Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Just had the following come up on my timeline on Facebook it's from Wicklow People Sport, anyone able to shed any light on it? And mods apologies if I'm crossing a line posting it and feel free to delete, but seen as it's on another social platform I assume it's ok

Wicklow County PRO Dave Murray has said that he cannot comment on exact details of the alleged verbal abuse of Andy O'Brien by some Meath players and at least one official today because of the investigation that the GAA will undertake.
    He did however, say that "in this day an age we have to examine ourselves as a society if people think that racial or sectarian abuse is acceptable in any form.
    "We're failing ourselves, our children and our fellow man if we accept these standards.
    No member of any culture or of any creed should have to listen to the abuse that I heard today. It was vile, it was humiliating, it was disgusting and there was genuine hurt".

Edit: I see a remark further down the page saying it was related to the chap being from the travelling community, it was also the lad that was sent off for Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

dixiefly wrote: »
    I think we are moving in the right direction number 1 to 9 (with Gillespie due back).

Up front, there needs to be a fair bit of soul searching from management with only Tormey and S. Bray from starters last night guaranteed starting slots (though I do think Biggie is there or thereabouts and fingers crossed for E. Wallace).

Tactics and personnel should be reviewed and fresh faces considered for the championship panel.

Tactics definitely need to be reviewed, i still after 2+ years dont know what the gameplan is, if its to drop the half forwards so deep that they then cant get up to support the Full Forward then its working perfectly, We have to support and get players around whoever is there, otherwise we end up like the other night, shooting from long range, where some went over but alot didnt.

A few times the other night, wing backs were higher up the field then the wing forwards, that shouldn't be happening

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Football Championship and Hurling Championship draws made.

Tough draw for Ballinlough in the senior. Ratoath will have to do it the hard way if we're to get out of the IFC with Ballivor, Castletown, Trim and Dunderry in our group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

The wicklow player claims rascism, fairly mild to some of the names i have heard players being called down through the years, even though i dont agree with it...it still happens..ask any referee!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Football Championship and Hurling Championship draws made.

Tough draw for Ballinlough in the senior. Ratoath will have to do it the hard way if we're to get out of the IFC with Ballivor, Castletown, Trim and Dunderry in our group.

Hon the Lough :D
    The last time we won the Intermediate grade the following year we made the Senior Semi Final and were unlucky not to win through to the final.
    Hope Springs eternal ;)

• Advertisement

Minors beat Louth 5-17 to 3-11 in the MFL.

Folks is the Roscommon game in Kiltoom or the Hyde does anyone know, because I see from tickets.ie they have it down for Kiltoom and the Gaa site have it for Hyde Park?

Hoganstand have it as Kiltoom as well. Is that just outside Athlone?

The GAA website is generally atrocious for fixture information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

They played Cavan in Kiltoom so I'd imagine it'd be the same for Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

A lot of sources, the GAA's main website included, are incapable of even thinking that some counties might play in more than one ground. Same with newspapers, more than once I've gone to a hurling match in Trim and later would read a report claiming the match was in Navan.

• Advertisement

Cheers lads, Hammer I google mapped Kiltoom the other week it's on the N62 I think it was just north of Athlone. Open to correction however as sometimes Google maps can be wrong!!

rpurfield wrote: »
    Cheers lads, Hammer I google mapped Kiltoom the other week it's on the N62 I think it was just north of Athlone. Open to correction however as sometimes Google maps can be wrong!!
    Yeah I got confused when I Googled it as well. Never been to Kiltoom but looks much closer than Roscommon.

Hurlers being well beaten by Kildare in Trim. Looks like another year in 2B for them unless they manage to make it to the final by winning the rest of their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Disappointing result for the hurlers. Kildare hurling always seems to be one step ahead of us.

Seems like the Roscommon game has been fixed for Dr. Hyde Park again.

Seems like the Roscommon game has been fixed for Dr. Hyde Park again.

Yeah it's down for Hyde on Roscommon's website, I think the last time I was in Hyde park was a league quarter final against Mayo in 96.

rpurfield wrote: »
    Yeah it's down for Hyde on Roscommon's website, I think the last time I was in Hyde park was a league quarter final against Mayo in 96.
    That was where Kevin Reilly got the first of his two 80m+ goals in 2013. Also was Eamonn Wallace's debut that day. And probably the coldest I've ever been at a Meath game

DCU won the Sigerson with Seán Boylan involved in the management team.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Any Meath players on the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭paul71

Was that not a semi-final?

Edit

Sorry did not realise final was 1 day after semi-finals.

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Any Meath players on the team?
    Not that I could see. Could be wrong.

Roscommon game on Sunday has been changed to 1pm. No excuse for ye to miss it seeing as we'll be able to watch the rugby afterwards as well.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if the lads on the senior panel who are still u-21 will be released for the Westmeath game on Wednesday?

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the lads on the senior panel who are still u-21 will be released for the Westmeath game on Wednesday?
    They were last season as far as I can remember so I can't see it being any different this season. Personally I would only let Eamonn Wallace play U21 until it's over. Two games a week after so long out is a disaster waiting to happen.

They were last season as far as I can remember so I can't see it being any different this season. Personally I would only let Eamonn Wallace play U21 until it's over. Two games a week after so long out is a disaster waiting to happen.

Fair enough so will probably be the same again this year. I'd expect it to be a reasonably strong team if the senior panelists are involved

Hopefully it won't be too much strain on the lads having to play more than one match next week

Meath (FL Division 2 v Roscommon) – Paddy O'Rourke; Donnacha Tobin, Conor McGill, Mickey Burke; Davy Dalton, Donal Keogan, Bryan Menton; Harry Rooney, Adam Flanagan; Graham Reilly, Padraic Harnan, Andrew Tormey; Damien Carroll, Stephen Bray, Michael Newman.

Carroll in for Joey Wallace is the only change. Need a better performance from dead balls from Mickey and Paddy if we're going to win this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Carroll in for Joey Wallace is the only change.

That will make a few around here happy

iDave wrote: »
    That will make a few around here happy
    Dunno. Carroll was atrocious when he came on against Galway. He reminded me of Bambi on ice at times with the ball.

Looking like it's going to be a windy day on Sunday and with all the rain that's likely to fall on Saturday, it's going to make for poor conditions. Something we rarely seem to do well in.

Has anyone here spotted the retro 88 jersey on their travels lately? retrogaa is gone by the way side, the gaa store is a mess to look at and o'neills havent got it!!

Meath minors beat Tipp 1-9 to 8 points in the MFL to go through to the semi final in two weeks time.

As far as I can see, we play "Áth Cliath" in that semi final who won their group easily. I say Áth Cliath because Dublin came second in their group to Kildare. Can someone enlighten me on that? Do Dublin have two minor teams in the Leinster MFL?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

Snowing heavy in Roscommon right now

• Advertisement

Keeping an eye on twitter. Half expecting it to be called off. Rotten conditions.

Advertisement