Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

mikom wrote: »
    Alien, with Sigourney Weaver?

"David Quinn mostly comes out at night...... mostly"
    That's from Aliens
    /scuttles away

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

lazygal wrote: »
    I'm sick to death of hearing that because we have a 'world class maternity system' (yeah right) we don't need abortion. Of course, women who simply don't wish to remain pregnant aren't weighing up the 'excellent' maternity care when they decide abortion is the best option.

We also have reasonably priced nappies. Ergo, abortion is never necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Galvasean wrote: »
    We also have reasonably priced nappies. Ergo, abortion is never necessary.

pfft Galvasean, you know they don't care about the little critters once are born

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Obviously it is completely up to God who gets to reproduce and who doesn't.
    As God is omnipotent this ensures that every, single baybee (even in the case of multiple births) is guaranteed to be born into the ideal environment to ensure their future well being.

Does quinn believe that IVF babies are different then?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

If I ever find myself understanding what Quinn believes I'm signing up for a huggy jacket and a padded cell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

No. I imagine he's being more hardcore about his beliefs than most other pro-lifers, but at least he's being consistent. It's about the fact that IVF requires a number of embryos to be grown, and the best ones picked for implantation. Resulting of course in a number of rejects that are disposed of.

Amazingly, most pro-lifers call this different to killing an embryo through abortion, but I can't see how they figure that one out. It's probably only different because they KNOW someone having IVF who REALLY WANTS a baby, so it's not like abortion at all :pac:

By my reckoning by the way - there must be more IVF related embryo deaths every year to Irish parents than there are abortion related embryo deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

But lots of fertilised ovums never implant anyway. It's OK when god does it though.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Nature is the most efficient and ruthless abortionist of all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

ninja900 wrote: »
    But lots of fertilised ovums never implant anyway. It's OK when god does it though.

Ahh but that's god's plan ;) It's not ok when WE do it, even if the end result is a much wanted IVF baby. Or if YOU decide to abort a fetus, suddenly god makes that fetus MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than the one he made miscarry in your next door neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

If "nature" aborts/miscarries the fetus/baby, then no problem. It's only when humans do the aborting that they have an issue.

In the same way that if an animal is cruel to another animal in the wild, that's just "nature", but if the amimal cruelty is carried out by a human, the animal rights people are up in arms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Corkfeen wrote: »
    It still astonishes me that David Quinn actually gets published in the mainstream press. And it always tends to be absolute rubbish which he produces. :D
    Could be the same reason George Hook and Dunphy are hired too? is he just there to rile people?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The "god's plan" argument must be the most inane of the lot. If a god had a plan what sort of plastic joke god would he need to be for me to be able to wreck it by hitting the sperm bank?

If you proved he existed to me I'd probably give him a wedgie, he's clearly a sniveler.

lazygal wrote: »
    Nature is the most efficient and ruthless abortionist of all.

With the development of highly sensitive assays for hCG levels that can detect an early pregnancy even prior to the expected next period (menstruation), researchers have been able to show that around 60% to 70% of all pregnancies (recognized and unrecognized) are lost. Because the loss occurs so early, many miscarriages occur without the woman ever having known she was pregnant.

http://www.medicinenet.com/miscarriage/article.htm
    keane2097 wrote: »
    The "god's plan" argument must be the most inane of the lot. If a god had a plan what sort of plastic joke god would he need to be for me to be able to wreck it by hitting the sperm bank?

If you proved he existed to me I'd probably give him a wedgie, he's clearly a sniveler.

Gods plan. What a joke

65 million years ago the dinosaurs didn't praise god enough so guess what the petty narcissistic cnut does ....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

With the development of highly sensitive assays for hCG levels that can detect an early pregnancy even prior to the expected next period (menstruation), researchers have been able to show that around 60% to 70% of all pregnancies (recognized and unrecognized) are lost. Because the loss occurs so early, many miscarriages occur without the woman ever having known she was pregnant.

http://www.medicinenet.com/miscarriage/article.htm

Gods plan. What a joke
    I remember hearing something about that; doesn't it boil down to 'just about every time your period has been late you've had a miscarriage'?
    65 million years ago the dinosaurs didn't praise god enough so guess what the petty narcissistic cnut does ....
    Yeah, but they were around for 160 million years before he got round to it, so we should be ok for a while.

kylith wrote: »
    I remember hearing something about that; doesn't it boil down to 'just about every time your period has been late you've had a miscarriage'?

That can't possibly be correct...:eek:

That can't possibly be correct...:eek:

My mother was probably paraphrasing, but the gist was that you get knocked up, and miscarry, a lot more than you'd think.

My mother was probably paraphrasing, but the gist was that you get knocked up, and miscarry, a lot more than you'd think.

How very hetro-normative of her. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Even when you're not having sex?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Pherekydes wrote: »

Toilet seats. Not a myth.

How very hetro-normative of her. ;)
    You know what Mammys are like. I hate to admit it, but there can be a bit of 'I'm not a bigot, but...' from her.
    Pherekydes wrote: »

Especially when you're not having sex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

keane2097 wrote: »
    Toilet seats. Not a myth.

That's a myth!

Yeah, but they were around for 160 million years before he got round to it, so we should be ok for a while.

Ok so petty narcissistic and ........ LAZY :pac:

I have a monty python style scene in my head now.

god in bed and his mother nagging up at him Irish style,
    "youv'e been in that bed 160 million years, you can't stay up there forever, now get up and do something about them dino's if it's bothering you so much"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

So THAT is why the gas giants have such fierce storms. :eek:

So THAT is why the gas giants have such fierce storms. :eek:

Yea they were all probably stunning planets before he got pissed off and destroyed them all. I reckon if the people who invented religion had known about planets there would be stories like that. ....

And god condemned the planet into a perpetual fiery storm, and he did smote them all.

p551465553-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

66 [/pedant]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

^^^ That's the spirit!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

and he did smote them all.

did smite them all. Sheesh.

Nice pic though :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

As long as the dolphins are still in the sea and happily eating fish we're going to be fine. :)

2 pedants in 3 posts, whats the odds ..............

Galvasean wrote: »
    66 [/pedant]

The space rock that hit Earth 65 million years ago and is widely implicated in the end of the dinosaurs was likely a speeding comet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21709229
    ninja900 wrote: »
    did smite them all. Sheesh.

Nice pic though :)

Smote is the past tense of smite

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

2 pedants in 3 posts, whats the odds ..............

The space rock that hit Earth 65 million years ago and is widely implicated in the end of the dinosaurs was likely a speeding comet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21709229

Smote is the past tense of smite

"did smite" is past tense due to the inclusion of the word "did".

You can correctly use "did smite" or "smote", but not "did smote".

/pedant-bandwagon-hopping :P

If you can read this, you're too close!

Advertisement