Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Grants and tuition fees

• 06-03-2012 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 20 ✭✭✭ RC92

Im a bit confused about grants and tuition fees when it comes to PLC. i dropped out of UCC recently and so must pay half tuition fees next year. How does this work with PLC? Also is the same grant? Lets say i do 1 year in a PLC and 4 in uni do i not get a grant the final year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ✭✭✭ RC92

?? No one has any info ?

Extremely Helpful guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 implausible

RC92 wrote: »
    Extremely Helpful guys.

With that attitude, it's tempting not to reply.

However, if you were to do a PLC in a VEC centre, the govt fee is only E200 + whatever the college charges. If you have a medical card or are in receipt of a grant, you are exempt from the E200. You only get the grant once for each year of a course as long as you are progressing through the national framework of qualifications. As you received a grant for your 1st year in university, you will not be entitled to a grant for doing a PLC as you are not progressing.

Apologies, i was just frustrated at the lack of responses. Thank you for replying. I recieved 1/3 of the grant a was to get last year then dropped out, am i not entitled to the remaining 2/3? I got it stopped officially too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 implausible

RC92 wrote: »
    Apologies, i was just frustrated at the lack of responses. Thank you for replying. I recieved 1/3 of the grant a was to get last year then dropped out, am i not entitled to the remaining 2/3? I got it stopped officially too.

That I don't know. The only ones who will be able to answer that for certain is the grant awarding authority, but I'd imagine that they will see you doing a lower (level 5) course as an obstacle to paying out the remainder of a grant awarded for a higher level. If they did award it, they might then refuse to give you a grant until you had progressed from 1st year university level.

Your best bet is to get onto the county council/VEC and ask them directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ Further Ed.

All grants will now be handled by a central agency as a new ONLINE ONLY grant applications system is being introduced for 2012. All new applications will be made online to a single awarding authority, Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI) through www.studentfinance.ie.

They are the best people to contact.

Advertisement