriend got one done there and most of the artists have a minimum charge regardless of the size.

Im not being smart but why oh why was she willing to fleeced for one of them to tattoo her? There better tattoo artists out there who wouldnt charge yeh half as much.

Im not being smart but why oh why was she willing to fleeced for one of them to tattoo her? There better tattoo artists out there who wouldnt charge yeh half as much.
    I'd imagine for the prestige of saying it was done be a tattoo artist who's had quite a lot of exposure on TV and would be well known even by people who wouldn't know much about tattoos....such as myself!

Other than that I don't know why!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

The price is high because they have the demand. People from far flung islands are willing to pay that money because they want a tattoo from some one off the tv. That is what you are paying for. Why you would want that is a mystery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Why you would want that is a mystery.
    Ego and bragging rights are no mystery, it's a common human trait.

She didn't get a tattoo from Ami James and she didn't pay anywhere near $1000 for it.

She got it done by....I forget the name....

The tattoo itself was more important than the fame of the person that did it, it had a very high level of sentimentality attached so when she got it done she wanted it to be by one of the best. It's a really good tattoo, regardless of the price.

She didn't get a tattoo from Ami James and she didn't pay anywhere near $1000 for it.

She got it done by....I forget the name....

The tattoo itself was more important than the fame of the person that did it, it had a very high level of sentimentality attached so when she got it done she wanted it to be by one of the best. It's a really good tattoo, regardless of the price.

Your right as in good quality tattoo is worth not trying to do on cheap you pay for quality, but the problem is there not the best just because they have fame from a tv show doesnt make them the best when youre getting one of them to tattoo you youre paying for there name not the quality of there work there better tattoo artists out there.

Your right as in good quality tattoo is worth not trying to do on cheap you pay for quality, but the problem is there not the best just because they have fame from a tv show doesnt make them the best when youre getting one of them to tattoo you youre paying for there name not the quality of there work there better tattoo artists out there.

Well both of us knew there were better artists out there. There's always someone better really, but for most people going for someone with a well documented past history of excellent quality is worth going for. There are lots of tattoo artists who have excellent portfolios and excellent track records, but they are not as well known as Miami Ink, so with Miami Ink you get the name, the quality and pretty much a guarantee that its going to be good.

There are probably loads of great people to go to in Miami, but if I hadn't done a load of research before going to Miami I'd probably try there first and see what the price was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭chris_c

does anyone know what chris nunez was charging when he was in Ireland??

Advertisement