Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheap Chinese ditch finders

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

johnos1984 wrote: »
    I find Hankook Ventus 2 a good all rounder tyre :)

I'll give them a look thanks! Approx price?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

gollywog wrote: »

What size?

I paid 80e for 205/55 R16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

darokane wrote: »
    A good driver will control their car no matter what tyre is on it in any conditions.

why do ye people not pull into the hard shoulder ?

johnos1984 wrote: »
    gollywog wrote: »

What size?

I paid 80e for 205/55 R16

235 40 18??? The most I could afford is between 4-500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I bought an aul W124 years ago and it came with a mix of Roundstones on the front and Triangles on the back (tyres brands that is and not actual objects of this shape-although they might have been of more use). The car was a disaster to drive. I remember one day exiting a roundabout with the missus and kids on board and the car just broke away without any provocation what so ever .... in the dry :eek:

Although all four were almost new, I replaced the set with four Dunlop SP200s. Middle of the road tyre with a middle of the road price. Changed the car completly and made it far safer to drive. Funny enough though I gave the old tyres to a mate of mine who was short a few bob and told him to only use them on the back of his missus car which used the same size tyre. He put all four on. They've since split up :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Oh Oh, just seen that i've got one triangle on my car, i've also got one part worn michelin so it'll balance itself out

Tigger wrote: »
    why do ye people not pull into the hard shoulder ?

ha, it takes me 40 minutes to get from Athlone to Dublin, make of that what you will;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

darokane wrote: »
    make of that what you will;)

That you drive like an idiot with ill equipped tyres or you're a troll? You decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Funny enough though I gave the old tyres to a mate of mine who was short a few bob and told him to only use them on the back of his missus car which used the same size tyre. He put all four on. They've since split up :p

Id have told him to put them on the front! Bad tyres on the front lead to understeer which is felt and correctable by most, whereas on back it leads to oversteer which isnt. That is the recommendation of tyre manufacturers also and they widely publicise this fact.

That you drive like an idiot with ill equipped tyres

you can have your opinion, which is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Just for some balance here lads, a couple of months ago I got nankang ns2 put on the rear of the 320d in 255/35/18. I was cringing a bit when I went to get them fitted, I would be a bit snobby about tyres but I was skint at the time.

I have to say I was a bit surprised at how decent they are. The grip is pretty good from them even in the wet and the only time I've had a traction control light on was briskly pulling out of a juntion in the wet. I think for day to day motoring they are 100 per cent adequate.

On the cost thing, my normal Falkens were 50 more a corner each so its not just a tenner more as most say. The nankangs are actually a bit quieter too.

PaulKK wrote: »
    Just for some balance here lads, a couple of months ago I got nankang ns2 put on the rear of the 320d in 255/35/18. I was cringing a bit when I went to get them fitted, I would be a bit snobby about tyres but I was skint at the time.

I have to say I was a bit surprised at how decent they are. The grip is pretty good from them even in the wet and the only time I've had a traction control light on was briskly pulling out of a juntion in the wet. I think for day to day motoring they are 100 per cent adequate.

On the cost thing, my normal Falkens were 50 more a corner each so its not just a tenner more as most say. The nankangs are actually a bit quieter too.

They are the tyres that are currently on my car, they were on it when i bought it. I dont know the least thing about tyres but no problems with traction at all, bit noisy alright but grips the road pretty well, no skids or slips yet. Have them on an audi a4 s line btw

Just for some balance here lads, a couple of months ago I got nankang ns2 put on the rear of the 320d in 255/35/18.
    I have to say I was a bit surprised at how decent they are.

The grip is pretty good from them even in the wet and the only time I've had a traction control light on was briskly pulling out of a juntion in the wet. I think for day to day motoring they are 100 per cent adequate.

I always found Nankangs to be a bit of a suprise package. Bloody excellent value for money too. Sure they wont stick like a soft slick once you really push on but atleast they wont break away for no reason like the stuff from China.

Just from a personel view point I always found Pirelli P6000s to be an excellent all-rounder. Sure there's tyres that last longer,grip longer and cost less but as a jack of all trades I dont think they can be bettered. Lovely and progresive at the limit too. I'd always prefer a tyre that breaks away in a controlled manner (so to speak) rather than one that hangs on till the last then punts you into a ditch backwards without warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

The Nankang NS2's are a vastly better tyre then the old NS1's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I always found Nankangs to be a bit of a suprise package. Bloody excellent value for money too. Sure they wont stick like a soft slick once you really push on but atleast they wont break away for no reason like the stuff from China.

Just from a personel view point I always found Pirelli P6000s to be an excellent all-rounder. Sure there's tyres that last longer,grip longer and cost less but as a jack of all trades I dont think they can be bettered. Lovely and progresive at the limit too. I'd always prefer a tyre that breaks away in a controlled manner (so to speak) rather than one that hangs on till the last then punts you into a ditch backwards without warning.

You do Realise the NANKANG are also Chinese dont you?;)

You do Realise the NANKANG are also Chinese dont you?;)

Well yes and no

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nankang_Rubber_Tire

But its Kinda like calling these guys Americans :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Hawaiians

promo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Same race, the people of Taiwan are still Chinese or 'The Republic of China' as they say in Taiwan :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_China

Same race, the people of Taiwan are still Chinese or 'The Republic of China' as they say in Taiwan :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_China[/QUOTE]

Just like the people in Northern Ireland are Irish .... or British as they say in Britain :p;)

You know and I know its not the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_China

Same race?? ffs, so products made in America can be claimed as Irish then?:rolleyes:

They may be Tawainese but they are still made in China ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I don't think I need evidence to say that tyres made from acrylic plastic won't do the same job as Pirellis. If the Chinese unbranded ones are made from the same material and are well designed, they could do the same job. But that's a big chance to take if you haven't had them professionally tested.

Just a guess but if the tyres don't meet BS or CE standards, your insurance company might try to do you if you have an accident.

Just a guess but if the tyres don't meet BS or CE standards, your insurance company might try to do you if you have an accident.

All tyres sold here legally must have those marks. In fact I think any product sold in Europe must have the CE mark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_mark

All tyres sold here legally must have those marks. In fact I think any product sold in Europe must have the CE mark.

Yeah, but the cheap plastic electronic stuff you can buy in pound/euro shops have CE marks.....that doesn't they are as good as Sony or Phillips or whatever.

A CE mark is next to worthless really.

Yeah, but the cheap plastic electronic stuff you can buy in pound/euro shops have CE marks.....that doesn't they are as good as Sony or Phillips or whatever.
    RoverJames wrote: »

I know that, but I was addressing the point about insurance.

It just means the product is basically fit for purpose and won't fall apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

RoverJames wrote: »

Bit like buying a car from a SIMI garage..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Like you said, that applies to tyres sold in Europe. What if someone bought cheap tyres online from a Chinese retailer?

Like you said, that applies to tyres sold in Europe. What if someone bought cheap tyres online from a Chinese retailer?

I've never seen or heard of any website for buying tyres direct from Chinese manufacturers.

As has been said, all Tyres sold in Europe must have the E mark but this tells you or guarantees nothing about their road holding ability.

Tyres without an E mark won't pass the NCT.

I would be surprised if anyone in Ireland bought their tyres from a supplier outside of Ireland, the UK or Germany.

However, this thread has been discussed in the context of chinese tyres supplied in Ireland, not some grey import tyres.

• Advertisement

Hey im looking at getting either FALKEN FK452 or VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA for my audi a4.
    Both have good reviews but would it be worth the extra few pounds for the verdesteins? What would be the pros and cons of each?!
    Hopefully someone with experience of both could enlighten me?!

Advertisement