Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy a gaming PC or wait for Next Gen consoles?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=50575&agid=631&apop=1

This case, that you PC forum guys recommended, is perfect at €30.
    My case is not visible really, as I knew it would not be, has tonnes of room inside and a great airflow.

There are sooo many cases in the market and you can buy a very good case for 30-50eu.
    There are shot too, but it's like any product in any market - there are shot products and there are good.
    People give way too much praise to a thing like case. Even a cardboard box or even a plank of wood can do the function of the case. I personally find spending 200eu on case and utter idiocy. Even my 100eu case is a total overkill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

considering myself to get a gaming pc ...time to save :P

is it worth the investment ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

As a lifelong console gamer who recently bought a gaming PC; graphically speaking the PC version is definitely better looking in every way. And mods are the business! But the main point against it is what are it's exclusives? Like i'm done buying multi platform games on consoles in favour of PC (providing there's controller support) but what can PCs offer when stuff like Uncharted or Gears etc is just unavailable?

jaykhunter wrote: »
    As a lifelong console gamer who recently bought a gaming PC; graphically speaking the PC version is definitely better looking in every way. And mods are the business! But the main point against it is what are it's exclusives? Like i'm done buying multi platform games on consoles in favour of PC (providing there's controller support) but what can PCs offer when stuff like Uncharted or Gears etc is just unavailable?

civilisation series
    diablo series
    heroes series
    Stalker series
    settlers series.
    total war series
    starcraft series
    Warhammer series
    tribes 2
    huge list of mmorpg
    League of legends
    ARMA series
    Serious Sam series
    Minecraft
    witcher series

then ofc all of the PC games that are on consoles, but are way supperior and more popular versions:

L4D 1/2
    BF3 ( i dont thing i need even comment on this one )
    TF2
    Skyrim

lists go on and go on, and thats just from the top of my head. there are so many unique games on PC, which stand for years and where games like uncharted and gears are like a big summer movie ( i love uncharted thought, no offence lads )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Stalker series!
    shadow of chernobyl and call of pripyat
    buy game, install "complete mod". play one of the finest fps rpg blends in history

• Advertisement

civilisation series
    diablo series
    heroes series
    Stalker series
    settlers series.
    total war series
    starcraft series
    Warhammer series
    tribes 2
    huge list of mmorpg
    League of legends
    ARMA series
    Serious Sam series
    Minecraft
    witcher series

then ofc all of the PC games that are on consoles, but are way supperior and more popular versions:

L4D 1/2
    BF3 ( i dont thing i need even comment on this one )
    TF2
    Skyrim

lists go on and go on, and thats just from the top of my head. there are so many unique games on PC, which stand for years and where games like uncharted and gears are like a big summer movie ( i love uncharted thought, no offence lads )

dam you dude you are really bout to make me becoming a pc gamer , would 800 euros get me a good pc gaming that can play all games you mentioned above with no problems ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

dam you dude you are really bout to make me becoming a pc gamer , would 800 euros get me a good pc gaming that can play all games you mentioned above with no problems ?

Short answer, yes. Head over to the PC Building and Upgrading forum - those lads know their **** and will rustle you up a good -> very good machine for that kinda money.

800eu will take any of those games m8. it depends even more if you need windows and monitor. even if you do need bouth you can make a pc which will play any of those games perfecty. keep in mind you can use your TV for some time too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Easily. I'm playing Battlefield 3 on ultra @ 1080p with a €600 pc.

800eu will take any of those games m8. it depends even more if you need windows and monitor. even if you do need bouth you can make a pc which will play any of those games perfecty. keep in mind you can use your TV for some time too.

Is monitor needed ? I much rather use my hdtv in my room , also anyway if i get it custom made could i make the pc wifi cause i have no internet connection upstairs at all

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

tv is fine for a pc monitor so long as you use hdmi and it can do a high enough resolution
    it can make space an issue, as you need a desk for your kb/mouse and it has to be far enough away from the tv that you're not twisting your neck back and forth every 2 seconds to see what's happening on the edges of the picture

Is monitor needed ? I much rather use my hdtv in my room , also anyway if i get it custom made could i make the pc wifi cause i have no internet connection upstairs at all

if you use your TV as monitor, then its even better. it means around 100-150euof your budget can go to beef up gpu.

you can buy wireless adapter for 10eu m8.

Fecking sweet great help lot ye have been so far, i am sick of the restrictions on the consoles as of late and game prices are too high for my liking , just looking at steam alone prices are better pricing for my liking ... It be by june/july for me to get the money so i be sure to come back to any more questions along the way :) ...thanks again

Fecking sweet great help lot ye have been so far, i am sick of the restrictions on the consoles as of late and game prices are too high for my liking , just looking at steam alone prices are better pricing for my liking ... It be by june/july for me to get the money so i be sure to come back to any more questions along the way :) ...thanks again

come to "building PC" section m8 and one of us will give you a hand. we got a little form you fill in and then we build you a spec for your budget and needs. If you will have problem putting it together, then one of us can give ya a hand if we are in your area m8.

come to "building PC" section m8 and one of us will give you a hand. we got a little form you fill in and then we build you a spec for your budget and needs. If you will have problem putting it together, then one of us can give ya a hand if we are in your area m8.

Will be sure to do that ...thanks again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

jaykhunter wrote: »
    The PC easily has more exclusives than all of the other consoles combined. The barrier to entry for creating PC games is much much lower than that for a console, hence there are far far more games. The reason you don't hear about them as much is that because the barrier to entry/break even point is lower, they require a much lower budget, hence will have a much lower marketing budget too.

Aside from the games already listed above, start taking a look at the Indie games that are available on Steam.

There are also a lot of smaller Publishers that are PC only. Paradox is one of my favourites, they have a bunch of ridiculously complex strategy games as well as Magicka, Amnesia/Penumbria, Mount & Blade, King Arthur etc.

Also, don't forget that the PC is backwards compatible for pretty much all games for the past 20+ years. This also includes the ability to play the entire collection of games from pretty much all consoles (the one glaring exception is the xbox) up to the PS2.

Advertisement