Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Havnt a clue what bike to buy-any advise for a total beginner

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭g0g

smacl wrote: »
    I started out on the road bike like this and never really found it as comfortable as the hybrid, and a bit freaky descending in the hoods. Now I spend the bulk of my time in the drops, which I find way more comfy and secure. Getting a new road bike, I'd select the geometry and fit based on the drops being the primary riding position. The hoods and flats are great for a change in position and the break that it provides, but IMHO a drop bar bike works best and is easiest to cycle in the drops. I found moving from a hybrid to a road bike that the hoods were the natural place for the hands, and moving into the drops psychologically very difficult (my brain seemed to think that the drops were not a safe place to be and only allowed my hands to move there under duress). Getting over this, the reverse is almost true. If I go back the hoods or flats moving at any speed, the wind brake is turned on, the transfer of weight backwards means that all the road noise is directed to the base of my spine, and the steering and controls aren't as connected.

+1 on the relaxed geometry, it makes getting used to a road bike much easier.
    Thanks, as someone looking to make the same move soon it's interesting to read how you found the changeover.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

smacl wrote: »
    I started out on the road bike like this and never really found it as comfortable as the hybrid, and a bit freaky descending in the hoods. Now I spend the bulk of my time in the drops, which I find way more comfy and secure. Getting a new road bike, I'd select the geometry and fit based on the drops being the primary riding position. The hoods and flats are great for a change in position and the break that it provides, but IMHO a drop bar bike works best and is easiest to cycle in the drops. I found moving from a hybrid to a road bike that the hoods were the natural place for the hands, and moving into the drops psychologically very difficult (my brain seemed to think that the drops were not a safe place to be and only allowed my hands to move there under duress). Getting over this, the reverse is almost true. If I go back the hoods or flats moving at any speed, the wind brake is turned on, the transfer of weight backwards means that all the road noise is directed to the base of my spine, and the steering and controls aren't as connected.

This is very atypical. I'd suggest that if you feel more substantially more comfortable on the drops than on the hoods, then you might have a bike fit issue on your hands. Yes, you should be able to ride comfortably in the drops, but the position should feel quite aggresive and low at the same time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

This is very atypical. I'd suggest that if you feel more substantially more comfortable on the drops than on the hoods, then you might have a bike fit issue on your hands. Yes, you should be able to ride comfortably in the drops, but the position should feel quite aggresive and low at the same time.

Quite possibly. I bought the bike 2nd hand as a first road bike and it is slightly on the small side for me. Coming from a hybrid, the issues I had were that the grip on the hoods and access to the controls felt less secure than with the flat bars, and everything felt much bumpier moving from 32mm tyres at 80psi to 25mm tyres at 110psi. In the hoods, weight distribution is pretty similar to the hybrid, with most of the weight on the ass and the rest on the pedals. I find the drops more balanced, with more in the legs and a proportion of weight in the hands and over the front wheel. With the compact bars, I find my hands are mostly resting on the lower bar with very light access to the area of the brakes that provide best leverage with least effort. The tops of the bars are about level with the top of saddle, so given the relatively small drop in the compact bars the position isn't that aggressive. I found descending in the hoods on a coarse surface a total nightmare (e.g. military rd to powerscourt waterfall), sore on the ass and hands, very tiring, and the hoods feeling way less secure a grip that the old flat bar hybrid. The drops are brilliant on these descents, and fast and comfy over other terrain. I'm still mucking about with the set-up and trying a longer stem this weekend, which could improve things somewhat in the hoods.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bicycle Hunter

Yeah yous are probley gonna go mad at me now but I'd say go for the road bike, you'd be suprised how far you could cycle with the road in comparison to a low to med grade hybrid. your looking for a hobby that gives you exercise, I was picturing you in dublin city practically only starting to cycle. I can see mucho advantages when doing distance in the country on the road bike.

Maybe get straigt bars and put them on then you can work your way up the drops?
    Only joking I'm sure you'll sus it out in mins. If you do go with the road bike I'd advise learning how to trough wheels, it's easy enough. thouse large pot holes can be unforgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bicycle Hunter

Lumen wrote: »
    It's a discussion forum. I'm perfectly entitled to point out when I think you're wrong, and vice versa.

Yes you are! I did not intend to to suggest otherwise but if you feal that is what was saying in the under tone then I'm sorry. I was just upset that you suggested I was scare mongerling, I was under the impression that the op hadn't cycled since child hood and was concerned for his/her safety.

I like the comment "I have yet to see a wave of deaths caused by inexperienced cyclists taking to road bikes too early. Maybe I'm not reading enough obituaries?" Can you imagine a wave of them all abreast heading toward you. It would be like a fleet of tourists on jc deco bikes.
    I've yet to see a bicycle shop recomend a road bike to a beginner but i'd say it do9es happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

As far this hybrid vs Road bike war goes I've recently defected to the road side. Well sort of...

As well as having a couple of road bikes I have a sporty high spec hybrid which I used to comute on. But it just wasn't particularly good for my short comute (3km) - despite having mud guards I still get sprayed a lot, the narrow wheels weren't very good for poor surfaces and the front chain ring is a pain in terms of getting my trowsers caught (occosionally). Other than being easier to control and signal on round about etc. it has no real advantage over a road bike. I think most people would agree a road bike is better for 50 km plus rides in the country (if only because you'll look less out of place lyrcaed up on a Saturday morning).

Now I've decided to sell my sporty hybrid and buy a hub grear city bike, and this pushed me over to the road bike side (if you only have one bike), despite having 105 derailer and generally high spec I won't get much for the sporty hybrid. Bottom line - there's not much difference between a sporty hybrid and road bike but a 1000 euro road bike will hold its value a lot better.

OP-You'll probably have 5 bikes in three years time anyway so don't worry too much;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Peadarmac1

Hi, As someone who hasn't cycled in 20+ years and then only the odd 5 mile here and there. I got a very good hybrid about 3 months ago, carbon fork, light frame etc, basically to lose weight and get fit, the reason i got the hybrid was because of a back problem and thought that the upright position would help.

I am now cycling 20+km every other day and up to 40km on sat and sun. Since i started cycling my back has improved and I am really considering changing the bike to a road bike, what I'm trying to say is that if you think you could get serious about cycling, really consider the road bike. Is there anyone that could loan you a road bike to see how you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bigalee

Yeah yous are probley gonna go mad at me now but I'd say go for the road bike, you'd be suprised how far you could cycle with the road in comparison to a low to med grade hybrid. your looking for a hobby that gives you exercise, I was picturing you in dublin city practically only starting to cycle. I can see mucho advantages when doing distance in the country on the road bike.

Maybe get straigt bars and put them on then you can work your way up the drops?
    Only joking I'm sure you'll sus it out in mins. If you do go with the road bike I'd advise learning how to trough wheels, it's easy enough. thouse large pot holes can be unforgiving.

Hi Bicycle Hunter,
    thanks for that, yeah im beginning to think along the lines of the road bike, went to one shop so far but want to go to a couple of more just to get a balance of opinions, and prices. whats troughing wheels?? prob a stupid question but i havnt a clue! do you think balance would be an issue on country roads for a more inexperienced cyclst on country roads, i have this vision of skiding off going around a corner if roads wet etc with them thin tyres??:eek:

As far this hybrid vs Road bike war goes I've recently defected to the road side. Well sort of...

As well as having a couple of road bikes I have a sporty high spec hybrid which I used to comute on. But it just wasn't particularly good for my short comute (3km) - despite having mud guards I still get sprayed a lot, the narrow wheels weren't very good for poor surfaces and the front chain ring is a pain in terms of getting my trowsers caught (occosionally). Other than being easier to control and signal on round about etc. it has no real advantage over a road bike. I think most people would agree a road bike is better for 50 km plus rides in the country (if only because you'll look less out of place lyrcaed up on a Saturday morning).

Now I've decided to sell my sporty hybrid and buy a hub grear city bike, and this pushed me over to the road bike side (if you only have one bike), despite having 105 derailer and generally high spec I won't get much for the sporty hybrid. Bottom line - there's not much difference between a sporty hybrid and road bike but a 1000 euro road bike will hold its value a lot better.

OP-You'll probably have 5 bikes in three years time anyway so don't worry too much;)

again poss a silly question but is a city bike? how does it differ from a road bike and would it be suitable for what i need do you think? re having 5 bikes in a few years, yeah you are probley right! hopefully though if i buy something fairly good with all your advise i might get the choice right. im planning on buying by the weekend...

Peadarmac1 wrote: »
    Hi, As someone who hasn't cycled in 20+ years and then only the odd 5 mile here and there. I got a very good hybrid about 3 months ago, carbon fork, light frame etc, basically to lose weight and get fit, the reason i got the hybrid was because of a back problem and thought that the upright position would help.

I am now cycling 20+km every other day and up to 40km on sat and sun. Since i started cycling my back has improved and I am really considering changing the bike to a road bike, what I'm trying to say is that if you think you could get serious about cycling, really consider the road bike. Is there anyone that could loan you a road bike to see how you get on?

Hi Peadarmac,
    you sound like you began out in the same boat as me, hopefully i will progress as well as you did.. yeah def im beginning to think along lines of the road bike i think, i really dont want to buy something that im going to end up changing down the road. Can you think of any advantages of the hybrid over the road bike tho? dont want to rule it completely out. only concerns i hae at this stage re the road bike is those skinny tyres, do they make it easier to fall/skid off, is the bike more difficult to manouvre? thanks for your reply:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

bigalee wrote: »
    only concerns i hae at this stage re the road bike is those skinny tyres, do they make it easier to fall/skid off, is the bike more difficult to manoeuvre?

If you're anything like me, once you're concerned about skidding and falling off, you ride more conservatively and it's not an issue. Moved from 32c to 25c tyres going from hybrid to road recently, and the main difference is comfort on rougher surfaces. Gravelly surfaces are also more difficult on thinner tyres, e.g. loose chippings on corners or a descent. As said, take a couple of bikes for a test spin before you make your mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Peadarmac1

Hi Peadarmac,
    you sound like you began out in the same boat as me, hopefully i will progress as well as you did.. yeah def im beginning to think along lines of the road bike i think, i really dont want to buy something that im going to end up changing down the road. Can you think of any advantages of the hybrid over the road bike tho? dont want to rule it completely out. only concerns i hae at this stage re the road bike is those skinny tyres, do they make it easier to fall/skid off, is the bike more difficult to manouvre? thanks for your reply:)

Hi bigalee, I don't really know if i am qualified to compare the road bike over the Hybrid as i only have a hybrid presently:confused:, but although i am happy enough with it:), I feel that the road bike is the natural progression to cycling on a more serious basis. (but I dont think i will ever enter the Tour de France as I have a good few years up on you:) ) from what i believe the benefits are

Road :more hand positions on bars (useful on longer rides) skinny tyres and lower profile faster and good against breeze etc.
    Hybrid :Wider tyres more comfort on no so forgiving surfaces and lower gearing useful for climbing also possibly better for commuting and general fitness.

I dont think you can really go wrong with either choice, the main thing to to make use of what ever you get as there seems to be no end of people selling almost new bikes on adverts.ie. impulse buys no doubt:D

P.S. If I get a road bike I will probaly keep the Hybrid anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭clonmahon

Peadarmac1 wrote: »

P.S. If I get a road bike I will probaly keep the Hybrid anyway

I started with a hybrid last year, I then bought a road bike, I still use both bikes. Now I am saving for a touring bike. I have in the mean time gradually acquired a full set of tools and built a shed to store and work on my growing bike fleet. This cycling can grow into a dangerous obsession.

Hi Guys,
    Thank you all so so much for all your hlp and advise, Just to let you know i went in yesterday and bought a Thompson r7200 road bike it was priced at 1049 they let me have it for a grand... just waiting now to collect it hopefully at the end of the week once they recieve payment from my employers. Hopefully il get many years use out of it. Thanks again to everyone for your advise, really really helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭empty21

Lovely looking bike! Where did you purchase and what is the spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Hi Guys,
    Thank you all so so much for all your hlp and advise, Just to let you know i went in yesterday and bought a Thompson r7200 road bike it was priced at 1049 they let me have it for a grand... just waiting now to collect it hopefully at the end of the week once they recieve payment from my employers. Hopefully il get many years use out of it. Thanks again to everyone for your advise, really really helpful :)

looks well tasty, well may you ride :)

Hi empty21 and stevieob, thanks.. well empty21 as regards the spec, im still a bit green when it comes to this, so would this make sense to yourself as someone more experience, aluminium frame with carbon forks, 1500g weight? that prob makes no sense but thats what i remember him saying. he showed me others a bit cheaper around the 700 mark but i said it spend the full grand on the bike because i thought it might mean id be happier with the spec in the long term, preferred the loo of this bike. He was saying its a new brand to come to ireland but tha for the price you pay in comparison to the more well known brands ie giant etc that you get a better spec, hopefully this is true! Im just really grateful to everyones help, genuinely. Thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭g0g

empty21 wrote: »
    Lovely looking bike! Where did you purchase and what is the spec?
    This seems to be spec - I'm guessing 27 speed triple? Must add it to my list in that other thread on € 1,000 bikes! Where'd you get it through bigalee?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mido7

Hi empty21 and stevieob, thanks.. well empty21 as regards the spec, im still a bit green when it comes to this, so would this make sense to yourself as someone more experience, aluminium frame with carbon forks, 1500g weight? that prob makes no sense but thats what i remember him saying. he showed me others a bit cheaper around the 700 mark but i said it spend the full grand on the bike because i thought it might mean id be happier with the spec in the long term, preferred the loo of this bike. He was saying its a new brand to come to ireland but tha for the price you pay in comparison to the more well known brands ie giant etc that you get a better spec, hopefully this is true! Im just really grateful to everyones help, genuinely. Thanks:)

Bigalee,
    How have been getting on with the Thompson? Like yourself a while back, I will be buying my first proper road bike soon and was suggested to me by the shop that a Thompson would represent quality bike at a good price??

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

mido7 wrote: »
    Bigalee,
    How have been getting on with the Thompson? Like yourself a while back, I will be buying my first proper road bike soon and was suggested to me by the shop that a Thompson would represent quality bike at a good price??

I'd like to bump this because I too am looking at stepping up from my Hybrid and getting my first road bike. I've pretty much settled on the Giant Defy but this has got me interested in knowing how the Thompson stacks up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

Hi Bigalee,
    Just wondering also how you are finding your Thompson bike.Having used up my own chance at bike to work on a hybrid I'd like my husband to use his on a roadbike :-)

The guy in the bike shop was recommending the Thompson based on quality of parts.

Any advice welcome ( if you are still around!) Thanks

Advertisement