Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone see Sugar Ray Leonard on the Late Late last night?

Options
  • 17-03-2012 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

I'm on the RTE player and going through the show, but I can't seem to find his interview.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,191 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I saw the last 5 mins. I want to catch the whole piece. The last 5 mins was about Hagler, and the Kardashians. He was godfather to Kloe Kardashian. The Late Late is usually repeated late on Monday nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

The entire show is on RTE Player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I watched it last night, such a disappointing interview, the questions were boring. Can't beliew how well he looks for his age. He looks like he could still be boxing.

The entire show is on RTE Player.

Yes, but if you can't find the SRL interview, then is it all on the player?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭Ardent

Saw him on the Johnathon Ross show tonight. Looks fantastic for his age! He has a book out apparently, wouldn't mind getting it. His fight v Hagler is one of my all time favourites.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I enjoyed it, he really looks well-fair play to him

Looks about same age as mayweather!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Is he in Ireland for a reason - love to see him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

He's promoting his book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Is he signing the book at any event or shop? My favourite boxer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

Christ did anyone land a punch on that face during his career?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Signing was on Friday:( in Easons on O'Connell Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Blast it. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I watched it last night, such a disappointing interview, the questions were boring. Can't beliew how well he looks for his age. He looks like he could still be boxing.

That's the main problem with the Late Late, Mr Tubridy's boring questions. He makes the most potentially interesting guests appearence a non event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

That's the main problem with the Late Late, Mr Tubridy's boring questions. He makes the most potentially interesting guests appearence a non event.

The questions are per approved so you can't blame tubs for everything. Sugar ray came across well. Raging I missed the signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

And after all those years boxing he still looks like he's in his 30s.

I thought it was quite bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Bound to be bland when the questioning is crap.

Looks great for his age, fairly well spoken.

Bound to be bland when the questioning is crap.

Looks great for his age, fairly well spoken.

Interviewer or not I never found SRL all that appealing or interesting anyway.

Super fighter all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

My favourite fighter of all time. :)

I loved his first fight vs Duran, when everyone expected him to jab and run, but he stood toe to toe with one of the great fighters. personally and in a lot of other peoples opinion I thought he won that fight, but he fefo won the re-match or the famous no mas fight, where Duran gave up, and Leonards famous windmill fake and jab. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭megadodge

personally and in a lot of other peoples opinion I thought he won that fight,

Fixed that for you.

You're in a very, very small minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

megadodge wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

You're in a very, very small minority.

He went toe to toe and landed as much if not more than Duran did, I remember the commentators at the time thought that Duran did not win the fight on clean punches, but because he was going forward most of the time. Leonard landed more clean shots in that fight.

Second fight was amazing,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

My favourite fighter of all time. :)

I loved his first fight vs Duran, when everyone expected him to jab and run, but he stood toe to toe with one of the great fighters. personally and in a lot of other peoples opinion I thought he won that fight, but he fefo won the re-match or the famous no mas fight, where Duran gave up, and Leonards famous windmill fake and jab. :)

It's been years since I watched it, but I remember thinking he won also. But yes, we'd be in the minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I watched the Sugar Ray interview and I thought it was lacking. Tubridy had every opportunity to ask so many questons about the Big fights, but he didn't, yes they showed a still picture of him landing a blow on Hagler, and SR mentioned that he came out of retirement for the fight, but I would have loved to know what Sugar actually thought of marvelous Marvin & the fight itself (questions begging to be asked), there was no talk of Tommy Hearns or Duran either! The interview lacked depth for boxing fans, Parkinson would have got soo much more out of Sugar Ray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pabzzz

At 6:03..."It's been 6 years since I've been sober" :eek:...:rolleyes:

Pabzzz wrote: »
    At 6:03..."It's been 6 years since I've been sober" :eek:...:rolleyes:

Well spotted. And he still looks in good nick. I guess there's a lot to be said for the odd drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Looks in unbelievable shape in fairness...not as much as a mark on him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭megadodge

He went toe to toe and landed as much if not more than Duran did, I remember the commentators at the time thought that Duran did not win the fight on clean punches, but because he was going forward most of the time. Leonard landed more clean shots in that fight.

Second fight was amazing,

Well, I don't know what version you watched, because I watch that fight more than any other (except Barrera/Morales I) and that fight was similar to most Duran fights - he wasn't taking many clean punches!! Duran's defence in that fight was why I rate him as one of the best defensive fighters ever. Even a fighter as great as SRL in his prime, bigger, younger and stronger had serious problems landing.

SRL definitely closed the gap in the later rounds, but it was too late.

And in fairness to Ray, he has never claimed he won that fight. In fact, he has gone on record as saying "Duran took me to school that night". I think that says more than any observer's opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Have to agree with mega on that.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

Though before the fight Leonard's publicist was testing Leonard's questions to the press. He asked Leonard how he would fight Duran and Leonard responded "flat footed".

IMO Leonard took the wrong approach to the fight, he wanted to go toe to toe with Duran to prove he could prove a punch. But he was a boxer all his career, so that was a wrong move IMO.

In the 2nd fight Duran was celebrating so much he went up to 180lbs, Leonard heard about this and wanted a fight schedueled soon rather than Febuary/March of the next year. Duran didn't want to miss out on a 9 million dollars pay day (he only got 1.5 million the first fight, compared to SRL's 10 million, though 1.5 million was 10 times bigger than he ever got) so he signed in October to fight in November.

Leonard was still in the gym after he 1st fight while Duran was partying. Duran had to starve himself the 3 days beforehand to make weight. Leonard boxed in the 2nd fight and was winning before Duran quit.

Advertisement