Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help buying a Jack Russell

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Jack Russell's are little assholes IMO.

Hyper active vexations to the spirit. We were unnfortunate enough to have one as kids. Total fool it was.

Pick any other breed IMHO.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

uberalles wrote: »
    Man walking down the road with two dogs under his arms.

Woman asks - are they jack Russell's ?

Man says - no they are mine!

Mod Post:
    There is a humour forum here

Non-Mod Post:
    I think you have to actually be funny though . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

uberalles wrote: »
    Jack Russell's are little assholes IMO.

Hyper active vexations to the spirit. We were unnfortunate enough to have one as kids. Total fool it was.

Pick any other breed IMHO.
    So your family had ONE of this breed and you think they are all bad.

It was up the your parents to train and exercise the dog and I think it was their fault it didn't go well.

Going by your post.......they did the same with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

Have to say my experience with JRTs would mean I wouldn't suggest them for small children either. I've found they don't have a lot of patience with small children poking and pulling, and of course every child and dog need to be supervised permenantly but I've a mix of breeds here and the other breeds are far far more tolerant of my toddler than either of my 2 JRTs

Sorry OP, I have to agree, my JRT is not good with kids, I don't know why, she came from a house of kids(although a pup and too young to remember) but she throws sly looks at any kid visitors to my house and doesn't have patience with them. My JRT is the only one of mine to bite hubbie and me, my other breeds are RBs. My sister had to rehome one of her terriers.

Most terriers are hunter/scavenger types and strongwilled, mine is happiest when digging in a bale of straw in the shed or chasing a mouse, they are also not as easy to train, or so I've been told. My one is brazen anyway.:rolleyes:
    My other dogs are fine with kids but too big to mix with the little kids.
    Just trying to be helpful, not put you off;)

If your hearts set on one, go for it, the more info you're armed with the better though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

id just like to point out that jrt's are the greatest dogs ever :)

and lots of the sites listing themselves as official clubs are in fact puppy farms.. and yet those on here think its ok because they 'take care of' their dogs ...

no different to buying one from the back of a van at a country fair,or donedeal.. ive been to 3 different ones in galway alone when i was looking for quality jrt's year or 2 ago..

my advice is read up on the breed, and as said above,see it home,its parents,its brothers and sisters condition,and trust your gut.. not your puppy eyes

id also advise against two at the same time,space them a year apart with the female first..great with kids,great watchdogs,fearless,great as vermin deterrent..

can be narky if not handled right from puppyhood.. they are terriers after all

enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

I got my last dog off of DD, I rang four places before I even spoke to someone I wanted to visit.

The guy I bought from still rings me, we are in regular contact and as the pup had an eye problem that needed vet attention the breeder paid for everything. As the pup was a little lower weight we left him with the mother longer and the breeder paid for all his vaccines. If he needs another op that's covered to and he'll get nuetered then as well.
    He also checked out with the IKC, if there was any more litters than what was registered, I'II never know(2 including mine) but the mother was very healthy and well looked after.

Not all DDlers are demons, but I found the sticky here great and did use it as a checklist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Just to throw in my two pence on terriers, I'v a cairn terrier cross and he's the most lovable dog, never shown a nasty streak towards people whatsoever but one of the most stubborn and headstrong dogs I'v ever met to train. The very little experience he has of children he was quite good and I would imagine he would be quite good with kids given more exposure. Without training though he would be a nightmare, have him trained to not snap food and toys out of people's hands and tried to train him not to jump up on people but that doesn't work too well when everyone encourages him to jump up. :rolleyes:

That said my general experience with terriers are they are short tempered and not very tolerable of messing around, and quick to tell you when they're pissed off, and as for training I think when you ask them to do something instead of the typical 'normal' dog response of 'oh yes master I'l do anything to please you', a terrier thinks 'hmmm what is the point of this command and what's in it for me, hmm ah yes a biscuit, hmm would I like this flavour of biscuit, ah feck it no I'm not going to sit down why doesn't the thick human sit down himself sure my arse will get cold'. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭kimberworth

I have a Parson's Jack Russell for the past 6 years. He's fantastic, intelligent, very easy to train, great guard dog around the house, great fun, great with kids just has to be reminded not to jump up! There are lots of Jack Russell Terriers looking for homes. If you contact the rescue organisations where dogs live with foster families you'll be able to find out about their personalities etc. Have a look at www.irishanimals.ie, click on "homes needed" then on "terriers". <snip>. These are the ones I'm familiar with but there are lots of excellent rehoming organisations out there. Usually the dogs have been taken from 'death row' in dog pounds so not only would you be saving a life you could be confident that you weren't putting money directly into the pocket of a puppy farmer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

JRT's can make great family pets, I personally would skip the puppy stage and get an older dog as a nippy puppy and a toddler don't mix well imho. 2 pups at a time is not a good idea, anyone who has recently gone through the puppy stage will tell you that!, also you want your dog to bond with you and your family not be stuck on it's sibling that it has been with since birth. If you want two I think it would be a better idea to get one now, then when that one is a little older, around a year maybe and trained how you want it, then get the second.

As for where to get them, there is always Donedeal, and yes it is filled with Back Yard Breeders and even worse puppy farms but there are also some legit breeders who really care for their animals and are just looking for suitable homes. Weeding them out can be a problem though, especially with JRT's or Miniature JRT's as they are the breed of choice these days for those wanting to make a quick buck, they are cheap and easy to get, the puppies are cute and easy to sell.

The other option is of course rescue, if you go onto irishanimals.ie you can look through their pages, I personally know of a rescue that has 3 JRT pups for homing at the moment. Not all rescues will have the same restrictions, most like however to have someone who is at home most of the time when they are re-homing puppies. Puppies get bored and lonely at home, this can lead to destruction and then the puppy gets landed back at the rescue because the owner is upset. They need company when they are younger and that is why they ask that there be someone at home at least most of the time. A dog who was left alone a lot as a puppy can also end up with separation anxiety, which can mean that not only are they landed back at the rescue but it can lead to them being brought back again and again due to the fact that they can't be left alone at home without destructive behaviour being an issue. I suppose long story short the rescue is looking out for the puppies best interest.

As someone who volunteers with rescues I can tell you that JRT's are by far one of the most common breeds that come in, this includes puppies. Because everyone thinks there is a quick buck to be had they must be the most common litters in Ireland. I personally know a number of people who do it, the last JRT that I know had a litter of 7, 3 were sold and then 4 were sold as a job lot to a man because they couldn't get rid of them. God only knows what happened to those poor pups. JRT pups are in rescues all over Ireland, so maybe think about rescuing before deciding to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

I have a Female Jack Russell & she is the funniest little character.This is my first time owning a terrier as I have always had big dogs,but this dog nearly talks to me if she wants something.They are hyper & if you miss out on a walk my dog nearly bounces off the walls.She gets one hr on lead & 1 hr running after a ball or through fields every day,even after this sometimes she is still full of energy.My dog has great recall & always checks to make sure I am still closeby,even though most things I have read about JRTs is that they can't be trusted off lead.They also love to bounce up and down in front of you,I am 5ft4 and she can jump to my height.I don't think they are very tolerant of kids as my dog has let a growl at my 6 yr old,when he was annoying her.I always have to watch her in that respect,whereas my German Shepherd would have more patience.I wouldn't get 2 pups together,definitely wait until one dog is older as they are a handful,but in saying that they are the most intelligent funny little dog that will make you laugh at their antics.Highly Recommend:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mick990

Hey everyone thank you for the great replies just to clarify something . The reason i want to get JR's is my mam has 2 (one pup) and my girlfriends mam has 1 (pup) they do our childminding for us so the little one has been around them since she was born and knows the breed . She has a fair idea now about rubbing them and playing with them and knows what she can get away with, she has very little fear of them now at this stage and has been nipped on her hands a few times .

I got a great email from Dudmiss putting me in contact with <snip> who had just received a litter of JRs they are going on 6 months and look lovely. I have spoken with <snip> a few times over the phone and got some great info . I had to fix a couple of holes in my fence and there is a home visit organised for Monday so with a bit of luck i can collect the dogs before the end of the week.

I have decided (all going well) to collect 2 pups from <snip> . I spoke with my parents and if worst comes to worst she has agreed to take one pup for a couple of months while we get organised.

Thanks everyone again for your replies I got great info and a lot to think about :)

Advertisement