Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now is the worst time ever to buy an Android phone

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

cormie wrote: »
    Just attempted this. Will see if it works and report back in a few days, or sooner if the problem is still there.. thanks again

EDIT: Just restarted the phone and am getting a "Sorry, the application Messaging (process com.android.mms) has stopped unexepctedly. Please try again) with the only option being force close.

I go into my sms client, go sms, and the two message I had there are no longer given the contact title but just called (1) and (1)..

I wrote a message and pressed send from gosms and it appeared to send ok, but when I went back to the menu, it's not there. I also just texted myself from cabbage desktop on the laptop and didn't receive it :(

Ok, I think I fixed the problem. Went to Rom Manager and chose "fix permissions" rebooted and all seems to be fine again, I never got the text I send myself earlier so I'm guessing any text sent to me in that 15/20 minute span is lost in the airwaves forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I'm on the lookout to change my phone & have been doing research on the options. I think the S2 is just a little to large so what is the best option for a phone with a 3.5 to 4 inch screen. Was thinking about a HTC but there are so many. About €300 would be my limit.

It may never be a good time to buy an Android phone but imo if you bought a sgs2 since it came out, then you have the very best phone.
    Even if the sgs3 is on the horizon, will it have absolutely cannot live without features that will make the sgs2 obsolete? I think not! However even though my sgs2 does everything i need and so much more, i will still be drooling over the sgs3 and probably buy it just because its the latest and greatest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

jgbyr wrote: »
    I'm on the lookout to change my phone & have been doing research on the options. I think the S2 is just a little to large so what is the best option for a phone with a 3.5 to 4 inch screen. Was thinking about a HTC but there are so many. About €300 would be my limit.

I don't know if the lumia's are doing android now, they're 3.7", nice phone. I have a xperia ray which is a great phone, but it's 3.3", might be a bit small for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

srsly78 wrote: »
    You are very much the exception I think. What height are you? SGS2 is perfect size imo, no way I could go back to using a midget phone.

The HTC Desire is hardly a "midget phone", to be fair.

I'm 6'5" and personally find the SGS2 to be on the large side. I appreciate the phone but I tend to agree with Captain Chaos that the Desire is more comfortable to hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I had a Desire. It feels like a lump of lead compared to the sgs2. Smaller screen, but heavier phone = how can you possibly prefer this :confused:

I agree about the size of the phones. I have finally given up on the SGS2 after 9 months of use. The screen is too big and the phone is far too thin to hold comfortably. I have gone back to using the HTC Desire, ideal size and thick enough to grip without it slipping out of my hands all the time. Perfect form factor and no need at all to go bigger than this for a phone. If you need a bigger screen, get a table, end of.

You are very much the exception I think. What height are you? SGS2 is perfect size imo, no way I could go back to using a midget phone.

I wouldn't say so. Very few people can hold a phone the size of the sgs2 and operate it fully with one hand. of course its popular coz its big and flashy, but honestly I want a phone that I can use comfortably with one hand, keeping my other hand free, and alot of people are the same. but at the end of the day there's choice, which is good coz different people want different things, say vs the single choice you have with iPhone

Err I can use it without problems. Have you actually tried adjusting to one, or did you just try it for 30 seconds?

Err I can use it without problems. Have you actually tried adjusting to one, or did you just try it for 30 seconds?

I've had the Galaxy S2 for a month now and feel fully qualified to comment on the merits of both phones. The S2 is a wonderful piece of technology and I'm glad that I upgraded to one, but it's not as comfortable in the hand as the Desire is, and clearly I'm not the only person who thinks that.

Take it easy this isn't as cock size contest lol. My problem with it was I couldn't reach the upper reaches of the screen with my thumb, also I found it a struggle with some of the buttons, all one handed like I said, it just didnt feel comfortable in my hand in general, my two friends with me concurred, so in the end I went for a smaller phone which felt much more comfortable (to me) to use.

Of course some say sgs2 owners are compensating for something :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

I've created a new thread for the ICS/SMS discussion

Strangely I find sgs2 easier to use with left hand than right. Probably coz of the stuff in corners (I'm right handed).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Bad Panda wrote: »
    The article doesn't really state (with any new insight) as to why it's the worst time to buy an Android phone except to say that better technology will be out in 6-12 months time.

Like we don't know that. :rolleyes:

Besides, even if the tech is better in 6 months time, it's hardly going to be so good as to render, for example, the HTC One X obsolete.

Agreed, article was pretty poor

Lost all credability when he said game changer.

Although been ticking over the thought of grabbing the Galaxy III when it hits. Got the II on release day and its been epic, but upgrading might free up this one to the misses.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Bad Panda wrote: »
    The article doesn't really state (with any new insight) as to why it's the worst time to buy an Android phone except to say that better technology will be out in 6-12 months time.

Like we don't know that. :rolleyes:

Besides, even if the tech is better in 6 months time, it's hardly going to be so good as to render, for example, the HTC One X obsolete.

Agreed, article was pretty poor

Lost all credability when he said game changer.

Although been ticking over the thought of grabbing the Galaxy III when it hits. Got the II on release day and its been epic, but upgrading might free up this one to the misses.

I was to use that excuse for upgrading as well lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I don't see what height has to do with manual dexterity.
    I say this as someone that is 5ft6 and can use their One X one handed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

The article was written in March, before the Launch of the HTC One X etc - so if you were about to get yourself into a 24 month contract as he said, yes it would have been a pretty bad time to buy a phone as you are just missing the launch of the new new flagship phones. Although if you did buy an S2 you're not doing that bad really its still an excellent piece of kit. I'm not sure if there are any more super duper phones on the horizon after the One X and the S3 - but if you buy either of these you'll be safe enough for another 12 months or so. At the pace things change now its better to stick to 12 month contracts, even in 18 things can change significantly - presuming you are someone who does like to have the latest and greatest of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fatfacee

Its never a good time to buy an Android phone. Its the wild jungle. Some one will have a new phone or better specs the day you buy yours ;)

Very true!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Not true. There are not very manufacturers at the top end - mainly HTC and Samsung. They generally bring out one flagship phone each year. If you wait till the S3 comes out and then chose between it and the One X, you'll certainly be good for quite a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Zascar wrote: »
    Not true. There are not very manufacturers at the top end - mainly HTC and Samsung. They generally bring out one flagship phone each year. If you wait till the S3 comes out and then chose between it and the One X, you'll certainly be good for quite a long time.
    agreed, I've had my SGS2 for almost 10 months and its only in the past few weeks that the one-x has superceded it.

tbh I think phone specs are getting mental dual core and now quad core its not needed what difference does it make really unless you're playing some mad high end games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I have an S2 nearly a year now. It's a brilliant phone. I love it. I use it mainly for browsing. I dont listen to nusic. It has a super screen for browsing. People are saying it is hard to hold. It is if you dont get a protective cover. For the first month I didnt have one and I dropped it twice. Since then I have very rarely dropped it. The cover gives me a superb grip. I dont see myself changing unless some upgrade comes out where I can talk into phone and it converts to text, for text messaging. Then again with the Irish accent it may not work anyway!
    Im paying 60 a month which is dear in these times but I got the phone for nothing which over the 18 months is great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

Well 'great' value might be stretching it a bit...

I dont see myself changing unless some upgrade comes out where I can talk into phone and it converts to text, for text messaging. Then again with the Irish accent it may not work anyway!

The S2 does that, though.... Doesn't it?

Advertisement