Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cystic Fibrosis And the Army

Options
  • 04-03-2012 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

I'm not yet old enough to join the army but I want to and I have cystic fibrosis. Am I eligible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

Yeah, what about it? I can do that? I'm not a really sickly CF person,I play football, I go to the gym etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Yeah, what about it? I can do that? I'm not a really sickly CF person,I play football, I go to the gym etc. etc.

Doesn't matter dude that's going to be way up there on the no-no list, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Jesus my grandmother can do those test in her sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

I'm not yet old enough to join the army but I want to and I have cystic fibrosis. Am I eligible?

Cajun, you should call your local manpower office and ask them. All I'll say is that you shouldn't get your hopes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

You have a legal entitlement not be discriminated against as a result of any disability, such as CF. I had a quick look at the Employment Equality Acts, and I don't see any exclusion from the Acts for the Defence Forces. Call the Equality Authority if you need to confirm this.

This would mean that the same fitness or medical tests that apply to other candidates apply to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

You have a legal entitlement not be discriminated against as a result of any disability, such as CF. I had a quick look at the Employment Equality Acts, and I don't see any exclusion from the Acts for the Defence Forces. Call the Equality Authority if you need to confirm this.

This would mean that the same fitness or medical tests that apply to other candidates apply to you.

The DF has exemptions to discriminate based both on age and disability.

Very sorry OP, but as a sufferer of CF you are ineligible for service in the DF.

You are absolutely wrong on this. The Employment Equality Acts do apply to the DF, but only disallow discrimination on seven grounds: gender; marital status; family status; sexual orientation; race; religion;membership of the Traveller community. The DF can and does discriminate on the grounds of age and disability, and it must if it is to remain a military organisation and not a social club in green.

The relevant legislation is Section 37, Paragraph 5 of the Employment Equality Act, 1998, as amended by the Equality Act, 2004:
    (5) In relation to discrimination on the age ground or disability ground, nothing in this Part or Part II applies in relation to employment in the Defence Forces.

You shouldn't get the guy or girl's hopes up with your half baked ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

I think the point should also be made that Cystic Fibrosis is a long term illness as opposed to a disability. So would it really be discrimination per se anyway?

I doubt it would pass the medical assessment.

PoleStar wrote: »
    I think the point should also be made that Cystic Fibrosis is a long term illness as opposed to a disability. So would it really be discrimination per se anyway?

Nope, this is the definition of "disability" from the Employment Equality Act:
    “disability” means—

(a) the total or partial absence of a person's bodily or mental functions, including the absence of a part of a person's body,

(b) the presence in the body of organisms causing, or likely to cause, chronic disease or illness,

(c) the malfunction, malformation or disfigurement of a part of a person's body,

(d) a condition or malfunction which results in a person learning differently from a person without the condition or malfunction, or

(e) a condition, illness or disease which affects a person's thought processes, perception of reality, emotions or judgement or which results in disturbed behaviour,

and shall be taken to include a disability which exists at present, or which previously existed but no longer exists, or which may exist in the future or which is imputed to a person;

Cystic Fibrosis falls under (b).

• Advertisement

Donny5 wrote: »
    You are absolutely wrong on this. The Employment Equality Acts do apply to the DF, but only disallow discrimination on seven grounds: gender; marital status; family status; sexual orientation; race; religion;membership of the Traveller community.

The relevant legislation is Section 37, Paragraph 5 of the Employment Equality Act, 1998, as amended by the Equality Act, 2004:
    Thanks for the clarification. I stand corrected.
    You shouldn't get the guy or girl's hopes up with your half baked ideas.
    That's why I told him or her to check with the Equality Authority.
    It would be covered by the definition of disability in the Employment Equality Acts, though it's a moot point given the general exclusion for the Defence forces.
    The DF can and does discriminate on the grounds of age and disability, and it must if it is to remain a military organisation and not a social club in green.
    This is why we need anti-discrimination legislation to cover the Defence Forces and other organisations - because people make judgements based on labels, not on individual abilities or disabilities. There is no reason for the Defence Forces to discriminate based on age or disability. There are very good reasons for the Defence Forces to discriminate based on ability - functional tests of abilities that apply to everyone.

This is why we need anti-discrimination legislation to cover the Defence Forces and other organisations - because people make judgements based on labels, not on individual abilities or disabilities. There is no reason for the Defence Forces to discriminate based on age or disability. There are very good reasons for the Defence Forces to discriminate based on ability - functional tests of abilities that apply to everyone.

What a load of bollox. You are saying you'd happily leave a 5 year old, with no arms or legs join the army and carry a machine gun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

SerialComplaint.....

Don't bother fighting this one. Under NO circumstances will the Director of the Medical Corps in the DF allow someone with a disability/long term illness to join up.

There is a looooong ass list of things that will preclude a person from joining the DF and im pretty sure CF is on it (I may stand corrected).

There is no point digging out equality acts or anything else to "technically" get around this. It would be wrong of anyone here to get the OP's hopes up.

Sorry OP, people have been turned away because of something simple as being a coeliac.

Even if CF isn't on the list, militaries are very good at catch-alls, and all the recruitment and cadetship requirements include the following:
    Candidates must be in good mental and bodily health and free from any physical defect, abnormality, physiological condition or past history of serious illness likely to interfere with the efficient performance of his/her duties.

What a load of bollox. You are saying you'd happily leave a 5 year old, with no arms or legs join the army and carry a machine gun?
    Perhaps you didn't read my post. I'll highlight the most relevant bit for you.

"functional tests of abilities"

Well, ****.

Perhaps you didn't read my post. I'll highlight the most relevant bit for you.

"functional tests of abilities"

Right if you want to play it that way
    Age discrimination: Under international law, you cannot use child soldiers
    Discrimination based on illness or disability: Illnesses and disabilities, as part of their symptoms already restrict certain abilities. That is why they are called DISabilities.

Right if you want to play it that way
    Age discrimination: Under international law, you cannot use child soldiers
    Discrimination based on illness or disability: Illnesses and disabilities, as part of their symptoms already restrict certain abilities. That is why they are called DISabilities.
    I'm not playing at all, and I'm certainly not proposing child soldiers.

I'm simply pointing out that blanket bans based on labels are pointless and obnoxious. If a person is unable to do a job, they should not be eligible. If they are able to do a job, they are eligible. Almost every disability spans a broad spectrum of severity. Many people at the milder end of the spectrum will be very capable of most jobs, including the Defence Forces. People at the other end of the spectrum will not be capable of most jobs.

People are individuals - they have individual abilities and disabilities. Recruitment should be based on their abilities, not their disabilities.

I'm not playing at all, and I'm certainly not proposing child soldiers.

I'm simply pointing out that blanket bans based on labels are pointless and obnoxious. If a person is unable to do a job, they should not be eligible. If they are able to do a job, they are eligible. Almost every disability spans a broad spectrum of severity. Many people at the milder end of the spectrum will be very capable of most jobs, including the Defence Forces. People at the other end of the spectrum will not be capable of most jobs.

People are individuals - they have individual abilities and disabilities. Recruitment should be based on their abilities, not their disabilities.

So you don't have a clue what a job in the defence forces involves then?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

Jesus my grandmother can do those test in her sleep

That's because they are entrance level tests. Entrance level tests in most armies are a piece of p**s just to make sure that your'e not a lazy slob. Your fitness is built up then from training.

When you are in the Defence Forces your'e subject to a much harder yearly fitness test which you must pass. The details of the fitness test you have to do when serving are on military.ie also. Its a graded test. It involves a 10 kilometre route march with kit, press ups, sit ups, and a 2 mile run.

• Advertisement

So you don't have a clue what a job in the defence forces involves then?
    Perhaps instead of making this a battle between you and me, we could concentrate on the issue in hand. Would you like to expand on what specifically is it about a job in the Defence Forces that is impossible to define in terms of functional abilities?

Perhaps instead of making this a battle between you and me, we could concentrate on the issue in hand. Would you like to expand on what specifically is it about a job in the Defence Forces that is impossible to define in terms of functional abilities?

I couldn't be arsed, because I'm not a doctor, and it is the job of a doctor to make the final decision.
    The requirements are there so as not to give people false hopes. Save them the trouble and expense of going through a recruitment process only to be told at the final hurdle that they are medically unsuitable.

I couldn't be arsed, because I'm not a doctor, and it is the job of a doctor to make the final decision.
    The requirements are there so as not to give people false hopes. Save them the trouble and expense of going through a recruitment process only to be told at the final hurdle that they are medically unsuitable.

Indeed, no-one wants to give anyone false hopes. If there are functional requirements around what the applicant must be able to do, then that is clear for everybody.

There is no need for any exclusion in the anti-discrimination laws for the Defence Forces if the functional requirements are clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

I would imagine most people that have a reasonable intellectual ability would have at least some notion of a job in the Defence Forces involves, even if they only garnered that notion from watching some film or other that had even the mildest portrayal of a military nature. Soldiers carry and fire weapons, hump loads over great distances etc. etc. etc.
    There's no need to say that there's jobs such as drivers, cooks, radio operators that could be done by someone that hasn't fully functional abilities because first and foremost these people are soldiers and can/will be called upon to carry out the job of a soldier.
    While some people might argue about the discrimination allowed under various acts/laws to the Defence Forces I am pretty sure if these discriminations were not there and a person with a disability was allowed in and subsequently was injured or killed while serving then those same people would be arguing about having people with disabilities in the Defence Forces. In fact I would argue that a person should be a minimum of 21 years of age to be allowed join. People need to look at the realities of a soldiers job not just the nice glorified bits of doing parades in the dress uniforms and such like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭johnryano

listen kid don't be too down about it. the army is a **** job, regardless of how any of these walter mitty's talk it up.

plenty of other things you could find a good career in.

fair play keeping your fitness levels up and staying healthy. maybe you could do a college course in fitness training.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

johnryano wrote: »
    listen kid don't be too down about it. the army is a **** job, regardless of how any of these walter mitty's talk it up.

fair play keeping your fitness levels up and staying healthy. maybe you could do a college course in fitness training.

Explain why it is "a **** job" ? It can be a very satisfying and rewarding career. I know of people who have joined up with just a basic education and who now are well educated and have good life experiences from being in defence forces worldwide.
    Who are the "walter mitty's" ? I imagine at least 1 poster on this thread has at least some military knowledge/experience from seeing the same username on another site.

That's because they are entrance level tests.

No, that's the annual fitness test, 10km march and all. It really is not all that difficult.

Lol.

Despite his earlier silliness, he's right about this. There is a whole world of opportunities out there for you that don't involve uniforms, and most of them pay better than soldiering.

hey, there's an idea! thanks, but I've wanted to join the army since I was about two and no horror stories or bad pay could change my mind. I think that's saying something, regardless of what you think of the job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

while i have some sympathy with your view, you have to remember that by and large Armies recruit people with the hope that they will stay for perhaps 20 years - and the cost of the training is a bloody good reason for that. Armies want to recruit someone who they can have reasonable confidence (injuries aside) will be still be able to do the job in 20 years time - recruiting someone who at the age of 20 already has health 'baggage', and hoping that after 20 years of pretty arduous service they'll still be in decent nick is likely to be a pretty bad bet.

its harsh, and for some its not fair - this lad may well be able to do 20 years in the infantry and be as fit at 40 as he is at 20, but he may not, so why take the risk when the next guy in the que is as fit, as enthusiastic, and as well qualified?

• Advertisement

OS119 wrote: »
    while i have some sympathy with your view, you have to remember that by and large Armies recruit people with the hope that they will stay for perhaps 20 years - and the cost of the training is a bloody good reason for that. Armies want to recruit someone who they can have reasonable confidence (injuries aside) will be still be able to do the job in 20 years time - recruiting someone who at the age of 20 already has health 'baggage', and hoping that after 20 years of pretty arduous service they'll still be in decent nick is likely to be a pretty bad bet.

its harsh, and for some its not fair - this lad may well be able to do 20 years in the infantry and be as fit at 40 as he is at 20, but he may not, so why take the risk when the next guy in the que is as fit, as enthusiastic, and as well qualified?

beause not many people are joining up and I'm more detemined and enthusiastic than any person "in the que"

Advertisement