Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Immigration Advice

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

hdowney wrote: »
    So hopefully if you could prove (to the satisfaction of CIC) that you have the wherewithall to support said family member, including paying all medical expenses for the X number of years, there wouldn't be a problem

yeah i believe that to be the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tiger21

Hey guys.
    I was in canada for 2 yrs and came home this month after my 2nd yr visa expired. But now I really wish i hadn't come home and want to go back. Is there any way for me to get another visa or is canada finished for me now. I was supposed to be going back to college here this month but it didnt work ouut

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

So hopefully if you could prove (to the satisfaction of CIC) that you have the wherewithall to support said family member, including paying all medical expenses for the X number of years, there wouldn't be a problem

Well its only declined if they are going to cost the government over 60k over 10 years, so it would be a lot of money you would have to have to show you could cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

bstar wrote: »
    Well its only declined if they are going to cost the government over 60k over 10 years, so it would be a lot of money you would have to have to show you could cover it.

Ah here I don't think she'd cost that much!

Ah here I don't think she'd cost that much!

you'd rack that up with 2 weeks in hospital over here

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    you'd rack that up with 2 weeks in hospital over here

WHAT??????? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

WHAT??????? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

healthcare in north america is not cheap

Helix wrote: »
    healthcare in north america is not cheap

There is not cheap and there is bleedin redonkulus and that falls into the latter catagory!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dunphyh

Does that mean it'd be difficult to bring a family member in (you sponsoring them) if they had one of them conditions?
    http://www.canadavisa.com/canadian-immigration-faq-medical-examinations.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nimar

Hi there.

I have a question hopefully someone can help answer. Here's some background on our situation. We are currently in Canada on the IEC program. However our work permits (through IEC) expired at the end of Sept. My husband got an LMO from his workplace back in August and he applied for a temporary work permit in mid-August so that he would be able to move from the IEC work permit to a sponsored work permit with his employer pretty seemlessly at the end of Sept. His application for the employer-sponsored temp work permit included an application for an open work permit for me, as his spouse. Apparently, however, there's a huge backlog on processing these so our IEC temp permits have expired and we're still waiting on the LMO/temp work permits to come through. We were told by Immigration that we're under implied status until we hear back and that my husband is OK to continue working away as normal under implied status. So, here's my question. I finished up with my previous company back in July (while on IEC permit). I've now been offered a job with a new company, which they want me to start asap. Can I start into a new job while on implied status with my husband's application (while waiting for our application to be processed)? Or do I have to wait for the new work permit for me to come through? I know my husband can continue to work for his employer but I don't know what my options are in this case.

Any advice would be appreciated because we are not able to find this information anywhere.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

if he has the lmo all you have to do is go to the border and activate it. you don't have to wait on the work permit coming back from vegreville. The border can activate it the same as they did your IEC,

Hi bstar,

We were already at the border a few weeks ago and the Immigration officer there told us that because we'd already applied online back in August that we should wait for that to be processed, as opposed to him doing it. What I don't know is if I'm allowed to take and start this new job while on implied status. Any ideas?

I wouldn't have thought so as implied status only applies if you aren't changing anything at all. I know we have changed employers between work permits and you can't work until you receive the new permit. I'm only 95% sure on that though as you will be on the spousal visa and not the main one.

If you ring an immigration lawyer they will generally answer 1 off questions like that for free. Or if you can get the cic to answer the phone they are very helpful.

Sounds like the guy at the border was feeling lazy as they normally prefer to go ahead and process it instead of letting people stay on implied status.

Thanks bstar. I was thinking the same thing too but wasn't sure. Might try CIC and see what they say. If I get an answer I'll post it in case it's helpful to others.

Just got off the phone with CIC. Got a really nice lady who was super helpful. The answer to my query is basically yes - I can accept a job offer with a new employer while on implied status because my previous work permit was an open one and my new permit will be an open one also (spousal open work permit based on my husband getting sponsorship). She said implied status has the same conditions as your previous work permit. Good to know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Betty Swallocks 83

If I had a 2011 IEC visa, can I still apply for 2013 two year visa does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

If I had a 2011 IEC visa, can I still apply for 2013 two year visa does anyone know?

You will have to wait til the program opens and the eligibilty criteria are announced

retalivity wrote: »

The 2014 visas, so my reading of that is the ones that open this December are the 2013 visas so the ones that open NEXT December (December 2013) will be the 2014 visas :) I am thinking I am going to hang on and wait for them, saving a whole heap in the process (I have also applied to the American Diversity Lottery so the saving will come in handy there too)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Here's hoping this years visa will be a two year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 mercy03

Hi guys.
    Does anyone know if I can work in Canada?I am 36 and want to go with my family.I understand that IEC is not for me because of age?

:)Hi Guys,

I wanted to ask one Question. I am 36 years of age and my wife is 35. We want to go to Canada to work. Probably I would go first and then my wife with kids. As I understand I can't go with IEC permit because of my age? So what permit do I need?
    I am not skilled worker and don't have any diploma. Would look for drivers job. So what is my chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dunphyh

Do you have any specific driving qualifications/experience, or truck/bus driving license? If not, then you should probably go and get it. You cannot work in Canada without a work permit. The IEC is only available to apply for under 35yr olds. A temoporary work permit may be granted to a foreign worker with an offer of employment in Canada. The Canadian employer first has to obtain a LMO (Labour Market Opinion), which basically is a letter from the government stating that they cannot fill the job vacancy with a Canadian citizen and therefore require to employ a foreign worker. It's not impossible for you but if you are serious about the move then it would be crucial to get a qualification first. All information about temporary work permits can be found on cic.gc.ca.

dunphyh wrote: »
    Do you have any specific driving qualifications/experience, or truck/bus driving license? If not, then you should probably go and get it. You cannot work in Canada without a work permit. The IEC is only available to apply for under 35yr olds. A temoporary work permit may be granted to a foreign worker with an offer of employment in Canada. The Canadian employer first has to obtain a LMO (Labour Market Opinion), which basically is a letter from the government stating that they cannot fill the job vacancy with a Canadian citizen and therefore require to employ a foreign worker. It's not impossible for you but if you are serious about the move then it would be crucial to get a qualification first. All information about temporary work permits can be found on cic.gc.ca.

Thanks for the reply.I have Artic licence, Bus licence (never worked on a bus), I have ADR licence(but no experience).
    Does anyone know is there any companies in canada that offers job for irish? I mean if I am here how can I find employers who can offer me a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrs McSweeney

There are jobs for experienced truck drivers with the oil companies. They pay well. You would need a licence that is more than 2 years old & would need at least that amount of experience too. The jobs seem to be mostly working between the "camps" (search on here & you will find discussions about them I expect). That doesn't suit everyone, but nevertheless it's a way to earn a decent enough living.

I've no info regarding the other types of driving jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Lola Bee

Check out H & R Transport, they are looking for drivers to start immediately. They cannot get enough drivers and will probably talk/ interview you before you leave Ireland. They would likely organise all paperwork re immigration too.
    http://www.hrtrans.com/
    Good luck.
    Btw - for this you would get an LMO and your age is not a deterrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gar r

Hi roxanne i have just been looking at some of your posts was just wondering would you have any info on my situation . I am an electrician moving to alberta shortly on an lmo. I have a long term partner and 2 kids. I will be moving over on my own initially to save some money. The company have told me that my family can come but my partner cannot work but my kids will have school rights. Just wondering is this correct and would they need any documentation upon arriving. And also my partner would like to work as soon as would be possible what are our options, i know a bit about the ainp but does this take long after you receive the letter of invitation. Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

if you are coming over on a temporary work permit with the lmo you wife will get an open spousal work permit. She will be able to work. If she works in health or child care she will need a medical which will slow it down but there is no reason she can't get an work permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrs McSweeney

gar r wrote: »
    Hi roxanne i have just been looking at some of your posts was just wondering would you have any info on my situation . I am an electrician moving to alberta shortly on an lmo. I have a long term partner and 2 kids. I will be moving over on my own initially to save some money. The company have told me that my family can come but my partner cannot work but my kids will have school rights. Just wondering is this correct and would they need any documentation upon arriving. And also my partner would like to work as soon as would be possible what are our options, i know a bit about the ainp but does this take long after you receive the letter of invitation. Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

Roxanne is a banned member, but I think someone else on here managed to track her down to a different website, so a search might yield results.

Apart from that, you will need to complete a Common Law Spousal Declaration - it's a Canadian Federal document, the code for it starts with IMM but I can't find the details just right now. To back up this Declaration (to be signed with official witness such as a Commissioner of Oaths, so get it sorted out before you go to Canada) you will need a few key items of proof, such as recent utility bills in both of your names for the same address, joint bank account, child's birth cert with your names & addresses on, etc. You need to prove that you are living together.

There is probably more stuff that you will need too, but while I have a "list" in my head I'm not sure which items are relevant to an LMO.

• Advertisement

Lola Bee wrote: »
    Check out H & R Transport, they are looking for drivers to start immediately. They cannot get enough drivers and will probably talk/ interview you before you leave Ireland. They would likely organise all paperwork re immigration too.
    http://www.hrtrans.com/
    Good luck.
    Btw - for this you would get an LMO and your age is not a deterrant.

Thanks for that LOLA BEE. I'll try to get in contact with them.

Advertisement