Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Videogame Deathmatch

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Looks like Zelda and Mario are going the full twelve rounds!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Bit unfortunate they got paired together so soon. Along with Ico, those 3 are head and shoulders above everything else in that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

*Cough*

Boulder Dash

*Cough*

*gets coat*

• Registered Users Posts: 34,436 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Bit unfortunate they got paired together so soon. .

Ah it'll make for a more interesting result. I'm sick of Mario and Zelda coming top of these lists!
    Along with Ico, those 3 are head and shoulders above everything else in that list.

Now now, bit of rose tinted madness going on there. They're amazing games, but to say they're head and shoulders above games like Half Life and Earthbound is more personal taste than actual fact ;) Half Life has done as much for the medium of videogames as those three.
    Sparks43 wrote: »
    *Cough*

Boulder Dash

*Cough*

*gets coat*

I think the next word you're looking for is 'bye' :pac:

Double Dash is there or thereabouts despite my terrible write up.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah it'll make for a more interesting result. I'm sick of Mario and Zelda coming top of these lists!

Sick? Is that a bit of the green eyed monster that your personal favourites don't get the recognition you think they deserve? :P They come at or near the top of most lists for a reason though.
    Now now, bit of rose tinted madness going on there. They're amazing games, but to say they're head and shoulders above games like Half Life and Earthbound is more personal taste than actual fact ;) Half Life has done as much for the medium of videogames as those three.

Actually I haven't played Earthbound and so didn't vote in that match as it would've been unfair to vote against it for that reason. I'd tend to go by those top x lists to get an idea how good it is when I haven't played something.
    I didn't approach the voting thinking what has each game contributed to the medium though, when choosing "best game ever" type things I always think of the desert island scenario. From that list if I could only bring one game to play which would it be - one of the three I mentioned. Looking back I should have voted SMW rather than Zelda actually, it's more fun I think.

Nice to see the Deathmatch is serving its purpose :D

Bitching,denial,and watching people protect their favorite games like their own children :D

5 days left to vote guys then we are into the last 8 where the chit is going to hit the fan.

And btw to the 6 people who voted against Boulder Dash i tell you this....

I am not a violent man but when i find you i am going to rip off your arm and beat you to death with the wet end:pac:

And btw to the 6 people who voted against Boulder Dash i tell you this....

I am not a violent man but when i find you i am going to rip off your arm and beat you to death with the wet end:pac:

Hmmm, I wonder were some folks strategically voting against because they were scared of it going up against their own game in the next round?? :pac:

Hmmm, I wonder were some folks strategically voting against because they were scared of it going up against their own game in the next round?? :pac:

If I get through I'm scared of all the other titles. Can I be this competitions South Korea of the world cup 2002?

I see the competition was too much for Lasersquad: He closed his account. So that's a TKO in the first round.

Master of the Universe

Sick? Is that a bit of the green eyed monster that your personal favourites don't get the recognition you think they deserve? :P They come at or near the top of most lists for a reason though.

Problem with things like this is popularity and saturation come into it too.

Super Mario World and ALTTP are up there in my own personal favourites. They are amazing games which I will be playing for years to come. Many people also feel this way and it is part of the reason they top these lists.

But you also can't ignore that ALTTP and Super Mario World are two of the biggest games on one of the biggest consoles of all time - made by arguably the most popular games company of all time.

Therefore in something like this, popularity and distibution are also key.

Countless more people have played those two games than say, Earthbound - but that's to do with the game not being released in certain regions rather than the game not being any good.

Certain games are pushed more than others. Is ALTTP better than Panzer Dragoon Saga? Honestly, there's no answer to that one..but you know which would come out on top in a poll based purely on distribution levels.
    Actually I haven't played Earthbound and so didn't vote in that match as it would've been unfair to vote against it for that reason. I'd tend to go by those top x lists to get an idea how good it is when I haven't played something.
    I didn't approach the voting thinking what has each game contributed to the medium though, when choosing "best game ever" type things I always think of the desert island scenario. From that list if I could only bring one game to play which would it be - one of the three I mentioned. Looking back I should have voted SMW rather than Zelda actually, it's more fun I think.

Ah yeah I'd completely agree with you. BUT! The statement 'head and shoulders above the rest' to me says 'these games bring more to the medium of games than the others', which I don't think they do. Well maybe they do, but not head and shoulders more.

I've said head and shoulders too many times now. All I can think of is shampoo.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah I'd completely agree with you. BUT! The statement 'head and shoulders above the rest' to me says 'these games bring more to the medium of games than the others', which I don't think they do. Well maybe they do, but not head and shoulders more.

I've said head and shoulders too many times now. All I can think of is shampoo.

Yeah it was probably the wrong choice of words I used and I did think about popularity & availability too alright, if the majority of people haven't played a game then clearly it has no hope of topping popular lists. I know Earthbound has been praised by several folk and I'd take their word for it, but I'll still be surprised if the overall winner doesn't come from Ico, Zelda or SMW; and not because of their popularity/availability.

The winners

Ico
    Mario Kart Double Dash
    Super Marioworld
    Half Life
    Resident Evil
    Bubble Bobble
    Metal Slug
    Boulderdash

Zelda and Eartbound knocked out in first round. Very surprising but they failed to get the luck of the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Darius Burst is better than Half Life! Hmph! :mad:

bag_is_not_amused-89.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

You_e0a06d_2590915.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

God damn philistines voting against Earthbound despite not having played it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Go Ico!
    It is not a populist game either, it gained momentum over the years but I don't remember it lighting up the charts at launch.
    It, along with SOTC, was so "paced" that I'm sure your standard videogame player found it slow and lacking in things to make you go boom.
    Now, well, the journo's talk about it as one of those high water marks of 00's gaming, along with BG&E, HL and SOTC, as do folks like us, but the average Fifa/CoD player in the street wouldn't know what you are talking about.

Round 2 coming soon just been too busy over the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The polls are about as reliable as a russian election. Boulder Dash is better than LttP? Sure....:rolleyes::mad:

EnterNow wrote: »
    The polls are about as reliable as a russian election. Boulder Dash is better than LttP? Sure....:rolleyes::mad:

Its a Kind of Fa cup kind of system so 2 big teams/games can very easily meet early

But it makes no difference Boulder Dash is the best game ever ;)

But it makes no difference Boulder Dash is the best game ever ;)

I had a chuckle at you saying the same in that 8bit podcast. :pac: Great podcast though, brought back lots of fond memories.

Um we might need a recount this round (not for the Boulderdash match ofc), seems to be some dubious voting going on in Match 3. Not sure but maybe Metal Slug got a vote it shouldn't have. :p

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Not sure but maybe Metal Slug got a vote it shouldn't have. :p

People_Have_Spoken.jpg

zmcf1j.jpg

Advertisement