Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wingsuit Flying - Anyone interested?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 stoneruile

I was searching for wingsuit Ireland and found this thread.

I went to spain in 2009 with a friend to complete my AFF. Having never skydived before it was something that terrified me. That was why I went. To concur my fear. I though that once I got the first jump done I would absolutely love it. I got the first jump done after being grey in the face and sweating all the way up in the plane. I was certain I would die.

I got out of the door and loved it. I went up three times that day. On day two I had a bad level 4. Not really terrible but my body position made me unstable and I needed to redo the level. Something in my brain went and the fear set in. I did no more jumps. I came home without the AFF. It was gutting for me. I was extremely disappointed in myself.

However, since then I could not stop thinking about skydiving / wing suiting. Literally every day I think about it and watch youtube videos. Last year work were organizing tandems for charity and I went down and did one. I have the bug again and plan on doing my AFF this year. Not out of fear but because I know that skydiving is something that I need to get into or I will regret it. My circumstances have changed. Kids, job etc. but I will be doing it this year.

I would be interested in going down with you man. It would be good to have a couple of people to do the course with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Dont be in such a rush to get a wingsuit on. Rushing as fast as you can to get to 150 or 200 jumps so you can do a singsuit jump is such a waste of 150 jumps.

Jump as much as you can, jump with people who are better then you as much as you can and keep your mouth shut and listen. Forget about exactly how many jumps you are on and one day you will be filling in your log book and you will notice you will have hit your target and can do a wingsuit jump that day or the next. you will be a much better all round skydiver and less likely to kill yourself on any type of jump not to mind a wingsuit jump.

When I started all I wanted to do was wingsuit as well, all the videos I watched were wingsuit videos and I thought it was the coolist **** ever. 1000 jumps and a few ratings later and I still havnt done more than 1 wingsuit jump because everything else is so much fun, so much harder and so much more exciting. I am sure I will do more wingsuits in the future and probably own my own but there is so much fun to be had without one.

Dont pidgeon hole yourself so early. Find out if your a skydiver first, then get some experience and learn to fly your body do some hop and pops and learn to fly your canopy. You will be far far better off in the long run

edited to add some videos of people showing what you can do when you dont limit yourself to wingsuiting from the start.

http://vimeo.com/47990336

http://vimeo.com/50068318

http://vimeo.com/31140586

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfTex1HCib4

and also any video by jokke sommer with dreamlines in the name is worth checking out

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

stoneruile wrote: »
    I was searching for wingsuit Ireland and found this thread.

I went to spain in 2009 with a friend to complete my AFF. Having never skydived before it was something that terrified me. That was why I went. To concur my fear. I though that once I got the first jump done I would absolutely love it. I got the first jump done after being grey in the face and sweating all the way up in the plane. I was certain I would die.

I got out of the door and loved it. I went up three times that day. On day two I had a bad level 4. Not really terrible but my body position made me unstable and I needed to redo the level. Something in my brain went and the fear set in. I did no more jumps. I came home without the AFF. It was gutting for me. I was extremely disappointed in myself.

However, since then I could not stop thinking about skydiving / wing suiting. Literally every day I think about it and watch youtube videos. Last year work were organizing tandems for charity and I went down and did one. I have the bug again and plan on doing my AFF this year. Not out of fear but because I know that skydiving is something that I need to get into or I will regret it. My circumstances have changed. Kids, job etc. but I will be doing it this year.

I would be interested in going down with you man. It would be good to have a couple of people to do the course with.

You should definitly give it another go man. I was in a similar position. I failed L3 twice and stopped jumping for a while.

About 9 months later, I decided to give it another go (as much cos I hate giving up as anything else).

I did some wind tunnel and went to Spain to finish the AFF. Flew through the rest of the AFF. The tunnel is a great tool for jumpers of all experiences. Instructors from the IPC run regular tunnel camps over in England. Check out the IPC facebook page as well as the 'Project 4way' facebook page. Five Irish teams will be competing in the largest indoor comp in the world this weekend.

If you fancy a return to Spain, Empuria Brava now have a wind tunnel on site so you can do time in the morning and jump in the afternoon. What more could ya want :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 justin_lucas

When you say "get into" do you mean just trying it out.. or to actually learn to jump on your own?

If you just want to give it a go, try a tandem jump. They are easily organised can be done through a charity.

If you want to learn now to jump your self. It would cost about €1100 (discounts available if you book the whole course) and then a little more to have a licence.

Check out http://www.skydive.ie/packages/learn-to-skydive/accelerated-free-fall-aff/ for more information, other courses are available in different places though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement