Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Calorie sweetners?

Options
  • 21-03-2012 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

I've gotten very much into tea atm but i always have to have 2 sugars in it, im trying to look for some healthy sweeteners to add into it instead but has to be low calorie as well!! i was gonna use agave nectar and xylitol fruit sugar but both are fairly calorific!!
    being using stevia but that is loaded with maltodextrin.
    i dont want anything like sorbitol either as i easily suffer with bloating!!
    is there any options left for me?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭meijin

I've gotten very much into tea atm but i always have to have 2 sugars in it, im trying to look for some healthy sweeteners to add into it instead but has to be low calorie as well!! i was gonna use agave nectar and xylitol fruit sugar but both are fairly calorific!!
    being using stevia but that is loaded with maltodextrin.
    i dont want anything like sorbitol either as i easily suffer with bloating!!
    is there any options left for me?!
    There are no healthy sweeteners. Try to gradually reduce the sugar, till you get to zero. Or try different teas that taste good without a sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭alexsmith

meijin wrote: »
    There are no healthy sweeteners. Try to gradually reduce the sugar, till you get to zero. Or try different teas that taste good without a sugar.

untrue. there are no long term health effects of using sweeteners.

all sweeteners are low to zero calories.stevia,canderel etc are fine.

things like aspartame and ace k are fine also,youd need to be consuming 1000000x the dosage to see any effects in health

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

alexsmith wrote: »

things like aspartame and ace k are fine also,youd need to be consuming 1000000x the dosage to see any effects in health

.........yeah when you're doing your research on artificial sweeteners be careful not to go along with the stuff that is put out by the companies or paid for by the industry, impartial research seems to show that it does cause a blood sugar spike like sugar so it causes weight gain, and also sends signals to the brain that you are eating sugar but you're not and causes cravings.

Look into it for yourself, its best to cut down on the real stuff you will get used to not having it, its 0 calories but its also a chemical that was never meant for human consumption and if you're going to spike your blood sugar that causes the body to store energy you might as well manage it better with one small tea spoon of sugar or switch to using a bit of lemon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

alexsmith wrote: »

Yeah, but do they fit your macros? :p

saa wrote: »
    .........yeah when you're doing your research on artificial sweeteners be careful not to go along with the stuff that is put out by the companies or paid for by the industry, impartial research seems to show that it does cause a blood sugar spike like sugar so it causes weight gain, and also sends signals to the brain that you are eating sugar but you're not and causes cravings.
    A blood sugar spike? from what, liver glycogen?
    Look into it for yourself, its best to cut down on the real stuff you will get used to not having it, its 0 calories but its also a chemical that was never meant for human consumption and if you're going to spike your blood sugar that causes the body to store energy you might as well manage it better with one small tea spoon of sugar or switch to using a bit of lemon

It's the excess overall calories that cause the body to store energy, not blood sugar spikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

rocky wrote: »
    It's the excess overall calories that cause the body to store energy, not blood sugar spikes.

Look theres plenty contentious research on blood sugar, insulin and aspartame etc. yadda yadda you don't have to agree with it, its not as simple as excess calories=fat storage the body will store without exceeding maintenance levels of calories.

Look theres plenty contentious research on blood sugar, insulin and aspartame etc. yadda yadda you don't have to agree with it, its not as simple as excess calories=fat storage the body will store without exceeding maintenance levels of calories.

Sure, hormones play a part, as does stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I use Truvia. I don't drink tea or coffee so I only use it on Pancakes.

No side effects so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Nothing wrong with Xylitol

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭curry_person

Nothing wrong with Xylitol

i know there isnt but only reason i dont want is cause it fairly calorific and i drink alot of tea!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

Sucralose is another option, 600 times sweeter than sugar and stable at high temperatures.

Advertisement