Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outboard Engine Fuel Cap Lock?

Options
  • 15-03-2012 9:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, I'm not big into boating or the sea but my uncle has a little boat he takes out fishing every now and then and has had a lot of trouble last year with the outboard engine. Some little scumbags tought it would be great fun to pour water and we think coke into his fuel tank and that cost him first a €70 repair bill but it then happened again and it wrecked his engine leaving him to buy a new one costing €1,100.

He bought a new Yamaha engine but it has a fuel cap something similar to a lawnmower of the screw off type with a removable filter underneath which locks into place.

I wonder if it is possible to get a lockable fuel cap as another boat at the same place got hit again recently and my uncle who has his new engine hasn't taken to sea after the winter yet as he is afraid it will happen to him again!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

These do one http://www.perko.com/catalog/category/fills_and_vents/product/207/ but I'm not sure if it will fit your tank, might help to know what make of tank it is and if it's built into the engine what model the engine is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

why not use an external tank only and leave it at home when not in use. You could even leave a decoy in the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

That sort of trouble is only going to get worse. He's lucky they didn't just put a match to it. If he locks the fuel tank they'll probably chuck the whole lot into the water next time or take a rock to it. Has he considered a runing mooring?

If he can't find a safer place to leave the boat, his only solution is to take the engine home every time or get a good trailer and bring the whole lot home every time.
    Sad but that's the way things are.

Advertisement