Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China Open Draw & Schedule

Options
  • 21-03-2012 1:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

The second last event of the season the China Open begins next Monday. The wild card round was announced yesterday and it saw Irelands only interest in the tournament Fergal O'Brien handed the worst possible draw when he was paired against Jin Long.
    If Jimmy White wins his wild card match then he will set up a clash with Judd Trump in the first round proper.
    Eurosport again will provide live coverage.

Heres the link for the draw and match schedule.....

http://www.worldsnooker.com/staticFiles/d1/a2/0,,13165~172753,00.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

How likely is Match 15 to go ahead?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

How likely is Match 15 to go ahead?

Anyones guess really, i feel if he was'nt up to travelling to Galway from London then flying to China may be asking a bit too much.
    As we know though O'Sullivan is always full of surprises so i gues it's a case of watch this space!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

I'd say Marcus Campbell is rubbing his hands with joy, free pass to the 2nd round here...

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭caoty

Is Jin Long so good?
    zack01 wrote: »
    The second last event of the season the China Open begins next Monday. The wild card round was announced yesterday and it saw Irelands only interest in the tournament Fergal O'Brien handed the worst possible draw when he was paired against Jin Long.
    If Jimmy White wins his wild card match then he will set up a clash with Judd Trump in the first round proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

Yea he IS that good, way too good to be a wild card, half or more of these Chinese "wild cards" are as good or better than a lot of main tour pros so it terribly unfair on those who`ve slogged their way thru qualifiers only to have to play another extremely competent opponent just to make the 1st round proper!!
    :mad:

• Advertisement

Jimmy White wins his wild card round and now plays Trump in the first round proper whilst Neil Roberston sporting a slightly buzzare hairdo beats Jamie Cope 5-4.
    All results aside the big news is that Ronnie O'Sullivan has travelled to Beijing and will play Marcus Campbell in the first round.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Coverage starting on Eurosport

22 Martin Gould v Stephen Hendry
    7 Peter Ebdon v Lu Haotian
    5 Ben Woollaston v Chen Feilong
    6 Jamie Jones v Lu Ning

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Coverage starting on Eurosport

22 Martin Gould v Stephen Hendry
    7 Peter Ebdon v Lu Haotian
    5 Ben Woollaston v Chen Feilong
    6 Jamie Jones v Lu Ning
    Think I read somewhere yesterday that the guy Ebdon is playing is only 14 years of age.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yep he's on table 2 (on Eurosport 2), the Gould vs Hendry match is on Eurosport 1. Think I'll have both on to see how Ebdon gets on with this teen!

Crazy final frame. Hendry wins 5-4!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bookshelf

Crazy final frame. Hendry wins 5-4!
    Gould made a right "balls" of it in that last frame. Interesting to see the Jimmy and Judd game. White was a bit annoyed at not getting a 147 after 10 reds and 10 blacks

Jin Long proved to be as expected a tough match for O'Brien by winning 5-4. O'Brien was 4-3 down levelled at 4-4 made a 53 only for Long to clear up with a 65 to win 5-4.
    Pick of the games later has to be White v Trump.
    White played well in his wild card match and I'm hoping he plays well today.

On another note: has anyone seen Robertson's hair !!!!

And O'Brien loses 5-4. Was 53-0 up in the last frame and Long came back to clear up with a break of 65. Does anyone know are there any really good young Irish snooker players coming through at all, some that we may see playing at major events in the future?

Jin Long proved to be as expected a tough match for O'Brien by winning 5-4. O'Brien was 4-3 down levelled at 4-4 made a 53 only for Long to clear up with a 65 to win 5-4.

you got there just before me! I don't know what Robertson is doing with his hair, he seems like a really genuine nice guy. I met him when he played in Galway

God yes, can't wait for that match. Really hope White puts on a good show!

As for Robertson, I hope for his sake its the humidity :o

bookshelf wrote: »
    And O'Brien loses 5-4.Does anyone know are there any really good young Irish snooker players coming through at all, some that we may see playing at major events in the future?

Honestly I don't think we will see any new Irish talent apart from the players currently on the tour, expect perhaps for John Sutton who in May will attempt to join the main tour by way of the Q School.
    The reason I don't think we will see any other players is that only last week World Snooker decided to remove the tour card given to the number one ranked amateur at the end of each season in Ireland.
    England, Scotland and Wales have also lost their place too, these places have been given to China, Thailand and India and to be honest I think these countries are more deserving.
    Ireland, England etc have had their chance, players have been given tour cards but have failed to deliver the goods on the main tour. Even the current Irish number one Rodney Goggins, who has been the outstanding player in Ireland this season and was once before on the main tour had already decided before World Snookers decision that he would not go on the tour again.
    The only other automatic way of gaining a tour card is by way of winning the world amateur or European championships and of course Q School.

There are some great players in Ireland such as Josh Boileau, Karl Fitzpatrick, Johnny Williams to name a few but few I believe have the pedigree to make an impression on the main tour.
    Sutton however has the credentials and by winning his place in this years Q School by way of his runner up spot in the Snookerbacker Classic along the way beating ex pro and ranking event winner David Gray has the ability and temperment to last and hopefully make an impression in the paid ranks.

Add to that any players who qualify this way will win a two year exemption on the main tour.

I do hope I'm wrong but the standard is so high now I fear the days of a repeat Cruicble success such as Ken Doherty's in '97 is a long way away.

Trump through 5-3, although Jimmy put up a good fight. 1 frame could have gone either way and the other ones were some small mistakes from Jimmy.

Ding vs Wollaston is on now. 4-1 Wollaston, the crowd is getting behind Ding. Ding playing pretty terrible though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Honestly I don't think we will see any new Irish talent apart from the players currently on the tour, expect perhaps for John Sutton who in May will attempt to join the main tour by way of the Q School.
    The reason I don't think we will see any other players is that only last week World Snooker decided to remove the tour card given to the number one ranked amateur at the end of each season in Ireland.
    England, Scotland and Wales have also lost their place too, these places have been given to China, Thailand and India and to be honest I think these countries are more deserving.
    Ireland, England etc have had their chance, players have been given tour cards but have failed to deliver the goods on the main tour. Even the current Irish number one Rodney Goggins, who has been the outstanding player in Ireland this season and was once before on the main tour had already decided before World Snookers decision that he would not go on the tour again.
    The only other automatic way of gaining a tour card is by way of winning the world amateur or European championships and of course Q School.

There are some great players in Ireland such as Josh Boileau, Karl Fitzpatrick, Johnny Williams to name a few but few I believe have the pedigree to make an impression on the main tour.
    Sutton however has the credentials and by winning his place in this years Q School by way of his runner up spot in the Snookerbacker Classic along the way beating ex pro and ranking event winner David Gray has the ability and temperment to last and hopefully make an impression in the paid ranks.

Add to that any players who qualify this way will win a two year exemption on the main tour.

I do hope I'm wrong but the standard is so high now I fear the days of a repeat Cruicble success such as Ken Doherty's in '97 is a long way away.
    the standard is so high and the margins are so fine nowadays. We've a lot of brilliant irish players. Davy Morris used to destroy Mark Allen, they came thru at the same time at amateur level, Davy is doing ok whereas Mark Allen has blossomed. So many variables go into it, and skill/break building is just 1 small element. If it purely came down to skill we have plenty of players who could compete on the pro tour - Davy, Vinny Muldoon, Martin McCrudden, TJ Dowling, etc it's a long list of ex-national champions who are all proven at european and world amateur level, against the top european and chinese players.

At the end of the day, people need a slight bit of luck to go from good amateur to good pro. Martin Gould is a great example, he struggled for many years before getting 1 good run, it built his confidence and he's recorded some great results. Getting on the tour is a battle and half, but once there it's a combination of skill, practise and luck as to what you can do career wise.

People tend to forget Judd Trump, despite his age, has been a pro for many years. He lost his tour card initially, and has taken many years to fulfill his potential. Luca Brecel has been long touted as a future world champion but , like Trump, is struggling to make the initial breakthrough. As much as people rightly feel chinese snooker will be the future, that has been said for years now and only really Ding, Fu and Liang Wenbo have had any sort of impact at the top level.

It's hard to predict, but it may be a whole generation away before we see the next Irish world champion. I would not be surprised if in 30 years time , Ken remains our only World Champion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

In fact, it probably is quite telling that 15 years after his world title, Ken remains our best, most realistic hope for another World Title.

What about Mark Allen? He has both an Irish and British Passport :pac:

• Advertisement

Epic comeback from Ding. 5-4. Crowd practically going wild today! :D

the standard is so high and the margins are so fine nowadays. We've a lot of brilliant irish players. Davy Morris used to destroy Mark Allen, they came thru at the same time at amateur level, Davy is doing ok whereas Mark Allen has blossomed. So many variables go into it, and skill/break building is just 1 small element. If it purely came down to skill we have plenty of players who could compete on the pro tour - Davy, Vinny Muldoon, Martin McCrudden, TJ Dowling, etc it's a long list of ex-national champions who are all proven at european and world amateur level, against the top european and chinese players.

At the end of the day, people need a slight bit of luck to go from good amateur to good pro. Martin Gould is a great example, he struggled for many years before getting 1 good run, it built his confidence and he's recorded some great results. Getting on the tour is a battle and half, but once there it's a combination of skill, practise and luck as to what you can do career wise.

People tend to forget Judd Trump, despite his age, has been a pro for many years. He lost his tour card initially, and has taken many years to fulfill his potential. Luca Brecel has been long touted as a future world champion but , like Trump, is struggling to make the initial breakthrough. As much as people rightly feel chinese snooker will be the future, that has been said for years now and only really Ding, Fu and Liang Wenbo have had any sort of impact at the top level.

It's hard to predict, but it may be a whole generation away before we see the next Irish world champion. I would not be surprised if in 30 years time , Ken remains our only World Champion.

I agree 100% with you even Neil Robertson fell off the tour twice and now look at him, luck does play a big part but finance too has a big say. David Hogan and I'll be honest to say that I've only seen him play once but that was enough to convince me that he was a super player but he couldn't afford to play in every event when he was pro and has since returned to the amateur circuit.
    It's a tough school out there and the same can be said about most sports but with the money available £7million stg on next seasons tour the rewards are great.
    As you said though it could well be another generation or longer before we can cheer another player from the republic to Cruicble glory.

What about Mark Allen? He has both an Irish and British Passport :pac:

You'll find he's more British than he lets people believe.

Epic comeback from Ding. 5-4. Crowd practically going wild today! :D

That's a long flight back for Wolleston and plenty of time for him to think about the red he had for a 5-0 win!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Did Ronnie show up?

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    Did Ronnie show up?

He sure did, plays Marcus Campbell in the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

campbell will be kicking himself tonight,had loads of chances to finish ronnie off but couldnt take them.o sullivan looks totally disinterested,i'll be backing williams to beat him tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

no disrespect to john sutton or any of the other names mentioned but its going to be a VERY long time before we see a new irish player in the televised stages of a major pro tournament.
    our best players of the last decade ie.rodney goggins,davy morris,brendan o donoghue,david hogan and vinnie muldoon plus a few more have tried and failed to make it and i dont see anyone from the current crop of youngsters that will ever amount to anything outside of ireland.

campbell will be kicking himself tonight,had loads of chances to finish ronnie off but couldnt take them.o sullivan looks totally disinterested,i'll be backing williams to beat him tomorrow

He'll be sick!! You get chances like that against Ronnie or for that fact any of the top boys and you don't take them they will come back and haunt you.
    Ronnie did seem a bit uninterested alright but how many times has he shown up like that and won? Answer, quite a lot.

I would'nt run out and back Williams just yet though, he just can't beat Ronnie in a ranking event and has'nt done so in quite a long time.

Latest: Ronnie 2-0 up on Williams

• Advertisement

O'Sullivan wins 5-1 and don't be surprised if he goes on to win the tournament now, he plays Maguire or Walden next.
    Williams must hate running into O'Sullivan it's now 10 years since he beat him.

Latest results on the other morning matches:

Trump 4 Bingham 3
    Lee 3 Dott 2
    Maguire 3 walden 2

Advertisement