Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,285 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Desperate (in both senses) stuff from them in the last few days.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The press release was a joke. I can picture Dave shouting out to Ben Conroy, son of Breda, that he's putting his name to some rant for the marriage thing. The whole conservative circle is minute compared to their media presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Nodin wrote: »
    O look - a member of the Iona institute conflating gay couples adopting with the marriage referendum. Take it away Breda -

"This is a referendum about re-defining marriage, and therefore parenting.
    Mary McAleese is a terrific role model as a woman who has always worked outside the home while maintaining a strong family life. As a mother, she is obviously vital to all her children.
    But if the referendum is passed, there will be children born in this country who will never experience a mother’s love. "
    http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/breda-o-brien-does-mary-mcaleese-understand-why-people-are-voting-no-1.2179917

Not that I'm saying it's part of a co-ordinated strategy, jaysus no.

TBH if I had her for a mother I think I would seek some form of legal separation. I thought one of the so called Christian values is to love your fellow wo/man. These Iona sickos don't have any love as far as I can see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭a postere

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Does that mean the Catholics and Christians (are Catholics not Christians??? :eek:) who support SSM are 'self hating' or some such nonsense?

Probably, since Gay people not in favour of same sex marriage have been labeled self hating gays and homophobes by the yes side.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Someone should explain to Breda slowly and with very simple words that growing up with two men doesn't mean you don't know your mother or that you don't have a relationship with her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

a postere wrote: »
    Probably, since Gay people not in favour of same sex marriage have been labeled self hating gays and homophobes by the yes side.

Yer whaa?

By the way how much are Lolek paying you?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,285 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There's a big difference between being not in favour of something for oneself, and deciding that something consenting adults may wish to do is so awful that everyone in society must be denied it however much they want it.

The latter is supremely conceited and arrogant.

I wonder was Breda's missive written with knowledge of Mary McAleese's personal interest in the question? If Breda has any shame she should be feeling very ashamed of herself right now.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

a postere wrote: »

monkey-with-cymbals-o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Breda in the Indo....

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gays-should-abstain-from-sex-like-all-unmarried-couples-31153701.html

Nothing very new there, same old nonsense. What is interesting is that the comments are about 90% hostile to her.

One of the few pro-Breda comments says "I'll be voting No to protect our children and the unborn". Slight confusion there about the referendum, methinks....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

What i'm noticing is the YES side are quite vague and "sure it's grand" whilst the No side are picking apart the constitution, and all legal ramifications with a fine tooth comb, and to an undecided catholic irish voter it's the No side that come out better. They are basically winning votes by muddying the waters. The yes side need to start hammering home that children are being dealt with seperately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Even the No side on Facebook admit Breda's interview was a huge mistake. And her family on Twitter who would normally publicize this are absolutely quiet. Saying gay sex is unnatural and that God's love is withheld from gay people is not exactly the kind of message the No side wants to put across these days.

P.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

oceanclub wrote: »
    Even the No side on Facebook admit Breda's interview was a huge mistake. And her family on Twitter who would normally publicize this are absolutely quiet. Saying gay sex is unnatural and that God's love is withheld from gay people is not exactly the kind of message the No side wants to put across these days.

P.

We need more Breda.
    Breda articles every day.
    On the Front Page.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

We need more Breda.
    On the Front Page.

Be careful what you wish for there...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,857 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Wait...I didn't want to bump up the view counter on that interview with Iona's own Dolores Umbridge, so I didn't read it. Did she really say homosexual sex was unnatural?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

"She says she knew she would never be a nun because "I love men too much"

The complete wetser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

We need more Breda.
    On the Front Page.

But the eyes in the picture suck out my soul.........

ElChe32 wrote: »
    "She says she knew she would never be a nun because "I love men too much"

The complete wetser

What is a "wetser"? (I'm really asking..) I can kind of guess, but it's a term I haven't heard before. Maybe it's something all the kids are saying, but I haven't been a kid for a while.....

fisgon wrote: »
    What is a "wetser"? (I'm really asking..) I can kind of guess, but it's a term I haven't heard before. Maybe it's something all the kids are saying, but I haven't been a kid for a while.....

"an attractive female who instigates sexual arousal of the male usually through the wearing of provocative attire, or merely by having an amazing rack/arse"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

"an attractive female who instigates sexual arousal of the male usually through the wearing of provocative attire, or merely by having an amazing rack/arse"

I did not know that.

Isn't learning fun.

I see you got that off Urban Dictionary, I only thought to look there now. I assume, from the examples given there, that it is an Irish term, probably Dublin, given the -er suffix the Dubs like to put on things.

Whatever, I think we can safely say that that is the first time that BOB has been called this, and maybe the last..... ;)

• Advertisement

I'd say she's a divil' in the sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smiley92a

Wait...I didn't want to bump up the view counter on that interview with Iona's own Dolores Umbridge, so I didn't read it. Did she really say homosexual sex was unnatural?

I think she was more evasive than that, said something like 'it depends on what you mean by "natural"'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I wonder if she thinks life.long celibacy is natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

"i suppose it depends on what you mean by natural"

cmon folks that is not an unreasonable view for a fundamentalist christian

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

"i suppose it depends on what you mean by natural"

cmon folks that is not an unreasonable view for a fundamentalist christian

It's not a view; it's an evasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

I did not know that.

Isn't learning fun.
    Not this time :mad:
    I'd say she's a divil' in the sheets.
    Why?! For crying out loud, WHY?!

If she's sexually uptight on paper, what ON EARTH makes you think she'd let go at home?! The thought that she might just be *looking like a good girl* in her articles but a rampant sex fiend in real life makes me want to heave tbh. That would be genuinely worse than thinking she has these sincerely held religious beliefs about sexual intercourse. Ew.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Shrap wrote: »
    Not this time :mad:

Why?! For crying out loud, WHY?!

If she's sexually uptight on paper, what ON EARTH makes you think she'd let go at home?! The thought that she might just be *looking like a good girl* in her articles but a rampant sex fiend in real life makes me want to heave tbh. That would be genuinely worse than thinking she has these sincerely held religious beliefs about sexual intercourse. Ew.

Yeah, I've been wondering too why it makes me feel nauseous, and I think it's because of the way it plays into the whole "oh they're all gagging for it really, no matter what they may say to you" thing.

Not saying the poster - or indeed Breda O'B - meant it that way, but that whole thing of the woman who makes a display of being terribly prudish but in fact can't get enough of it leaves me a little uneasy about what "no" is supposed to mean in that case.

If you think I was being serious..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Didn't at all. Just that I got a bit sick in my mouth at the thought of it. Plus, it's that whole thing about a woman preferred to be (by folk of an unhealthy attitudinal persuasion towards women) "A cook in the kitchen, a lady in the parlour and a whore in the bedroom" that smacks of "shut the fcuk up woman and make me a sangwich".

I got that you were joking, but in combination with the lovely Breda's own gender stereotyping and narrow minded parenting roles, it conjured up a nasty taste in my mouth, namely the 1950's and how we're still there in some ways. No worries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭volchitsa

No, I think everyone got that it was a joke, and like I said, I didn't even think that you were displaying the attitudes Shrap and I were referring to. I just meant that your joke was bitingly close to the sort of nun-or-whore attitude that Breda O'Brien is (possibly unconsciously) still peddling.

It wasn't meant as a criticism of you. Honest. :)

Advertisement