Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Continuum [Showcase - CA] *Spoilers!*

• 24-11-2011 3:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

SHAW MEDIA GOES OUT OF TIME

* New Canadian Original Drama to Air on Showcase in Spring 2012

Boasting a robust collection of dynamic hit original programs including Lost Girl, Rookie Blue and Bomb Girls, Shaw Media is proud to present another homegrown series, Out of Time – a one-hour, futuristic, procedural police drama. Out of Time focuses on Kyra Cameron, a regular cop from the future who finds herself trapped in present day Vancouver. Produced by Reunion Pictures Inc., the 10-episode series is set to air on Showcase in spring 2012.

Kyra is alone, in a strange land, in pursuit of nine of the most ruthless criminals from the year 2077 after they managed to escape execution through a rift in time. Armed with advanced technology, her most powerful weapon – a multi-tasking wearable second skin that doubles as a communication device – is malfunctioning. As Kyra calls for backup on her suit’s command frequency, Alex Sadler – a current-day tech genius – hears her call. Kyra wants to get home but first she must use the resources available to track and capture these terrorists before they alter history, changing the course of the future forever.

“Set in a contemporary world visualized through the eyes of a character from the future, Out of Time will have the depth, imagination and cinematic quality that viewers have come to expect from Shaw Media’s original series,” said Barbara Williams, Senior Vice President, Content, Shaw Media. “Commissioning Out of Time is another demonstration of our commitment to producing content that positions us as a leader in delivering top-notch original dramatic entertainment.”

Out Of Time is produced by Reunion Pictures Inc. in association with Shaw Media. The series was developed by Executive Producer and Creator Simon Barry, along with Jeff King, Tom Rowe and Patrick Williams who are also Executive Producers on the project. GK-TV is handling the international sale of the series.

Production on Out of Time is set to begin in Vancouver in January 2012. Casting details to be announced.
    Source: Showcase

Taken from: SpoilerTV http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/11/out-of-time-showcase-picks-up-time.html#ixzz1edNEOxMD

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

New Sci-Fi show starting in May (formerly known as Out Of Time), 10 episode order :)

RACHEL NICHOLS AND VICTOR WEBSTER STAR IN CONTINUUM, SHAW MEDIA’S NEW ORIGINAL DRAMA SERIES

Reunion Pictures today announced that production is underway on Continuum, an original one hour drama-action series about a policewoman from 2077 who travels back in time and teams with a present day cop to track down escaped convicts from her future. Continuum is slated to premiere in Canada on Shaw Media’s specialty channel, Showcase in spring 2012.

When a group of fanatical terrorists escapes their planned execution in the year 2077, they vault back in time to the year 2012, sweeping dedicated CPS Protector, Kiera Cameron (Rachel Nichols), along with them. Stuck in the past and unable to get back to her husband and son, Kiera concentrates on bringing down the terrorists before they can wreak havoc in our present. Kiera receives unexpected assistance from a teen tech genius Alec Sadler (Erik Knudson). Impersonating a member of local law enforcement, Kiera also forms an uneasy alliance with her detective partner Carlos Fonnegra (Victor Webster).

“We’ve been excited about this show from the day Simon Barry told us the story,” says Reunion Pictures Tom Rowe. “It’s attracted a lot of terrific talent on both sides of the camera. Shaw Media shares our belief that smart writing, a great cast and a highly creative production team will bring us all success.”

Starring Rachel Nichols (Criminal Minds, Alias) Victor Webster (Castle, Melrose Place) Erik Knudson (Jericho, Scream 4) the cast also includes Stephen Lobo (Smallville, Little Mosque On The Prairie), Roger Cross (24,The Gates, Fringe), Lexa Doig (V, Stargate SG-I), Omari Newton (Blue Mountain State, Sophie), Luvia Petersen (The L Word), and Terry Chen (Combat Hospital).

Continuum is created by Executive Producer Simon Barry (The Art of War) while Jeff King (White Collar, The Black Donnellys) is Executive Producer/Show Runner. Reunion Pictures partner Tom Rowe is Executive Producer. Directors for the series include Emmy Award winner and DGA nominee Jon Cassar (24, The Kennedys, Terra Nova) and Patrick Williams (Shattered) who also serves as Executive Producer. The creative team includes the Emmy nominated Director of Photography Joel Ransom ( Band of Brothers, Camelot, The X Files) and Production Designer Chris August (Battle In Seattle, War).

Filmed on location in Vancouver, BC, Continuum is developed and produced by Reunion Pictures.

* There are Futuristic scenes in the pilot (2077)
    * Kyra has many bio-upgrades such as Cellular Memory Review which allows her to download and playback her memories
    * The pilot is very action packed
    * Mike Dopud (Stargate, Smallville) is also starring
    * Kyra stumbles upon a police investigation related to the 2077 terrorists and impersonates an officer and helps Carlos (Victor Webster) track them down
    * Kyra wants to stop a future revolution from happening
    * The terrorists being executed were responsible for a revolution
    * The terrorists from the future belive they are fighting for freedom and aiming to destroy the oppressive system
    * The terrorists from the future are killing the ancestors of important people from the future to prevent their birth
    * Kyra was adopted birth parents unknown, her family cannot be killed to prevent her birth
    * Divisions in the terrorists
    * Pilot involves a bank robbery
    * Kyra confides in Alex a teenage tech genius, who has a significant future that she knows about and is unwilling to share, she is the only person in the present she fully confides in
    * Alex lives with his mother and stepfather Roland and there are dark hints about Alex's biological father

http://www.theprovince.com/news/from+future+walks+Vancouver+streets+Continuum/6316043/story.html#ixzz1pS477jJ4

6316066.bin?size=620x400s

Loads of set pics, BTS etc: http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Rachel+Nichols/Stars+Set+Continuum+Vancouver/yKicyERQU8j

Jonathan Walker has joined the cast of Continuum. Katie Findlay also guest starred.

1.01 A Stitch in Time
    1.02 Fast Times
    1.03 Wasting Time
    1.05 A Test of Time
    1.06 Time's Up
    1.07 The Politics of Time
    1.08 Playtime
    1.09 Family Time

http://www.vancouversun.com/Video+Epic+crash+stunt/6254489/story.html#ooid=oxcXlvMzoljyT3cE4Pm_BLkd0JdBl4Qk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Threads merged.

Sounds really cool actually.... especially if Rachel Nichols is wearing that catwoman costume for the whole show. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

if this is as good as the words that describe it, i think ill like it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,286 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The actual description or the line "Rachel Nichols is wearing that catwoman costume for the whole show"?

Yeah looks like it'll be cool. Just what I need. Another show to watch. :)

• Advertisement

Casting news, BSG and Dollhouse star cast: http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/03/continuum-dollhouse-star-cast.html

continuuumcast.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Marking my spot :)

man that CGI looks bad, I'm IN:D

• Advertisement

hope shes wearing that suit a lot :D

i assume the African American is the bad guy though :rolleyes:

First proper trailer, dosen't look too bad! :)

First proper trailer, dosen't look too bad! :)

looks good, though you'd think it would have been a bit longer,

Official website: http://continuumtheseries.com/

I think this really looks great. :)

I hope Tony Amendola is around for
    more than the first episode, which is the only one he is credited with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I don't know why but the promo pics make me think of The Girl From Tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

That trailer does not fill me with confidence. I predict the girl and police officer will team up and boom - police procedural with a twist.

I thought that was obvious from the trailer? (one of the clips above anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,286 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

iguana wrote: »
    I don't know why but the promo pics make me think of The Girl From Tomorrow.
    Wow! That brings back the memories. Though didn't see any pics of them wearing headbands to move stuff. :)
    I'm remembering correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

God i'd forgotten that show too!

I saw the Girl from Tomorrow again a few years ago. It has NOT aged well. :)

Well i'd prefer a proceadural with a sci-fi twist as opposed to what Awake tried.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wow! That brings back the memories. Though didn't see any pics of them wearing headbands to move stuff. :)
    I'm remembering correctly?

Think they were called transponders. But they also had special balls, though they might only have been in the second series. Just something about the promo pics made the theme music start playing in my head. I think they used them to track Silverthorn in the future.

I'm quite looking forward to watching this. It looks pretty good and some reviews suggest it's a bit morally ambiguous as Kiera starts to experience the freedoms in 2012 that the terrorists she's tracking are trying to preserve. It's also been my experience that Canadian channels are a bit more lenient ratings wise so I'm hoping this show stands a better chance of renewal than others of a similar genre.

Episode 1 exceeded my expectations by a mile. Really slick, action packed and entertaining. Yeah, at its core it's probably a police procedural with a twist, but when it's this good, I don't mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I do love time travel stuff, add in a hot women, some nifty future tech as well as a boat load of paradoxes and im sold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

iguana wrote: »
    Think they were called transponders.

Transducers, and I really, really wanted one.

Hadn't heard of Continuum until now, so must check it out. Looks like it could be good, and the positive posts about episode 1 are always encouraging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭soiaf

I love time travel related shows and movies too, so I'll admit to bias - but just watched the pilot episode and it was very enjoyable.
    It had a really good pace for a show and laid the groundwork for plenty of backstory and plot development.
    Definitely on my to-watch list :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Just watched the pilot there. Quite liked it actually. Some really promising stuff. I'll be watching it no doubt.

Thought it was a bit meh overall. I found 3 big flaws with it. The first was that it needs a bigger music budget. They obviously have no rights to anything original and their composer is terrible. Music plays an important role in mood setting but the mood set by this screamed cheap and lazy. It was like it was put together by a film student in 1992 on his $200 Casio keyboard. I could have overlooked it if the plot was good enough but t wasn't.

A lot of this episode relied on extreme contrivance. Like handsome contemporary cop would leave some stranger claiming to be a cop alone in a room with a suspect without seeing her badge. And even if he was stupid enough to do that he would have been straight back in that room the instant the CCTV went out. Then we have the very convenient phonecall that interrupts his boss from asking for her supervisor's details, followed by him being so upset after the attack on the precinct that he just tells her to transfer herself. It was extremely lazy writing, which I could have glossed over if the main plot had been good enough but it just wasn't.

We didn't see enough of 2077 at all. I know that the device of her recalling events she never paid proper attention to at the time will keep sending us back there but we needed a bit more set up. The little bit we saw of the future made it seem like little more than a future version of now. We got a tiny smidge of debate with Keira's lone friend lamenting the loss of democracy but even he didn't seem that bothered and none of the rest of the group gave a damn. Why are Liber8 so pissed off? A corporate society relies on a reasonably libertarian society of consumers who are always becoming slightly more affluent so they can keep consuming and allow the corporations to keep expanding. If people are poor and can't consume they are of little use to corporations, unless of course they are producers working in sweatshops. Presumably then the world of 2077 is two tier and those two tiers are no longer kept so far apart by geography as they are now. We needed to see more of that so we could understand why Liber8 are trying to so hard to change things that they think little of killing 10s of 1000s as collateral damage.

Worst of all is that most of the Liber8 people who are back in 2012 a bunch of psychopaths instead of terrorists/guerilla fighters who believe in a genuine political cause. They just seem like nutters trying to destroy a nice enough society because they are bad. It would be a lot more interesting if they were ordinary people hardened by living in a tough producer society, with certain members of the group, like the tech guy, former members of the consumer society who couldn't live with the loss of personal freedoms and the inequalities he'd stopped turning a blind eye to.

I'll give it a few more episodes because what I read about the show made it seem like it was a lot smarter than it was and I'm holding out a hope that the next few episodes will start into that direction. That and it's nice to see the Cigarette Smoking Man again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd guess that most of those things were deliberate and will be explained as the show progresses, they can't give away everything in the pilot :)

I enjoyed it, it was a pretty solid opener. I'm a little worried that the bad guys will split up and it will be a case of chasing one down each week, with lots of cuts to the future, like Alcatraz. I hope they have something more imaginative in mind.

• Advertisement

well to be fair to her iguana she has just touched down in 2012 and weaved a lie out of noting so she could gain access to the suspect, i doubt very much shell know how to sort her identity that quick,

music can always make a episode feel better than it actually is, maybe they should get onto the crew who scored Stargate Universe (sure they probably live across the road), they had some great music on that show,

and the main problem you would have with showing to much of the future is continuity, making X relate to Y but 60 years apart,

also even with corporations running the world war most likely still exists, some of the liber8 people was ex soldiers, if the world is run by corporations why do they need armies???

an interesting start so far anyway, i though the CSM would be the kid alright, and was it me or did he seem very happy when he met Kiera at the end, i knew he was happy she got sent back in time, but was it because he wants to change things in the past or make things work out for himself in the future,

i loved it anyway, a great start to to a show i hope runs for a few years,

EDIT: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/05/28/sci-fi-drama-continuum-crushes-the-competition-in-canada-in-its-premiere/135945/

1.7 million over 2 airings, supposedly great rating and crushed the competition,

Anyway now weve all agreed its awesome :P, lets get onto speculation.

What do people make of the husbands reaction to her suddenly being inside the execution chamber? Is he involved with libr8?

Also promo for next week

^ it broke records in Canada....i thought the pilot was excellent, i'm in....fuller review at the weekend, this is akin to The Walking Dead in the US, in terms of ratings.

Eppy 2 tonight....this show has garner alot of publicity stateside + global :)

Continuum Episode 1.03 - Wasting Time
    Murder victims with holes bored in their heads show up; Kiera and Carlos try to find out why the victims are being killed.

confirmed, im in this for the long haul,

superb 2nd episode, i like that we get flashbacks to the future, means we should find out exactly why liber8 went back,

great how her identity was sorted out, and at least we don't have to remember both her names now:)

i want one of them suits :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I much preferred the second episode! Liked the musical montage at the end, reminded me of SGU and sure Jennifer Spence played Dr. Park in that and random analyst in this. And like how they mentioned TOR instead of giving some CSI Technobabble line.

What's up with the weird field of view shots where only the very center of the shot is in focus? I though that was really annoying.

Your man going in to the bank with a duffel bag full of money probably looks really suspicious too.

Anyone get an ad for Fido in the middle of this?

Conor108 wrote: »
    I much preferred the second episode! Liked the musical montage at the end, reminded me of SGU and sure Jennifer Spence played Dr. Park in that and random analyst in this. And like how they mentioned TOR instead of giving some CSI Technobabble line.

What's up with the weird field of view shots where only the very center of the shot is in focus? I though that was really annoying.

Your man going in to the bank with a duffel bag full of money probably looks really suspicious too.

Anyone get an ad for Fido in the middle of this?
    yes im thinking of switching :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I've only watched the pilot so far, but I'm not too impressed... I expected more than a procedural cop fish-out-of-water drama. Plus the acting from the lead is dodgy at best. I'll stick with it to see if it improves; wouldn't be the first time I've been less than impressed and stuck it out until it improved (or didn't)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's getting a little better but there are all sorts of stupid things in it. Like why did they use a machine that could tear a hole in time to execute people? What happened to the injection?

It looks like it intends to be an action show and the plot will only be a way of linking certain action scenes together.

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's getting a little better but there are all sorts of stupid things in it. Like why did they use a machine that could tear a hole in time to execute people? What happened to the injection?

It looks like it intends to be an action show and the plot will only be a way of linking certain action scenes together.

It looked like the machine was simply an energy source designed to kill people and they hijacked that energy with the little ball thing to open the hole

ScumLord wrote: »

wha:confused::confused:, it was more than likely suppose to electrocute them, but instead they used it to power that ball device that sent them back in time, how did you think the machine tore a hole in time,

Week 3 sees another ratings drop, but still a hit for Showcase: http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/06/continuum-episode-3-ratings.html

Blah blah ratings blah blah. :o

Just enjoy the flippin' show.

Mr E wrote: »
    Blah blah ratings blah blah. :o

Just enjoy the flippin' show.

LOL Richard doesnt watch shows, just the ratings

VinLieger wrote: »
    LOL Richard doesnt watch shows, just the ratings

I do watch them....but not every show i post about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement