Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trying to lose the last stone???

Options
  • 20-03-2012 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

hi everyone, i was just wondering if anybody would have any advise for me?
    i started working out in the gym 3 maybe 4 times a week since december , missed a week or so and had a few mad weekends :eek:

but my starting weight was 12st 7lbs and im currently 11st 5lbs and have been for the last 5 weeks !its really frustrating ,its making me not want to work out anymore if im always going to be 11st 5 lbs!

basically when im in the gym i do 1hr on the crosstrainer level 8 and keep the heart rate to 165-170 and burn around 650 calories.
    i like the crosstrainer and cannot get into running no matter what i do.
    does anyone have any advise to kick start my weightloss again or should i stick with the cross trainer?

my diet is good enough too. usually il have;
    2 weetabix in the morning
    apple/yougart midday
    salad for lunch or a panini with ham ,cheese, onion around 3
    after work around 8, i could have a microwave meal or whatever dinner is left!

i know i need to work on the late night meals maybe make them a bit more healthier

any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Squatz

If your weight loss is stalling, then you are eating as much as you burn at the moment, so if you want to lose more you have the option of reducing your calories further or upping your cardio a bit more, whichever option you'd prefer to do is up to yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Squatz

Also I'd highly recommend starting a weight program, it will recomp your body better than any cross trainer..

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

You could hit the weights...that should kick start you if your just cross training!...just an idea!

Also if your down to the last of what you need to lose then a diet review could be in order...weetabix and paninis are nice but changing them for eggs and green veg could drop you the lbs you need!!

you could maybe eat more regularly??, eating at 3 and then 8 is a big big gap imo

i'd cut the microwave meals and get cooking yourself!!

just a few bits there to think about!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

thanks for the advise guys,
    i am looking to tone up so i know i need to move away from the crosstrainer at some stage but i could easily go for an 1 1/2 and burn 1,000 cals on it so i might up my game. i know i should do weights but i dont want to move from the 1hr cardio. at least when i do that i feel as if i had a workout. so would you suggest doing an hour cardio and then weights ? or divide my time in the gym? and i am trying to lose weight on my legs so i dont know if the cardio is help or hindering my aim!but they have def slimmed down since i started
    im with ye on the food side of things. 3-8 is a big gap but i dont have time to get a quick snack in that time. i do like healthy foods too so i think its laziness with the microwave meals. i dont calorie count at the moment but i think i must be eating around average 2000 cals a day as im maintaining the previous weight loss, and i could definatly drop that to 1500 a day so that could help too.

this is a vicious cycle for me ha!but this is the longest iv committed to something so i want to continue, i know its a lifestyle change too.i just need to find what works for me!

thanks for the advise again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

as mentioned already, weightloss is best done in the kitchen. You can go on the cross trainer all you want but if your diet isnt up to scratch, then you may as well forget it. You cant out train a bad diet.

Also, highly advise to get improving the workouts. Hire a GOOD personal trainer who will be willing to give you a 6 week program. He/she will be worth their weight in gold. I cant give you one personally but im sure if you ask here you will get a good few reccomendations.

Diet, Try eating protein for breakfast, eggs is a good option, not every day, maybe 3 out of 4. Change the wheetabix to oats, Wheetabix is processed within an inch of their lives.

Lunch, try introduce a salad or something that doesnt involved bread. If you are hell bent on sticking with bread products, try eating 4 days without 3 days with. Make sure you get a good source of protein in there too, eggs, chicken, steak, fish. anything.

Dinner, READY MEALS OUT! end of. They are an aboniation, hardly qualify as food. Eat good sources of protein, loads and loads of veg and limit the starchy carbs. Also, keep an eye on the cals. Its a pain counting but it is essential if you want to drop the fat.

hope this helps

• Advertisement

it does help thank you! bread is my major weakness,i could happily have a sandwich over dinner . if i could find an alternative to bread that would keep me full then il make the change . im more focused on the gym ,but nothing will happen without the change in diet. thats obviously why im at a standstill. i have been thinking about the weights so il try a few tomorrow.
    i think i would benefit from a personal trainer, just even for a kick start because i seem to be going nowhere on my own!
    thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LauraLoo

I would say to definitely sort out your dinners- switch to homemade; lean protein an veggies. Maybe a chicken stir fry alternated with fish and steamed veg- both take very little time to cook (if in a rush you can pop fish in microwave for 2/3 mins and it's done). Prepare your veg in advance and have ready in fridge for when you get n. or you can cook in bulk and freeze in separate trays and take one out each morning before work. Alternatively you could have a healthy snack at about 5pm (tub of raw veggies & hummus or some sunflower seeds and small boiled egg) and another small healthy snack or bowl of homemade soup when you go home.

Also, resistance training will help you burn more calories in the long run as you will build muscle- muscle burns calories just by existing so you are giving your metabolism a big oomph if you start building a little (and I don't mean bulking up). be aware that muscle weighs more than fat so it might take a while before you notice the difference on the scales- best to go by measurements rather than weight.

thanks , its the actual doing it that's killing me.just to prepare stuff and i know it would only take five mins !so i need to start that. now that the weather is picking up too im more inclined to go for cold food n salads so hopefully that will help

iv completely lost my spark for the gym iv only been twice in the last 2 weeks. i think its hard to get back into it,but when im there i actually enjoy it and feel great afterwards. i was thinking of maybe getting some energy tablets, just the ones you can get in the chemist .even for just a pick me up. has anyone tried these? i dont want to lose my motivation but its going this way!

Advertisement