Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign streets named after Irish people

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Skiup

Not people but Cromwell in Nz has most of its streets named after Irish counties. Ironic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭eire4

Skiup wrote: »
    Not people but Cromwell in Nz has most of its streets named after Irish counties. Ironic!

That is crazy. I wonder do the locals get the irony?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Dongan Hills is a neighbourhood in Staten Island named after Thomas Dongan. Born in Kildare in 1634, he was the 2nd Earl of Limerick and later governor of the Birtish province of New York

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Skiup

eire4 wrote: »
    Skiup wrote: »

That is crazy. I wonder do the locals get the irony?

I doubt it, its just a tourism and fruit farm town now. Originally a gold mining town basically founded by Irish emigrants. I'm fairly sure it was then called Cromwell to p**s them off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

The neighbourhood and train station of Coghlan in Buenos Aires, named after Kerryman John Coghlan who helped build the Argentine Railway system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Coghlan_(engineer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Gandhi wrote: »
    I pass through Upper Dublin, Pennsylvania, on the way to work every day.

Good list here. Pennsylvania and Michigan seem to have an awful lot of Irish county names.

I can tell you that Dublin, GA is absolutely nothing like Dublin, Ireland. They have a large parade every year sometime in March. Mexican independence or something. Lots of green.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Just north of the stade de France (beside the metro for the soccer/rugby fans)

Rue Bobby Sands, 93200 Saint-Denis, France

• Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

pawrick wrote: »
    O'Reilly Street, Havana, Cuba

link to someones elses flicker with a pic of a plaque and further info

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevp/344526811/

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/6394465.jpg

Enjoyed a few beers in a pub on that street. Nice.

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Good list here. Pennsylvania and Michigan seem to have an awful lot of Irish county names.

I can tell you that Dublin, GA is absolutely nothing like Dublin, Ireland. They have a large parade every year sometime in March. Mexican independence or something. Lots of green.

That list is interesting. My favourite one was that there is an island called New Ireland in the pacific with a population of about 120,000

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

There's a Calle O'Donnell (and metro station) in Madrid. I think he was a Spanish statesman with Irish descendants...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopoldo_O'Donnell,_1st_Duke_of_Tetuan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

I'd like to point out that la rue Rory Gallagher mentioned above is not in Paris but in Ris Orangis, which is quite a way out south from Paris - I live in the same département - 91 l'Essonne. I have a slight suspicion that it's something to do with the MJC (I used to work in one) - the local youth and community centre that has built up a reputation over the years for promoting traditional music, though sadly their annual festival is no more - one year I saw the Boys of the Lough there. And yes in Paris there's Général MacMahon who was also Président and there's Ranelagh in the 16th. You might even manage to queeze in somebody called de Gaulle and we mustn't forget la rue des Irlandais where you find the former Collège des Irlandais which is now le Centre Culturel irlandais.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Eazos1 wrote: »
    Also Bernardo O'Higgins (son of a Sligoman). Chilean independence leader and one of the founding fathers.
    Main street in the Chilean capital Santiago is Avenida Libertador General Bernardo O'Higgins. There is also a Chilean research centre in Antartica named after him.

I was in Chile. Believe me everything is called O'Higgins even a football team!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

eire4 wrote: »
    That list is interesting. My favourite one was that there is an island called New Ireland in the pacific with a population of about 120,000

Its beside New Britain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Annuv

Two Irish men with streets named after them in Sofia, Bulgaria

Pierce Charles de Lacy O'Mahony
    James David Bourchier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

The commune of Saint-Denis has a long tradition of left wing politics and of electing communist politicians. This road has been the scene of official commemorations of the death of Bobby Sands.
    http://eireann32.discutforum.com/t163-rassemblement-bobby-sands-a-paris

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BFDCH.

greendom wrote: »
    There's a Calle O'Donnell (and metro station) in Madrid. I think he was a Spanish statesman with Irish descendants...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopoldo_O'Donnell,_1st_Duke_of_Tetuan

also in seville....there's no pubs/bars/tapas places on it though.

On a slightly different theme we have the amazing case of a certain William Brown from Mayo. He has over 1,200 streets named after him and 4 pro soccer teams named after him in Argentina. He was the founder of the Argentine navy and obviously is pretty popular in Argentina!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I know this is really pushing it but here...

Baltimore;
    The city is named after Lord Baltimore, a member of the Irish House of Lords and the founding proprietor of the Maryland Colony. Baltimore is an anglicization of the Irish Gaelic name Baile an Tí Mhóir, meaning "town of the big house", from which Baltimore, County Cork derives its name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Samual Cocking Botanical Garden on Enoshima Island Japan.

http://japantourist.jp
    After Japan opened her doors to the world in 1854, people with great ambition landed in Yokohama. Samuel Cocking, who came to Japan from his native Ireland in 1869 at the age of 28, was one of them. But different from other outsiders, he first headed to Ishinomaki, Miyagi, where foreigners were well treated. At that time, exclusionists still existed here and there in Yokohama and more than a few violent incidents against “the hated foreigners” occurred. Cocking wanted to avoid these dangers. In Ishinomaki, he established good relationships with former daimyos and he developed an eye for curios. He then succeeded as a curio dealer between the United Kingdom and Japan, making full use of his fine knowledge of antiques. In 1870, with a strategy in place for his safety, he targeted business success in Yokohama and moved into the foreign settlement there. In 1872, Cocking married a Japanese woman, Riki Miyata, when he was 31. His business had been doing well and he made an enormous fortune. He knew Enoshima was a beautiful spot that could be turned into a huge garden, and he long had a desire for purchasing land there. Finally, in his wife’s name, his long-cherished hope was attained in 1880. He lived and worked in Yokohama and spent his spare time in Enoshima, where he built a villa and then constructed three ponds, a flower garden, and greenhouse with a steam heating system. Later in life, misfortune suddenly struck him. The British bank he dealt with went bankrupt. He had to reduce his business and then he retired. He died in 1914 of a heart attack. Riki took care of Cocking until the very end of his life and he was buried in Riki’s family grave in Yokohama.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Meagher County in Montana is named after Thomas Francis Meagher

Favourite son of Waterford and second governor of Montana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Hogans place in Dublin city was named after Paul Hogan from the Crocodile Dundee movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

There's a Connollystrasse in the Olympic Village apartment district of Munich.

I've heard disparately that it was named after an American hammer thrower and an Irish labourer who was killed during the construction of the Olympic complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shansf

There is a Gerry Adams Way in Oakland, Ca - named after .... you guessed it the man himself - not exactly in the best part of town either :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

shansf wrote: »
    There is a Gerry Adams Way in Oakland, Ca - named after .... you guessed it the man himself - not exactly in the best part of town either :cool:

Oakland, CA has a "best part of town"? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shansf

Oakland, CA has a "best part of town"? :eek:

More than one good area in fact!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

There is a Boulevard Bobby Sands in Le Mans, France.

Advertisement