Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DLR BAY 10k: 6th Aug 2012: Dun Laoghaire, Co Dublin

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Did you place it at the same spot as last year? There was a slight change of route at the start of the race, that would have added an initial 80m before last year's 5k marker.

Start was moved to accommodate the route change, so the 5k marker would have been in the same spot as the finish line didn't move.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

3 stars (average)
    tunguska wrote: »
    In the interest of feedback I'll say a few things about yesterdays race, which had positives and negatives:

Negatives:

- Course was long. Had it at 6.3miles which is far outside the garmins margin of error. Usually its 6.22/23 even up to 6.25. But thats too big a difference to just fob off. Thats a good 40 - 45 seconds of running, which is a lot.

Just wondering why you would use miles when measuring a 10k race, makes no sense to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Squamous

4 stars (good)
    Using Daftlogic.com's Google Maps based distance calculator (apparently accurate enough) I get a distance of 10.4Km. I was pretty careful with the waypoint placement. Wonder if this means our 10k times are even better when corrected for the extra distance?

Screen_Shot005.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Blacktoe

Really enjoyed the race. According to my garmin the 5k mat was off by over .2k. At 8k marker my garmin read 8.20k. Overall distance 6.31miles at the end (didn't notice the distance in k's at end, only got overall distance when downloaded).

Anyway, very well organised race, nice route with plenty of uphill bits but equally some great downhill and flats so overall a very good route in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

Did you place it at the same spot as last year? There was a slight change of route at the start of the race this year, that would have added an initial 80m before last year's 5k marker.

I placed it at the 5km marker which was def further up the hill compared to 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

3 stars (average)
    Excellent race again this year, really enjoyable (even with the hills).

My Garmin measured it at 10.12 Km so not too far off

Only gripe is number collection on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Start was moved to accommodate the route change, so the 5k marker would have been in the same spot as the finish line didn't move.

I talked to you and the race director after and you both said that the course had been measured to AAI standards. Fair enough. But did someone actually put on a garmin and run the course to double check?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

3 stars (average)
    ChampionChip stated that the 5k mark was moved from last year but it shouldn't have moved if the start was also moved to reflect the distance added by the detour. Perhaps there was a bit of confusion with that ? Anyway I'd much prefer a course to be 100 metres long than short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I think boards.ie should have some kind of filter that blocks any post in the Events thread that includes the words 'According to my Garmin ...'

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

Agreed. Garmins are a good training tool but that is it. No AAI course is measured using a garmin. The Dublin Marathon measured 26.4 on my garmin 2 years ago but I am not gonna claim the course was long cos my watch said so. I regularly run with club mates and we have often been 200m different at the end of a 8-10 mile run on exact same garmin watches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

tunguska wrote: »

- Course was long. Had it at 6.3miles which is far outside the garmins margin of error. Usually its 6.22/23 even up to 6.25. But thats too big a difference to just fob off. Thats a good 40 - 45 seconds of running, which is a lot.

Based on your distances above, the discrepancy would be more like 20 - 25 seconds, not 40 - 45.

Advertisement