Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

Do not agree with that.

1) The juniors this year could not win the Leinster championship. The best player's on the team were over 23.If we couldn't win with them, how could we win without them?

2) Why alienate two-thirds of club players? We want to include everyone. Age should not be a barrier to a player getting picked for a county team.

3) Granted there are exceptions to everything but if a player is not good enough to come straight into the senior squad after u21, then I doubt he's going to improve that much in the 2 years playing junior county football.

4) Look at the team for last year's game against Wicklow and then the one that played Longford. 5 players left on J1's including 4 u23's at the time. That tells how seriously an u23 would take this team.

The junior squad has not been looked after properly in a long time. It's typically thrown together at the last minute. Fix that first instead of trying to create another age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

As an inter county team, I've never bought the idea of the juniors. I dont know anyone who cares whether they win or lose either. The concept of having a reserve inter county team so the weaker players can take part seems ridiculous to me and I'm not surprised many counties don't bother taking part. Inter county should be elite at each grade, not a B grade for the players beneath.

If it were an U23 squad then I can see a point. You'd be giving up on any chance of ever winning the thing (not that we have a good record in it anyway), but the real development would be done in the gym, in on the field in Dunganny training for the team.

Would players take it seriously though? Inevitably it would clash with club commitments, and no manager I've ever had would have taken the county junior team as an acceptable excuse to miss club activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Do not agree with that.

1) The juniors this year could not win the Leinster championship. The best player's on the team were over 23.If we couldn't win with them, how could we win without them?

2) Why alienate two-thirds of club players? We want to include everyone. Age should not be a barrier to a player getting picked for a county team.

3) Granted there are exceptions to everything but if a player is not good enough to come straight into the senior squad after u21, then I doubt he's going to improve that much in the 2 years playing junior county football.

4) Look at the team for last year's game against Wicklow and then the one that played Longford. 5 players left on J1's including 4 u23's at the time. That tells how seriously an u23 would take this team.

The junior squad has not been looked after properly in a long time. It's typically thrown together at the last minute. Fix that first instead of trying to create another age group.

I agree with this. By implication of this demarkation then anyone over 23 should forget about playing senior for the county as, they are saying that it's under 23s that they are looking at.

I don't want to name names but there are a few over 23s in the county (1 or two on this years juniors) that I would have in a heartbeat on the county senior team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

dixiefly wrote: »
    I agree with this. By implication of this demarkation then anyone over 23 should forget about playing senior for the county as, they are saying that it's under 23s that they are looking at.

I don't want to name names but there are a few over 23s in the county (1 or two on this years juniors) that I would have in a heartbeat on the county senior team.

Why wouldn't you want to name names when you're talking about them in a positive manner?

Felexicon wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you want to name names when you're talking about them in a positive manner?

ok, 2 off this years Juniors. Chris O' Connor (Ballinabrackey) and Alan Douglas (Trim).

• Advertisement

Interesting thread relating to a Meath football legend (and well known surgeon) who seemingly stated at the Retention Committee meeting last week that all hurleys in Meath should be burned.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057485607

The guy is a real legend in my mind, fantastic footballer, leader and even operated on me at one stage.

But if this is true it is an idiotic statement, totally out of place in the meeting and only does to cause division in the county and nothing toward solving the problem the committee was set up to solve.

Maybe it was a slip of the tongue and he didn't mean to say what he was thinking. But he is a very clever and experienced man and I somehow doubt that it was a slip of the tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

ok, 2 off this years Juniors. Chris O' Connor (Ballinabrackey) and Alan Douglas (Trim).

Chris o'connor has had his chance with meath he must be nearing 30 now. Douglas is more interested in hurling and failed to impress when micko called him up last year before the league started. If you look at the game yesterday we are miles behind sadly.

risteard7 wrote: »
    Chris o'connor has had his chance with meath he must be nearing 30 now. Douglas is more interested in hurling and failed to impress when micko called him up last year before the league started. If you look at the game yesterday we are miles behind sadly.

Chris O'Connor is 28 I think. Douglas only played one game under Micko, as a sub in a pre league game. Not sure about him preferring hurling. Both still worth a shot imho. Point I was making is that there are players over 23 that should not be forgotten about because of age which is implied by the recommendation.

But I agree, we are well behind the top 3 or 4 teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Chris O'Connor is 28 I think. Douglas only played one game under Micko, as a sub in a pre league game. Not sure about him preferring hurling. Both still worth a shot imho. Point I was making is that there are players over 23 that should not be forgotten about because of age which is implied by the recommendation.

But I agree, we are well behind the top 3 or 4 teams.

Yea the u23 rocommendation is nonsensical. Yea i agree any player who is commited is worth a try. I think the two new selectors will be
    crucial.

We have good players no doubt about it. We need good tactical management that have a game plan and can make quick decisions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Would hope that McEntee made that comment in jest and it's been taken as serious. Hope he wasn't serious, especially as our hurling teams have outperformed our footballers.

Personally I think restricting the Junior side to mostly U23s isn't a bad idea. It would give players who may not be quite at senior level but too old for U21s consistent county training giving them more chance to make the step up to the senior panel. Though a bit of experience in the form of a few older players wouldn't go amiss as well.

• Advertisement

Curraha through to the JFC semis after beating O'Mahonys' second team 3-12 to 2-7.

Dunshaughlin came back from 9 points down against Skryne with 25 minutes gone to win by 2.
    Na Fianna shocked Donaghmore/Ashbourne (who must be one of the biggest underachievers in Meath Football) by easily winning by 7 points.
    Kells continued they're fantastic second year in the SFC by beating Wolfe Tones by a single point to make the semi final.
    St. Pat's need to beat Walterstown to stay in the SFC after losing to Rathkenny by 5.

Ratoath easily gained revenge for last year's IFC semi final defeat to Ballinabrackey in winning by 14 points. They'll play St. Colmcille's in the semi final after they beat Michael's by 10 points. Nobber play the winners of Trim/Kilmainham in the other semi.
    Clann na nGael look in deep trouble after being hammered by Ultan's in the IFC relegation playoff. They need a big improvement against Drumbaragh to avoid the drop to JFC.

In the JFC, at least three semi finalists will be first teams with Curraha, Bective and Carnaross beating O'Mahony's, Dunboyne's and Summerhill's second teams respectively. Dunsany will face Simonstown in the last quarter final after beating Moylagh.

Results so far this weekend
    SFC Preliminary QF
    Dunshaughlin 3-14 Skryne 3-12

SFC Quarter Finals
    Na Fianna 1-15 Donaghmore/Ashbourne 0-11
    Gaeil Colmcille 2-7 Wolfe Tones 0-12

SFC Relegation Playoff
    Rathkenny 1-15 St. Patrick's 2-7

IFC Quarter Finals
    St. Colmcille's 0-19 St. Michael's 0-9
    Ratoath 4-10 Ballinabrackey 0-8
    Nobber 2-18 Castletown 2-9

IFC Relegation Playoff
    St. Ultans 2-17 Clann na nGael 0-6

JFC Premliminary QF
    Dunsany 2-12 Moylagh 0-8

JFC Quarter Final
    Curraha 3-13 Navan O'Mahony's 2-6
    Bective 1-9 St. Peter's Dunboyne 0-10
    Carnaross 2-11 Summerhill 0-9

JFC Relegation Playoff
    St. Brigid's 5-13 Clonard 1-15

JCFC Final
    St. Peter's Dunboyne 1-14 Rathkenny 0-5

JDFC Final
    Seneschalstown 3-11 Curraha 2-10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Dunshaughlin came back from 9 points down against Skryne with 25 minutes gone to win by 2.
    Na Fianna shocked Donaghmore/Ashbourne (who must be one of the biggest underachievers in Meath Football) by easily winning by 7 points.
    Kells continued they're fantastic second year in the SFC by beating Wolfe Tones by a single point to make the semi final.
    St. Pat's need to beat Walterstown to stay in the SFC after losing to Rathkenny by 5.

Ratoath easily gained revenge for last year's IFC semi final defeat to Ballinabrackey in winning by 14 points. They'll play St. Colmcille's in the semi final after they beat Michael's by 10 points. Nobber play the winners of Trim/Kilmainham in the other semi.
    Clann na nGael look in deep trouble after being hammered by Ultan's in the IFC relegation playoff. They need a big improvement against Drumbaragh to avoid the drop to JFC.

In the JFC, at least three semi finalists will be first teams with Curraha, Bective and Carnaross beating O'Mahony's, Dunboyne's and Summerhill's second teams respectively. Dunsany will face Simonstown in the last quarter final after beating Moylagh.

Results so far this weekend
    SFC Preliminary QF
    Dunshaughlin 3-14 Skryne 3-12

SFC Quarter Finals
    Na Fianna 1-15 Donaghmore/Ashbourne 0-11
    Gaeil Colmcille 2-7 Wolfe Tones 0-12

SFC Relegation Playoff
    Rathkenny 1-15 St. Patrick's 2-7

IFC Quarter Finals
    St. Colmcille's 0-19 St. Michael's 0-9
    Ratoath 4-10 Ballinabrackey 0-8
    Nobber 2-18 Castletown 2-9

IFC Relegation Playoff
    St. Ultans 2-17 Clann na nGael 0-6

JFC Premliminary QF
    Dunsany 2-12 Moylagh 0-8

JFC Quarter Final
    Curraha 3-13 Navan O'Mahony's 2-6
    Bective 1-9 St. Peter's Dunboyne 0-10
    Carnaross 2-11 Summerhill 0-9

JFC Relegation Playoff
    St. Brigid's 5-13 Clonard 1-15

JCFC Final
    St. Peter's Dunboyne 1-14 Rathkenny 0-5

JDFC Final
    Seneschalstown 3-11 Curraha 2-10

Nice summary, as to the Pats well we launched the manager after the Ashbourne match but I honestly think it's too late, you can't buy momentum now at this stage of the championship anyway. I thin it was justified launching the manager, he was another one who was spoofing his way to a nice sum of money, club football is littered with them but that's probably for another thread.

Savage result for Gael Colmcille, again proving what momentum can do for you.

Can't see ye not beating Walterstown to be honest.

NOM beat Summerhill easily to make the SFC Semi Finals. Conor Gillespie returned (albeit heavily bandaged) for Summerhill.
    Trim will play Nobber in the other IFC semi final after beating Kilmainham.

Declan McCabe and Brendan Murphy are the new selectors. I dont know much about Murphy's record as a selector but he has been around the block in both GAA and soccer and Declan McCabe did a very good job with Summerhill.

I wish them and Mick O'Dowd the best of luck. We really need to have a good league performance and to be pushing for promotion from a tough division 2.

David Coldrick will referee the All Ireland Senior final while David Gough will referee the minor final.
    Annoys me that we can never be refereed by two of the best referees in Ireland :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

David Coldrick will referee the All Ireland Senior final while David Gough will referee the minor final.
    Annoys me that we can never be refereed by two of the best referees in Ireland :pac:

Gough has had a particularly good year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

I've actually been quite impressed with all the latest developments in Meath football - from the football steering group and all the good work that Seamus Kenny and co. are doing and now the more I look at the recent appointments to the backroom team I feel increasingly satisfied. Declan McCabe's Summerhill were very impressive winning the Keegan cup a few years back, consistent, good second half performers and Murphy's lived the life of a professional sportsman and the attitude required. The way the game has gone now, that's important.

Despite all the criticism here, I feel the county board have performed well. They're acting sensibly, look at where Dublin and Kerry are. Even Mayo, with all their talent can't bridge that gap. We haven't been a Division 1 team in the modern era, we have to remodel ourselves so the policy makes sense.

HighKing33 wrote: »
    I've actually been quite impressed with all the latest developments in Meath football - from the football steering group and all the good work that Seamus Kenny and co. are doing and now the more I look at the recent appointments to the backroom team I feel increasingly satisfied. Declan McCabe's Summerhill were very impressive winning the Keegan cup a few years back, consistent, good second half performers and Murphy's lived the life of a professional sportsman and the attitude required. The way the game has gone now, that's important.

Despite all the criticism here, I feel the county board have performed well. They're acting sensibly, look at where Dublin and Kerry are. Even Mayo, with all their talent can't bridge that gap. We haven't been a Division 1 team in the modern era, we have to remodel ourselves so the policy makes sense.

To be fair to them they have a massive bloody mess to clean up from years of inaction, it wont happen all in one year. Once the momentum can be kept up thats a start.

• Advertisement

Meath team for tomorrow's All Ireland U21B final against Wicklow has been named.
    Charlie Bird Boardsmill, David Conneely Kildalkey, Luke Rickard Kildalkey, Colm McGrath Trim, Conor O'Shea Dunderry, Sean McGrath Dunboyne, Eamon Ryan Kiltale, Luke Martyn Dunderry, Stefan Kelly Killyon, Jack Fagan Rathmolyon, Jack Regan Kiltale, James Andrews (Capt.) Trim, Gavin McGowan Ratoath, Fergal Flattery Boardsmill, Sean Quigley Dunboyne

Throw in is at 5:15pm in Thurles.
    The game is live on TG4.
    Best of luck to the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Anyone else heading down to Thurles? Should be a good evening's hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭paul71

Anyone else heading down to Thurles? Should be a good evening's hurling.

An All_Irelandb U21 hurling final between Wicklow and Meath held in Thurles, where is the sense in that? Not as if the Meath County board actually need help from the central council in trying to apply the death-song to hurling in Meath. It should be in Newbridge or Parnell Park to suit supporters from both counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

paul71 wrote: »
    An All_Irelandb U21 hurling final between Wicklow and Meath held in Thurles, where is the sense in that? Not as if the Meath County board actually need help from the central council in trying to apply the death-song to hurling in Meath. It should be in Newbridge or Parnell Park to suit supporters from both counties.

It's probably there to make it a double header between the main U-21 final between Limerick and Wexford, for which Thurles is a sensible venue.

paul71 wrote: »

I actually like the thought of putting them on the same stage as the main U21 final. The lads deserve a run out in the home of hurling for the work they put in. I honestly think having it nearer home wouldnt affect the attendance a whole lot.

Threw that away in the first 10 minutes of the second half. Still could have won it. Misssd some great goal chances.
    Seems to be constant disappointment as a Meath fan nowadays.

Dunboyne through to the SFC semi finals after beating Dunshaughlin 1-14 to 0-13.

St. Pats beat Walterstown in their second SFC relegation playoff. As far as I can see, if Walterstown beat Rathkenny by more than three points, St. Pats are down. If they beat Rathkenny by more than six points, Rathkenny are down. Any other result and Walterstown are down. Think Rathkenny should do the business though.

St. Vincent's will play Seneschalstown in the Junior B final after narrowly beating Moynalty 0-15 to 2-8.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Hard luck to the hurlers. Were in it at half time and had enough goal chances to get back into it.
    Felt the ref could of let them have one more attack instead of blowing up when he did.

Clann na nGael unsurprisingly relegated to JFC after being easily beaten by Drumbaragh in their second relegation playoff.

There's four first teams in the JFC semi finals for the first time in a few years after Dunsany beat Simonstown in the last quarter final.
    JFC semi finals are:
    Curraha v Bective
    Carnaross v Dunsany

• Advertisement

Provisional NFL Fixtures for 2016

30/1 - Armagh H
    7/2 - Fermanagh A
    28/2 - Cavan H
    6/3 - Galway A
    13/3 - Tyrone H
    27/3 - Derry A
    2/4 - Laois A

3 home and 4 away so promotion is going to have to be done the hard way.

Advertisement