Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daft questions

Options
  • 24-03-2012 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

just thinking of getting into pleasure boating this summer but am unsure of the logistics of it so these may seem like daft questions but I can't seem to get answers elsewhere so hopefully someone will help out.

I'm thinking of just getting a runaround for the first year, something like a 14 foot speedboat with a 50-60hp engine. I live in Dublin and noticed down by Ringsend yacht club there are a lot of similar boats attached to buoys out in the water, away from shore.

Firstly I'm keen to know how do these owners get out to their boats to use them ? They hardly swim I'm presuming so is there some sort of common rowing boat for use by all ? Also what is the story with buoys in open water, are they owned ? If so do I need to get permission to anchor one to the river bed ?

Finally are boats generally considered safe being left on the river for the summer ?

Thanks in advance :).

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi Ratm the moorings in ringsend and local harbours have to be put down with the permission of the sailing club or harbour master they are not cheep to build or have put down and thats if you get a space as most places ore full or out of the protection of the harbour. In places like Skerries the club has a punt to bring people out to their boats and some have their own. Your best bet would be to just use the slipways and launch and retrieve yourself.
    If you like you can join us at http://powerboat.iwai.ie/ for a bit of fun :D

Advertisement