Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP-Link Powerline Adaptors £34 on Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

At similar price here
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Mini-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter-Twin-Pack-/280835774678?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item41631dd8d6#ht_3176wt_1036

I don't have these devices ...... but I wondered about the claim of
    200Mb/s connection when the ethernet port in the device is
    10/100Mb/s

.... seems strange ..... else I am misunderstanding something .....
    Standards and Protocols: HomePlug AV, IEEE802.3, IEEE802.3u
    MPN: TL-PA211KIT
    Interface: 10/100Mbps Ethernet Port
    Device Type: Powerline Adaptors
    Data Transfer Rates: 200Mbps
    Range: 300M

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

10/100Mb/s

200Mbps is the theoretical maximum, but the devices will never operate at anything close to that. Real usable throughput would be around 70-100Mbps which is why they don't have gigabit ports on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

That is a fantastic price, I paid nearly double that (in euros) only last week.
    Going to order another set from this link...
    @op thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

I'm using these at the moment and they work great.

I got mine from dabs.ie for €50 only a few weeks ago, so this is a decent price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Bought mine when last offer was around

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75379715

They are great, small factor, low power consumption, work better than the ebuyer ones I used to have.

Might get these just to have as a backup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

At similar price here
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Mini-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter-Twin-Pack-/280835774678?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item41631dd8d6#ht_3176wt_1036

10/100Mb/s

Correct, the '200mbps' is a sly marketing term. Max theoretical speed is 100Mbps in either direction. They call it 200 because it is full duplex (ie 100 up + 100 down)

In the real world you'll get about 30-60Mbps throughput from these depending on distance and interference etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Correct, the '200mbps' is a sly marketing term. Max theoretical speed is 100Mbps in either direction. They call it 200 because it is full duplex (ie 100 up + 100 down)

In the real world you'll get about 30-60Mbps throughput from these depending on distance and interference etc.

I thought that might be the case ...... I would say it is not so much 'sly' as downright false advertising.

As I understand it, expected streaming rate for video would be 7MB/s (56Mb/s) ..... which puts it in more 'accessible' form .... but the numbers are too small to boast about .... and bigger (numbers) must be better :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

As I understand it, expected streaming rate for video would be 7MB/s (56Mb/s) ..... which puts it in more 'accessible' form .... but the numbers are too small to boast about .... and bigger (numbers) must be better :D

I wouldn't bank on getting that consistently, that would be close to the upper end of achievable speeds. It's quite variable depending on distance, interference etc. There's times i've only gotten 25-30Mbps.

Also with streaming video the a/v container overhead and especially protocol overhead eat into your bandwidth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

These are £29.99 on Amazon now, best price I've seen and a bargain whatever the perceived drawbacks.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340967797&sr=8-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭beanhead

for another couple of pounds - £31.79, you can get a d-link version, not sure of the pros/cons but this is what i got last night coincidentally
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003L78F6U/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Bought to get a decent signal to the network instead of the wireless-n usb I had been using which is simply insufficient except for low-res tv episodes.

new TV combo box dictated the investment!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭beanhead

Ok read teh amazon customer reviews on both these devices -
    they both seem to be able to drop down to a 1w 'sleep/eco' mode
    both have included eth cables

one difference I interpreted was the tp-link *may* be more sensitive to the router being on a different electrical circuit whereas i came across a fair few reviews specifying this as not a problem on the d-link.

something to consider

edit: reading up on fusebox RCD - if your fusebox has RCD instead of wire fuses & the adapters are on different rings, this can be problematic more than likely with any powerline adapter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

The exact same 200mps ones are in Harvey Normans for €99 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭elsparko

thats probably in harveys MASSIVE sale too.

as regards transfer on the tp-links, i have 4 of them in our house and stream 1080p video from pc's to media players, consoles etc with no problems at all, and as far as i'm concerned that's all the proof you need for considering a set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Gone back up to £31.75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

beanhead wrote: »

edit: reading up on fusebox RCD - if your fusebox has RCD instead of wire fuses & the adapters are on different rings, this can be problematic more than likely with any powerline adapter

Any electrician is welcome to contradict me but I think that set up only applies in the UK, we don't use wired fuses in Ireland.

Advertisement