Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theres Oil under them there waves....

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

They wouldn't ask unless it would be worth their, and their prospective partners time. SBP had a positive write up about it too.
    "SBP" ? ...Sunday Business Post.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

In today's examiner http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/refinery-set-to-get-barryroe-oil-flow-203919.html

If that holds true the country might make a few bob!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I've a suspicion that the reporter might be speculating inaccurately, the article doesn't say that Mr O'Sullivan himself actually said Whitegate would be used. Iirc it was Mr O'Sullivan himself who was interviewed on Newstalk and said Rotterdam was the most likely refinery to be used due to waxiness.

I've signed for a news trial on the Upstream site so should find out for sure later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

The refinery in its current format only has a future up to 2016. It needs major investment to modernise, and this will only be done if a new source is found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Can't wait for the extremists to start protesting.

• Advertisement

Can't wait for the extremists to start protesting.

They'll have to find cork first.

Cork: Been welcoming pharma and petrolium industries since the early 70s, and no intention of that ever changing.

The Financial Times of last Monday, 20/8/12, had an interesting but in my opinion "dry" article on Norways oil fund. "Norway's National Nest Egg", began in 1996 with $300 million and is now worth $600 billion. I would like to think that in the future there will be a "Irelands National Nest Egg" article in the F.T.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Rocky Bay wrote: »
    The Financial Times of last Monday, 20/8/12, had an interesting but in my opinion "dry" article on Norways oil fund. "Norway's National Nest Egg", began in 1996 with $300 million and is now worth $600 billion. I would like to think that in the future there will be a "Irelands National Nest Egg" article in the F.T.
    Yes it would be nice, only problem I suspect it won't happen in our livetimes. The need for oil has not reached crisis point yet, unless the Iranians try something stupid like nuking Isreal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

There's some speculation emerging recently that the Faroe Islands are the next benefactors of oil

http://www.aftenbladet.no/energi/aenergy/Oil-can-turn-the-Faroe-Islands-into-the-new-Kuwait-3016019.html

I can't believe it was January 1979 :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betelgeuse_incident

Just remembering:
    We had a wall chart in school where we put pins of each of the Irish Ships on a Friday when we got the coordinates off the Times. We all moved the pins to the new locations. The Betelgeuse got it's own permanent black pin on Whiddy.

Very interesting documentary (By Smit Tak) about the Salvage. Don't think its scale has been matched since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Watched this last night fascinating stuff , The Barracuda is now a standby vessel in the North Sea and Smit Lloyds 107 ended up in Nigeria

In regards the Betelgeuse, what happened to the three pieces of the wreck, were they scrapped in Bantry or towed out foreign and scrapped somewhere else?

According to Wiki

A Dutch salvage firm, L. Smit & Co., raised the Betelgeuse in four sections. Smit produced a documentary on the salvage.[12] The first section (the bow) was towed out to open water, 100 miles (160 km) offshore, and scuttled. This measure attracted protests from the fishing community, so two further sections were sealed up and towed to breaking yards in Spain for disposal. A fourth section was broken up locally.[2] During the salvage operation, the life of a diver was lost. The last section was not removed until July 1980. Local fishing grounds were badly contaminated and a clean-up was not finally complete until 1983.

Is there any sign of the Kowloon Bridge in the area where it sank, such as a slick or an oily sheen on the water? I realize it is 25 years since it sank.

Is there any sign of the Kowloon Bridge in the area where it sank, such as a slick or an oily sheen on the water? I realize it is 25 years since it sank.

I don't think so , think she slid off into deep water.

Father could not understand why he left Bantry bay where he had shelter

I don't think so , think she slid off into deep water.

Father could not understand why he left Bantry bay where he had shelter
    Did'nt the gardai board her seeking paperwork because there was a rumor she was carrying very dangerous chemicals? I thought the government had chased her out based on that fear. I believe there was also another ship in distress at the same time but I can't recall the details, it also took shelter due to an Atlantic storm. I flew from NYC that night and I gave myself a stiff neck looking out the right side window hoping to see something if we flew over west Cork. Needless to say with flew farther north and I did not see a thing...

The other vessel in difficulty was the Yarrawonga. the air corps managed to get a salvage crew aboard and they towed her off to repair the gaping hole in her sides. Navy were also standing by to sink her before she got too close to the shoreline.
    Kowloon Bridge had an interesting back story. Her sister ship was the Devonshire, whose catastrophic hull failure during a Typhoon with the loss of all aboard was considered down to design fault.
    What remains of her sits underwater near rocks off toe head. You'll find her ore cargo before you'll recognise a hull.

What ever happen to that guy who bought the wreck

The other vessel in difficulty was the Yarrawonga. the air corps managed to get a salvage crew aboard and they towed her off to repair the gaping hole in her sides. Navy were also standing by to sink her before she got too close to the shoreline.
    Kowloon Bridge had an interesting back story. Her sister ship was the Devonshire, whose catastrophic hull failure during a Typhoon with the loss of all aboard was considered down to design fault.
    What remains of her sits underwater near rocks off toe head. You'll find her ore cargo before you'll recognise a hull.
    Thanks, it is starting to come back to me: the picture of the hole in the Yarrawongas ( starboard ?) side, the picture of the garda near blue 50 gallon drums on the Kowloon Bridge, the thick swirling clouds as we got nearer the west coast that night flying from NYC and the most chilling memory of all...about 15 or 20 years ago reading an article comparing the loss of the Kowloon Bridge and her sister, the Devonshire. I remember thinking after reading the article that, whichever ship was lost first anyone who sailed on its sister(s) was risking their life. I seem to think that it was in English newspaper or a maritime magazine. Does some of the Kowloon Bridges ore cargo wash up on shore or do you actually see ore in the water around her? What ever happened to the Yarrawonga? So far Wikipedia does not provide information on the Yarrawonga other than excerpts from political documents.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Thanks, it is starting to come back to me: the picture of the hole in the Yarrawongas ( starboard ?) side, the picture of the garda near blue 50 gallon drums on the Kowloon Bridge, the thick swirling clouds as we got nearer the west coast that night flying from NYC and the most chilling memory of all...about 15 or 20 years ago reading an article comparing the loss of the Kowloon Bridge and her sister, the Devonshire. I remember thinking after reading the article that, whichever ship was lost first anyone who sailed on its sister(s) was risking their life. I seem to think that it was in English newspaper or a maritime magazine. Does some of the Kowloon Bridges ore cargo wash up on shore or do you actually see ore in the water around her? What ever happened to the Yarrawonga? So far Wikipedia does not provide information on the Yarrawonga other than excerpts from political documents.

Iron ore is an incredibly dense cargo and you load a relatively small amount (in comparison to coal for example) in each hold. I can't see any cargo being washed ashore, it would have sunk very quickly with the ship. On those big bulkers, give me coal any day. I've seen videos of iron ore carriers go down like submarines. The massive holds fill with water and down she goes almost immediately.

I sailed with an old man who did a trip on a bridge-class bulker as first trip cadet. I don't remember the details exactly, but they were loading oil and venting the tanks when they had an explosion on deck. It blew out most of the windows in the front of the accommodation and did a fair bit of damage. He was the most nervous skipper I ever sailed with and would regularly ring up to the bridge if he thought anything didn't "feel right".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

There was an oil tanker in trouble in Bantry bay at the same time as the Kowloon Bridge, she had lost a piece of her hull plateing. Her cargo was transferred to as couple of smaller tankers in Bantry Bay, local shellfish farmers created murder at the time in case there was a spill. The Kowloon's sister ship that was lost was the Derbyshire. The cause of her loss was only cleared up in the last few years, the families of the crew had a long fight to find out what really happened.

Last Sunday, 4/21, the Boston Globe had an article on the Portland Pipe Line Corp. The company operates a pipeline from Portland, Maine to refineries in and around Quebec, Canada. The flow has always been oneway, north into Canada. Now, since there is so much crude leaving Canada and a lack of transportation outward, the company is considering reversing the flow of the pipeline, a southern flow to Portland and waiting tankers. This would allow easier access to Europe and Asia. Just wondering, in time, if any of those tankers would call at Whiddy or Whitegate. www.Bostonglobe.com/Business

Advertisement