Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flannery retiring

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I'll give him credit for making the most of his ability but he was never a "great player"

On a personal level he can go and ****.

He was a nailed on Lions starter bar injury but don't let that get in the way of your ignorance

He's one of the most approachable players in Limerick too. All round nice guy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

I'll give him credit for making the most of his ability but he was never a "great player"

That's actually disgustingly wide of the mark. In his pomp he was a truly great, worldclass hooker who was unparalleled in the lineout.

On a lighter note, I think that everything that can be has been said about his ability and dedication to his craft. Forced retirement is always terrible to see and you'd much prefer a player to be able to make the decision to call it quits themselves. I wish him all the best with whatever he decides to do with himself and hope that he is at peace with the hand he was dealt.

A true Munchins, Shannon, Munster and Ireland great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

A true Munchins, Shannon, Munster and Ireland great.

Ah here now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Ah here now..

In what sense was he not an Ireland great?

He was one of the most consistent players in our grandslam team

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Great player....and then there's the hair ! Sad to see him go. As tough as teak and will always be remembered by me for his compliment to England's Steve Thompson in Croke Pk one time. It is up on You Tube. Check it out.

Happy Trails Fla'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    In what sense was he not an Ireland great?

He was one of the most consistent players in our grandslam team

Don't get me wrong-he was a very good player. But I don't think he can be considered a "great".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I remember him playing for Shannon and Munster the very next day.
    Sad to see him go, he was integral tothe the Irish lineout dominance back a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Writing has been on the wall for a long, long time. Certainly one of Ireland's better players over the last number of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Don't get me wrong-he was a very good player. But I don't think he can be considered a "great".

Different context I think. He was a great player but when the books are written he'll be behind Wood etc in terms of "best ever" for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

sad to see in my opinion our best hooker since wood. its a testament to his ability that he was able to keep rory best out of the team. heres to a fantastic if unfortunately short and injury plagued career

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

Really sorry to see him go. Before injury he was a good player for Ireland. Not world class by any stretch but utterly effecient and an excellent thrower.

Probably the only hooker in world rugby who was late on more than one occassion for training because he was styling his hair :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

nerd69 wrote: »
    sad to see in my opinion our best hooker since wood. its a testament to his ability that he was able to keep rory best out of the team. heres to a fantastic if unfortunately short and injury plagued career
    Best was the better scrummager and possibly shaded it in the loose but Flannery had the best put in by a country mile. To be fair, they both pushed each other by their presence in the squad and that competition profited Ireland in the long run.

Flannery had quite a late start to his career by international standards, getting his first cap at 27. You'd wonder are there other players out there that have also been overlooked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Are you from Dublin ...? Oh i see you are ....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

buck65 wrote: »

That's not fair. I don't think Flannery will ever go down as an Irish great. He got his first cap at 27 and was only first choice for a very short time, while the team was managed by Declan Kidney, before injury stunted his career. He'll be remembered as an important part of the 2009 team but I don't know about ireland great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

That renders his opinion invalid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Dumbest post of the year.

A great servant to Ireland and an integral part of the GS team.
    It was actually Woods that helped him become the player he is. Helped him with his throws and use to talk after each game. But it was complete dedication that eventually got him there.
    As a connacht man I would love to see him walk out onto the sportsground next week. He will def be there, he loves Galway and a good piss up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion so if you want to troll please go somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

http://media.newstalk.ie/podcast/61153/popup

Interview with Flannery there for the first 10 mins.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Saw in todays independent Flannery doesn't want to be one of those ex players that hang around the squad.

Also saw that he started a masters in sports performance in UL in January. You have to wonder if the decision was made then for him to retire and its only being announced now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Saw in todays independent Flannery doesn't want to be one of those ex players that hang around the squad.

Also saw that he started a masters in sports performance in UL in January. You have to wonder if the decision was made then for him to retire and its only being announced now.

In the interview in Neil3030's post, he says more or less he knew that he wasn't able to return to full fitness around December.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

yimrsg wrote: »
    In the interview in Neil3030's post, he says more or less he knew that he wasn't able to return to full fitness around December.
    thanks I haven't had time to listen to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

When Flannery went to see the expert in Germany I think he was told there wasn't much hope. I'd imagine they just had to sort out insurance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Neil3030 wrote: »
    http://media.newstalk.ie/podcast/61153/popup

Interview with Flannery there for the first 10 mins.

Sounded very deflated which is understandable. Best of Luck to him with whatever he decides to do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

rrpc wrote: »
    Best was the better scrummager and possibly shaded it in the loose but Flannery had the best put in by a country mile. To be fair, they both pushed each other by their presence in the squad and that competition profited Ireland in the long run.

Flannery had quite a late start to his career by international standards, getting his first cap at 27. You'd wonder are there other players out there that have also been overlooked?

well donnacah ryan was 28 this may be on munster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

nerd69 wrote: »
    well donnacah ryan was 28 this may be on munster
    Donnacha ryan got his 1st int cap when he was 25. got first start when 28

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

He seems to give Quinny a bit of a slagging for that sort of stuff - hanging around the players gym etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Blut2

Probably the only hooker in world rugby who was late on more than one occassion for training because he was styling his hair :D

I dunno, don't think I'd put similar past Szarzewski!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

My prediction is that he'll coach and do a very good job.

By all accounts he made an edge for himself as a player with deeply thought out preparation and constant dedication to improving what he perceived as weaknesses in his game.

That, to me, has future coach written all over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Always terrible to see a player retire due to injury, and he really missed out on a lot because of an injury plagued career.

Definitely our best hooker since Keith Wood, he had a good career and I'm sure there's a career in rugby for him beyond his playing days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

If he had returned Ireland would have had serious depth at Hooker with him, Best and Strauss. I don't think that it's even remotely obvious what order those three would be in.

Advertisement