Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP-Link 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet Adapter

Options
  • 09-11-2011 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Got them last week, work like a charm. Great value

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

What sort of speed are you getting with them. I've read that they only produce about 70Mbps in real use rather than the 200 rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

zarquon wrote: »
    What sort of speed are you getting with them. I've read that they only produce about 70Mbps in real use rather than the 200 rating.

200Mbps powerline are actually 100Mbps up/down so the '200' is a misleading marketing term.

And 100Mbps in either direction is the theoretical speed you would get over zero distance, no interference, etc.

In the real world they get about 30-60% of that. I've got these ones and I get about 5MB/s (40Mb/s) over most of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Thanks its the Super saver delivery that makes these a real bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭infocal

just bought one! thanks guys!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

infocal wrote: »
    just bought one! thanks guys!!

Two? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Two? :D

One pack of two :p

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭infocal

yes "two" in one box

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

bought a pair, many thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

Hopefully these will be compatible with the eBuyer ones a lot of us got a while back. Thanks OP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

what do they do? saw some on ibood with a router which worked out dearer than amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

what do they do? saw some on ibood with a router which worked out dearer than amazon.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Basically they give you wired Internet access way better than wireless and a tad less than full wired in any room in the house via your existing electrical house wiring.

I use min for my sons Xbox which is a room other than the one the router is in. He games a lot and finds them great.

Plug one in next to the router, connect a RJ45 network cable from it to a port on your router. Plug the second one into any power outlet in any room in your house and using the second RJ45 network cable it gives you internet access.

HomePlugSetup.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pajoemccracken

Hi,
    Have to agree that they are a great deal.
    I bought them from Amazon last and installed last and set up my new Sony internet Tv.
    It all works a treat.
    Watched a movie on my Tv that was stored on my PC through the network set up using the tp-link powerline.
    They are a fantastic privce compared to similar 200Mbps Netgear ones sold in
    Currys that I spotted yesterday(see attached).

Pajoe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

I got the ethernet adapters mentioned in this old thread -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056101711

Does anyone know would it be possible to add the adapters mentioned in this thread to increase my home network? They would have to work with my current ones.

Has anyone here done that before?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭settings

I have 4 of these in use in the house and they are really great. I use them to stream media from a server to htpcs. Very easy to use and so neat compared to what I had in mind befoer I heard about these :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

In this twin pack, is one plug the master and one the slave? ie. If I bought two twin packs, would a specific one from each pack have to be plugged into the router and then use the other two around the house, or could I just plug in one, and use the other 3 wherever?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭settings

Soarer wrote: »
    In this twin pack, is one plug the master and one the slave? ie. If I bought two twin packs, would a specific one from each pack have to be plugged into the router and then use the other two around the house, or could I just plug in one, and use the other 3 wherever?

no they are identical, you can even buy single packs. They just act as network cable between 2 points (or more) so you dont need to worry.

just plug any one in the router and it will put the other 3 online + on the network

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Nice one.

So what about this as a scenario. A certain someone has unlimited 24mb broadband and their neighbour doesn't.
    Could one of these be plugged into the router, an extension lead run from one house to the other, and then another plug plugged into the extension at the far end to be plugged into the neighbours pc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Nice one.

So what about this as a scenario. A certain someone has unlimited 24mb broadband and their neighbour doesn't.
    Could one of these be plugged into the router, an extension lead run from one house to the other, and then another plug plugged into the extension at the far end to be plugged into the neighbours pc?

Its possible yes. But can hinder the speed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Nice one.

LOL...:D

imagesCAENUIF0.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I believe they don't work well over extension leads. Hit or miss really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Nice one OP, just ordered a pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Nice one.

If you've got permission to use their network then just run a LAN cable.

If you don't have permission then morals aside I don't see how you would sneak a homeplug into their house without them noticing and then run an extension cable from one of their power outlets, out the window and across into your house.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Nice one.

Or you could .....just ...run a ...network ......cable....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Peter B wrote: »
    I got the ethernet adapters mentioned in this old thread -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056101711

Does anyone know would it be possible to add the adapters mentioned in this thread to increase my home network? They would have to work with my current ones.

Has anyone here done that before?

I'm curious about this too. As I have 2 solwise (i think) adaptors and I'm wondering if they could all be used together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

MarkR wrote: »
    I believe they don't work well over extension leads. Hit or miss really.

They work fine over extensions but speed varies on the length of cable and whatever the cable is servicing.

They don't work on extensions with surge protection

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Another option is buy a length Cat5e network cable and run that from the PC to the powerline adapter. I did this recently with a 5m cable (€6 in PC World) and it works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

tok9 wrote: »
    I'm curious about this too. As I have 2 solwise (i think) adaptors and I'm wondering if they could all be used together.

Yes, they can. I've used Solwise ones with a pair that I got in Lidl some time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

tok9 wrote: »

If they are the same speed (200mbps) then they should work fine. You can't mix different speed homeplug adapters.

Advertisement