Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Challenge

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

benway wrote: »
    Obviously the solution is to have gaelgeoirs working on each of the drafting teams within the department - produce both versions simultaneously rather than queue them for translation. Would say that the cost of running a referendum would cover their wages for 10 years.
    That's impossible to say. I imagine the number of people qualified to work on such translations is relatively small. You can't just use any old gaelgeoirs.

In addition, since draft legislation changes on a regular basis, it makes no sense to have to continue translating and verifying it throughout the draft stage. However, translation ideally should begin in earnest once the final bill is presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

seamus wrote: »
    That's impossible to say. I imagine the number of people qualified to work on such translations is relatively small. You can't just use any old gaelgeoirs.

The Law and Irish courses in UCG and UCC must have at least fifty graduates per year - the Irish language is thriving if you know where to look. Not in Dublin, usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd imagine the fact the deadline to pay by direct debit having passed before the as Gaeilge version of the law has ben published may give a bit more impetus

I'd imagine MichaelD in the Áras might lead to more impetus to insisting on a Gaeilge version of an act being prepared before it is signed into law ( maybe except in rushed cases.)

Maybe I'm a dreamer or I saw an Aisling

Advertisement