Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Hall Restaurant scrap

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've missed ten minutes of Jeremy Kyle for that :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

empirical evidence of a martial art (not some choreographed BS that we normally see posted here) being used in probably the most common self defense situation that most people taking up martial arts want to be able to handle - an aggressive drunk. not 10 guys with knives, guns and machetes...just a drunk guy being a dick.
    yeah there coulda been this or that couldve happened....but there wasnt and look how a guy who's about 5'8" and i think about 10stone easily deals with it without having to hurt the guy but is able to protect himself easily.
    ....and you wont meet a nicer guy than Ryan! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I once held a guy down with knee on stomach for a few minutes , he was'nt much bigger than me though. Still, it presumably that counts as empirical evidence that the choreographed BS i was doing at the time was also supremely street effective :confused:

Two things you can take from that video,
    When he took the nutter down I would have happily put up a score that he would
    a) make the guy promise to be good and then let him back up
    b) it would then kick off again

More interestingly, in a room full of martial artists no one had the sense to realise that their presence was antagonising a dickhead so the best course of action was to get out of his presence rather than face him off. Zero points there.

Bambi wrote: »
    More interestingly, in a room full of martial artists no one had the sense to realise that their presence was antagonising a dickhead so the best course of action was to get out of his presence rather than face him off. Zero points there.

Are you for real?.

Absolutely?. Stand there in front of the dickhead while your mates laugh at him or walk out of the room, which do you think is more likely to result in a fight?

• Advertisement

Absolutely?. Stand there in front of the dickhead while your mates laugh at him or walk out of the room, which do you think is more likely to result in a fight?

I'll tell you now, not in a million years would I have walked out of that situation.

Still, it presumably that counts as empirical evidence that the choreographed BS i was doing at the time

i have no idea who you or what you are on about? paranoid much?

as for the whole group having to leave the restaurant over a bully...are you seriously suggesting doing that every time? wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

i'm not sure if you are being serious but on the off chance that you are, why should a full table of people, in the middle of a meal, minding their own business, leave the restaurant because of one drunk idiot?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭kdowling

come join us here in the real world buddy.

if you would walk out of the room you are either an absolute saint or an absolute coward.

Who said the whole group had to leave? The dick head has a problem with one person in particular so presuming your aim is not to get into a fight just walk off, walk out the back exit, walk into the kitchen or office. Let the guys buddy or the law deal with him and you might even get to sit down again and enjoy your meal once he's gone.

You f**in meal is pretty much ruined when you have to talk to the cops about why you just choked a guy out out but hey if that's your perogative go for it.
    i have no idea who you or what you are on about? paranoid much?

Nothing to do with paranoia, just pointing out that a total hobbyist who was training in what you described as choreographed BS achieved the same the result as a world champion grappler, sitting on a drunk is not exactly something to stick on the CV really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

No way I would have left either, and I've no idea how you think walking away and then coming straight back would work.

Nothing to do with paranoia, just pointing out that a total hobbyist who was training in what you described as choreographed BS

not paranoid....but yet you assumed i was talking about the specific art you train in? i have no clue what you train in, or more importantly how you train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Was hoping to see some rdlr inversion to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭slammer187

Chris89 wrote: »

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭SorGan

bambi is dead right.
    drop the egos and its easy to see.
    and im no coward, just grew up a while back.

SorGan wrote: »
    bambi is dead right.
    drop the egos and its easy to see.
    and im no coward, just grew up a while back.

If there was security on the premises there might be an argument for leaving the table and asking security to remove the person - I'm called to do this a dozen times a weekend.

In the case posted there are no security/bouncers.

Put in the position of a bouncer sometimes its advisable to walk away, ie you pull someone out of the premises so they're pissed at you and want to have a go.. In this case the guys on the door will often just say 'go back inside' and then play 'good cop, bad cop.

Example 'Listen buddy your man is a bit of an asshole but he f*cked you out for a reason, there's nothing I can do for you.. Come back another time and you'll be back in' - nine times out of ten this works and there is no trouble.

IN this case its cool to walk away and its really no skin off my nose.

In the clip posted, now in all honesty tell me how you could walk away - someone suggested out the back exit or into a kitchen?.. Seriously that kind of stuff belongs up there with the fairies.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DavidPhelan

slammer187 wrote: »
    Chris89 wrote: »

Why?

Chris is just very serious about his jiu-jitsu and is all about pulling out the flashy moves in public fights. I, however, disagree and believe he should have pulled 50/50 guard, thus using this to promote his team.

Bambi is dead right, I mean that guy would have had no problem going off on his merry way if Ryan went into the kitchen and just helped with the dishes.

I have to say though, poor show that the waiter didn't give him the points, think he was cheated out of about 9 points in the first match.

As I said, this is all very serious stuff! ;-)

I've got an idea, why don't we set up a sport where all martial arts can fight each other with minimal rules and see which ones work the best in as close to a real fight as possible...... Who's with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

if you walk into another room or outside he would more than likely just follow him and continue harassing him. how does that solve anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

I've got an idea, why don't we set up a sport where all martial arts can fight each other with minimal rules and see which ones work the best in as close to a real fight as possible...... Who's with me?

It would never work, even with proof some people would still just live in denial... theoretically of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DavidPhelan

Peetrik wrote: »

It would never work, even with proof some people would still just live in denial... theoretically of course.

Our friend, the Disney character needs to be introduced to this new sport that clearly proves traditional martial arts are more effective.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Strange, I posted about being attacked and intimidated for over 20 minutes along with a respectable couple and 2 terrified chipper staff (women) by a drunk mid-20s guy who WOULD NOT STOP, and barraged and harrassed all in the chippers, eventually assaulting me (can of beer thrown over a €500 suit). When I dealt with him harshly and efficiently, I was called names and insulted and not believed by a number of the same people here who now say they wouldn't walk away, they would deal with the guy etc etc.

It seems to me that there is a closed shop in this forum and that posters (and Mods) who know each others backgrounds and presume to be superior (knowledge-wise or martially) to other Boardsies feel its ok to apply different rules of conduct towards different members.

For what its worth, in this original OP, I would, if i thought I was the object of the drunk's aggression, lure him out at worst or remove myself temporarily at best. If I felt there was an imminent threat to others, I would react forcibly. Strangely, that's what I recounted before and was ridiculed for. Strangely here, when @Bambi opts for a passive defence as an initial move, HE is mocked by the same people who mocked me for being a 'vigilante'.

I would have thought right and wrong (collective good, not personal ego lads, life isn't a Bruce Lee film) would be self-apparent. Less harm is best. Trained guys like yourselves should be well able to neutralise a threat without all of this heady ego and emotion that's being aired. Normal stealth punters like myself who can defend ourselves extremely ably would fare better in front of a judge than trained and forewarned gossuns like yourselves.....

There is a continuous bias towards bashing of self-defence advocates by MMA adherents who fail to recognise that stealth and deception are the greatest weapons in real life and, if needed, street fights.

I don't expect a fair hearing on this forum. I expect Doug to wonder wide-eyed why I have posted at 3+AM.... Doug >>> "All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved"

BTW Now if Roustabout Ryan had just carried a fistful ( ;) ) of zippo, he could have facilitated the guy.......

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Strange, I posted about being attacked and intimidated for over 20 minutes along with a respectable couple and 2 terrified chipper staff (women) by a drunk mid-20s guy who WOULD NOT STOP, and barraged and harrassed all in the chippers, eventually assaulting me (can of beer thrown over a €500 suit). When I dealt with him harshly and efficiently, I was called names and insulted and not believed by a number of the same people here who now say they wouldn't walk away, they would deal with the guy etc etc.

It seems to me that there is a closed shop in this forum and that posters (and Mods) who know each others backgrounds and presume to be superior (knowledge-wise or martially) to other Boardsies feel its ok to apply different rules of conduct towards different members.

For what its worth, in this original OP, I would, if i thought I was the object of the drunk's aggression, lure him out at worst or remove myself temporarily at best. If I felt there was an imminent threat to others, I would react forcibly. Strangely, that's what I recounted before and was ridiculed for. Strangely here, when @Bambi opts for a passive defence as an initial move, HE is mocked by the same people who mocked me for being a 'vigilante'.

I would have thought right and wrong (collective good, not personal ego lads, life isn't a Bruce Lee film) would be self-apparent. Less harm is best. Trained guys like yourselves should be well able to neutralise a threat without all of this heady ego and emotion that's being aired. Normal stealth punters like myself who can defend ourselves extremely ably would fare better in front of a judge than trained and forewarned gossuns like yourselves.....

There is a continuous bias towards bashing of self-defence advocates by MMA adherents who fail to recognise that stealth and deception are the greatest weapons in real life and, if needed, street fights.

I don't expect a fair hearing on this forum. I expect Doug to wonder wide-eyed why I have posted at 3+AM.... Doug >>> "All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved"

BTW Now if Roustabout Ryan had just carried a fistful ( ;) ) of zippo, he could have facilitated the guy.......
    Jesus wept. You were asked to take a week off to get a feel for the place so that you could try and make some more constructive posts when you came back. It doesn't look like you have done that.

First post back and you're complaining about your banning, dragging up this vigilantism thing that got you banned in the first place, and you're calling me out by name. Where do you plan on going with this? (That's a rhetorical question by the way.)

In the clip posted, now in all honesty tell me how you could walk away - someone suggested out the back exit or into a kitchen?.. Seriously that kind of stuff belongs up there with the fairies.

While they're all sat at a table together they are relatively safe, one guy gets up and leaves, he's on his own and could get in trouble.

Personally I thought it looked like the drunk guy was more a danger to himself than anyone else and - with hindsight - Hall shouldn't have double legged him like that, but it's not easy to keep cool while someone's right in your face like that and at least he didn't clock the drunk guy, which would be a lot of people's fight or flight response.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

Hmmm. Couple of points on this. I'm normally all in favour of walking away when someone starts getting worked up but im not sure how suitable that is in this situation. First off the man changes targets more than once, and they are part of a group. Any individual leaving does not guaranty safety for the group because he may simply switch targets again.
    So, any exit strategy needs to involve the whole group. The problems there are these. One - he is blocking the front entrance itself, which is the one any large group could exit most easily with.
    Two - mobilizing the whole group to leave is going to involve delays and disagreements especially if they are trying to use an alternative exit. It would take longer than it took for the scene to escalate anyway.
    Three - a group exit is very obvious looking and will likely zone in on it anyway.

Now to the takedown. This looked like it was a little early since he was still mainly getting in Ryans face rather than attacking. On the other hand the guy has already shoved another patron a few times and is clearly heading in that direction with Ryan so im not gonna judge anyone for trying to neutralize a threat.
    My problem is this. Take down occurs, Ryan assumes control position, the threat clearly has no idea how to respond. Might not be method id use but if it works.
    The problem is they let him back up without maintaining control of him. They just disengage and let an already hostile person work themselves up again after the conflict has escalated. That I don't get.
    I'd have kept him in a control position or locked up until the authorities arrived, as its mentioned they've been called.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

The only reason to go into the kitchen is to change costume. You can't have you'd friends and family knowing you're Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

My problem is the length of the episode. Its crazy. Once Ryan had committed to taking him down, the cops should have been called and the guy should have been kept restrained.

What happened was ineffective, dangerous and symptomatic of a sports-trained mind. The overarching strategy should have been one of a bouncer at best or a streetfighter at worst; depending on which route the guy's volatility necessitated. By prolonging the conflict, Ryan allowed other egos to stoke both yer man's fires and also, subsconsciously his own. The longer these things go on, the more chance there is that your adrenaline takes over. To me, Ryan looked ill at ease at the table. Way too ill at ease for someone well trained. That can be because of the group dynamic. If he was with a group of 'normals', perhaps his actions would have been more warriorlike; and by that I of course mean restrained until necessary and then efficient and quick. But he wasn't. I am sure most bouncers here would not prolong the embarrassment of a protagonist? Its not good for any longterm results; for you, for him or for the establishment.

What I'm saying is that I saw very poor 'software' at work in this clip. The aim should always be peace and safety. Surely some of the ex-soldiers here understand the wholesome morality of peace enforcement? Again, I am no vigilante. Ryan moved a little too quickly and then wallowed in the moment VERY ineffectively. That diminishes the latent threat power of a martial art for me. It also allowed and fed off of the gloating lesser people attending. Its always a pleasure to defend, its never a pleasure to have to hurt surely? His mindset seemed lacking and that of his crew seemed infantile. They were as much a problem as he was once Ryan took him to ground. Shameful taunting; should have shut their mouths and deflate the situation. Instead, they deflated any authority they had over the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Now to the takedown. This looked like it was a little early since he was still mainly getting in Ryans face rather than attacking.

The guy is very aggressive, he threatens to bite Ryans nose off and then leans in still giving every indication of spoiling for a fight, at this point I would have done everything in my power to hurt the guy as badly as possible to avoid getting my nose bitten off.

I like my nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

I find in these situations, it's always best to ask yourself one question...

What would John Wayne have done?

An Ri rua wrote: »
    To me, Ryan looked ill at ease at the table. Way too ill at ease for someone well trained.

Of course he looks ill at ease. He's trying to have some dinner with his friends, and some random guy is screaming in his face. That would make anyone ill at ease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

Peetrik wrote: »
    The guy is very aggressive, he threatens to bite Ryans nose off and then leans in still giving every indication of spoiling for a fight, at this point I would have done everything in my power to hurt the guy as badly as possible to avoid getting my nose bitten off.

I like my nose.

That's why I followed up afterwards saying the guy was clearly heading in that direction and I wouldn't hold it against anyone for trying to stop the threat. And Im sure you have a very nice nose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement