Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Jim Stynes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

May he rest in peace. He was a true gentleman by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Oh golly - I know less than nothing about Aussie football, but I remember seeing a documentary about this guy and his fight with cancer and it was really moving.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Dreadful news. Deepest sympathies to his family and friends.
    RIP Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭smodgley

RIP to a great man on an off the field of play

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

He fought a brave fight. R.I.P. Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I watch "Every Heart Beats True" a few times a year to bring myself back to reality. RIP Jim, you are one of the greatest people this country has ever produced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 distantmemory

Anyone have a link to this documentary?, I saw it before and it would realy put things in perspective. Absolute Legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just woke up to the news, very very sad. Fantastic ambassador for Ireland and a superb player/club man.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

too young to remember this man but seen lost of clips and man who deserved an all Ireland medal

anyone got a link to the doc?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

Anyone have a link to this documentary?, I saw it before and it would realy put things in perspective. Absolute Legend!

http://www.movieberry.com/every_heart_beats_true_the_jim_stynes_story/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Fergus_Nash

That was the most inspiring documentary I have ever seen.

Guy was an absolute legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    I watch "Every Heart Beats True" a few times a year to bring myself back to reality. RIP Jim, you are one of the greatest people this country has ever produced.

I agree 100%. A desperately sad day for his family, his friends and for all of us Irish living in Oz who seen him as an inspiration over many years. One of the great Irishmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

RIP to a true hero and legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Very sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭captivo

Absolute legend - from watching the documentary you could see that he was very dignified in dealing with his illness. RIP

Some articles up on the afl.com.au site:

Jim Stynes Tribute
    Jim Stynes - State Funeral

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

My condolences to his young family in Melbourne, and his family back here in Ireland. He went to Oz but a boy but quickly became a man, a leader, and a legend. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The man was a legend.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

An inspirational person, he'll be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

madds wrote: »
    My condolences to his young family in Melbourne, and his family back here in Ireland. He went to Oz but a boy but quickly became a man, a leader, and a legend. RIP.

Madds,

His family sold up here and moved out to Oz a while back. Brian makes the odd trip home.

TheGEN.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

RIP Jim.

Its hard for those who are not into AFL or do not know the impact this man has left on Australia. His documentary from 2 years ago brought a spotlight on him for his battle with cancer, but he was so courageous in much more than his battle to the end.

He may have not spent much time on this earth, but his legacy will live on forever. He has left a huge impression on so many people, whther it was through sport or through his battle with cancer, or his Reach program he established. He not only was a legend of AFL and GAA, he was a legend in all walks of life and off the sporting field.

Sadly not everyone paid their respects.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/jason-akermanis-attacks-late-jim-stynes-saying-he-was-a-nasty-man-treated-like-a-demigod/story-fn7x8me2-1226307235911
    He will be honoured at a state funeral in Melbourne on Tuesday, before his ashes are returned to Ireland.

But Akermanis is unlikely to be among mourners after telling breakfast hosts Mark Darin and Caroline Hutchinson that Stynes "was a nasty man in his day. He had a nice turn of phrase and he made sure you knew how he felt".

"What amazes me is yes, he was a legend of the game and did a great job and wonderful things with kids, but you know there are a bunch of people who have done just as much who don't get any recognition. I just think it's a bit out of kilter.

"He got a state funeral - do all football players get a state funeral? There's something about it all that just made me feel uncomfortable. Jim's good but is he that good?''

While Aker might raise a point about of sorts regarding the state funeral being out of the ordinary and unusual for a footballer, he should keep his mouth shut.

EDIT: And he's rightfully been sacked from his media role as a result. Plenty of players (Brad Green, Stevie Johnson, Cameron Ling and Matthew Richardson amongst others) are speaking out about him on Twitter which is great to see.

I like Aker as a sort of Gazza type figure when he played but now he's just an arsehole.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Aker is a tool of the highest order. He thinks he is of huge importance, and his self inflated ego is the only thing keeping him going. Agree with your last point, thought he was a great character as a player, but his last days with the bulldogs and his mouthing since have made me dislike him hugely. Jeez, anyone with any sort of cop on knows that if you disagree with a nation mourning a sporting star, you're best shutting up and leaving it lie in the aftermath of their death, not going slaggin them and making yourself a pariah.

Superb Jim Stynes tribute from Garry Lyon on The Footy Show tonight, extremely fitting - http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/sport/afl/news/blog/garry-lyons-jim-stynes-eulogy/20120322-fxk1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Superb Jim Stynes tribute from Garry Lyon on The Footy Show tonight, extremely fitting - http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/sport/afl/news/blog/garry-lyons-jim-stynes-eulogy/20120322-fxk1.html

True, Xavi. Hard to listen to it without the tears welling up in your eyes. A fitting eulogy for the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Xavi6 wrote: »

That is a wonderful tribute. Lump in the throat stuff.

Garry Lyons was great in the Every Heart... documentary too. A great friend to a great man, and a touching and heartfelt tribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I went down to Fed Square yesterday, it was amazing to see the place so thronged with people but so quiet that you could hear a pin drop, made hairs stand on back of my neck. A lovely send off...

• Advertisement

The tribute from Croker last Saturday. Hardly a dry eye in the house, especially after the scenes with Sam and the kids.

Advertisement