Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boat mould bought

Options
  • 03-03-2012 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

At long last. thanks to good timing and a little patience.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Good things come to those who wait :D Keep us posted on your first build.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Jack_regan

Good old donedeal comes to the rescue again!:)

It looks like a nice clean mould. Did the guy you bought off give you an idea roughly how much it was costing him in materials to make a boat out of it?

I got some fibreglass materials for repairs fromwww.mbfg.co.uk. They are up in Newtownabbey Co. Antrim. I found them to be good value and the stuff worked well. They have a great delivery service too. (It's starting to sound like I work for them, honestly I don't!)

What are the dimensions of the mould; is it a five foot beam?

Anyway best of luck with building the first boat and may there be many more to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭whacker1982

Cheers jack Regan. Yea he was buying in bulk he was getting the resin alone for 3 euro a kg. Which is for nothing really.

I won't buy in bulk just enough to build one, and if it sells fast I'll get enough for two.

The mould is spotless only for one chip at the top of the transom so I must get some filler for it before I start building.

The length is just over ten feet, and the wight is a little over four feet.
    Thanks for The website info. I've been doing a lot of shopping around looking for The best prices.
    Really looking forward to getting a start now. I'll post up some pictures once I start. Thanks again.

I won't buy in bulk just enough to build one, and if it sells fast I'll get enough for two.

Sounds like a plan. Have you worked with fibreglass before? I presume you're going to use the polyester resin (a lot cheaper than epoxy). Do you know what weight mat your going to use etc.? Might be no harm to do up a shopping list and post it up here before you commit to buying the stuff. Plenty of experts on hand to guide you along the way.
    The length is just over ten feet, and the width is a little over four feet.

Ah that might be a good selling point, most car roof racks are about 4 feet wide so if it could be transported on a roof rack it would save people buying a trailer. A lot of the 10 foot boats have a 4' 6" - 5' beam which rules out the roof rack as a means of transportation.

Have you thought about gel coat colours yet?

Anyway get cracking at it and keep us all posted on the progress.

I must measure it again to get the exact measurments of the mould but at the widest point (beam) its about four inches over four foot. but it curves in as it comes to the bow, and the same at the stern. its a good point take away the trailer and more people should go for.

ive decided on white gel coat, ill be getting 300gsm chopped strand for the first lay up, then two layers of 450gsm. after that ive decided to put in the timber keel, stem, and transom. and other bits and bobs like the seat supports and eye hook at the bow and gunnels.
    Then ill put in another two layers of 450gsm to finish it off.

Ill be updating my progress for sure plenty of pictures as i go along, but it wont be for another week or two, just doing up the shed at the moment alot of clutter in there but it will do fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Don't forget the releasing agent :D

just ordered fergal

Sounds like your fully on top of it! By the time you take the gunnels into account you might be still okay for roof rack transportation. The inside beam should be around the 4 foot mark and with the curve of the boat taken into account it should be still a goer.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the boat build in progress.

Advertisement