Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Shows that have Jumped the Shark

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

What shows do you think have jumped the shark?

First thing that comes to mind is The Walking Dead. It actually jumped the shark around the 4th or 5th episode when the big bad Latino gang were in fact lovable young men who were taking care of the elderly.

Friends jumped the shark with the Ross & Rachel thing and too many celebs on the show.

Only Fools & Horses jumped after Grandad died. To be more specific it was probably when Del Boys son was on the screen dressed like a little Del Boy. But it was never the same after Grandad died.

Lost became so boring that I stopped watching so I don't really know when it jumped. Probably when the fat guy on a desert island kept getting fatter.

Prison Break jumped after they left the prison.

Dallas jumped after Bobby was in the shower and not dead.

Saved by the Bell jumped after they went to college.

Yeah deffo Only Fools when they introduced the two girlfriends Raquel and whatshername.That brat of a kid was the real nail in the coffin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Vincent Browne when he discovered the Late Late Show might have booking issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

D-Generate wrote: »
    The Simpsons jumped the shark in the Season 8 episode, "Homer's Enemy", the first Frank Grimes episode. Now all in all it is not a bad episode but it marked a change in the personality of Homer from a lovable doofus who was ultimately good-hearted to a new Homer who was a jerk and did stupid acts at the massively negative expense of others.

Hard to believe it was only good up until Season 8...
    kitakyushu wrote: »
    D-Generate is entirely correct to say Homer's Enemy is the point where the show lost it. If one looks one can trace the shows decline right back to this episode.

Ironically it's a fondly remembered episode by some. However it shouldn't be, primarily because set in motion this trend of characters (primarily Homer of course) living in this careless universe where no one has motivation or responsibility for anything they do and where there is no is consequences (or even potential consequences) for any action.

For instance, Homer used to have to go to a job and concern himself about the welfare of his family. Nowadays he can have a different job every week (or not even work - he always has a full wallet!) and act like he's not even part of a family. He was always oblivious to the worlds problems but nowadays he's even obvious to his own. His life is meaningless and as a result not as interesting or amusing anymore.

'Homer's Enemy' was where that all began imho.

I know I'm replying to two-year-old posts here, but...

I think "The Principal and the Pauper" has a better case than "Homer's Enemy" for being the point where the Simpsons lost it, IMHO.

Homer really wasn't that much of a jerk in "Homer's Enemy". All he wanted to do was make friends with Grimes, and how was he to know that Grimes would go mad and electrocute himself?

He was far more of a jerk in season 6's "Lisa on Ice" and even as far back as season 2's "Dead Putting Society".

And only in season 10 did he become a full-time cruel, selfish, unloveable bástárd.

"The Principal and the Pauper", however, was the first episode with a plot that was too OTT.

darkdubh wrote: »
    Turns out theres a name for this.Cousin Oliver syndrome,the addition of new young character in a usually futile attempt to revive a flagging TV show.

http://crustula.com/2012/10/08/the-worst-examples-of-cousin-oliver-syndrome-in-tv-sitcom-history/

Human Target went fully retarded when they introduced a character played by Tony Hale and then had the characters all act as if he'd been there all along. I assumed when I watched the episode that I'd missed a few episodes

I was very confused when reading this thread and saw "Walking Dead jumped the shark with the latinos". Damn Zombie thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

xalot wrote: »
    Nip Tuck once they introduced the carver.

Was a very jump sharky ploy but I'd wouldn't see The Carver as a turn that showed Nip Tuck was passed with. My favourite series of NT by far and tied in nicely with all the characters.

Advertisement