Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Theatre

• 02-03-2012 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭

The theatre I haven't been there in years and in total I only ever went twice and on both those occasions I enjoyed it. I thought I would start going to put a bit of change in my routine.

Does anyone on AH go to the theatre, what are your experiences of it, do you enjoy it, if so why, discuss.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

I hate theatre and I hate theatre people. I'm not sure why but I do love acting, and watching real proper talented actors. Theatre is just the opposite of all that I love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I've been a handful of times, most recent was in November, I'm indifferent too it, depending on the show really.

Best look here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=232

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

The theatre is for nancy boys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I do.
    The most recent one was "The plough and the stars".
    Brilliantly acted by all.
    Some muppet though keep letting his phone ring thought intense and important scenes.
    token101 wrote: »
    You haven't got a clue!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I seen Hugh Leonard's play "Da" been advertised, I loved that film, so I am wondering what the play would be like. That will be my first stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Not that way inclined myself.

Would rather go to an air show, maybe a car exhibition, or something with explosions and fire.

You wouldn't be allowed in anyway because you don't wash..

Mr. Smelly Pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Babybuff wrote: »
    I hate theatre and I hate theatre people. I'm not sure why but I do love acting, and watching real proper talented actors. Theatre is just the opposite of all that I love.

This makes no sense, unless if by 'theatre', you're alluding to Twink.

Biggins wrote: »
    You haven't got a clue!

The Grand Canal Theatre? The Gay-ity? The Everyman?

I stand corrected. Toffs and nancy boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

why would you go pay to watch a bunch of self important @rsholes yakking on about sweet fa covered in makeup when you could watch reality tv?

oh

• Advertisement

This makes no sense, unless if by 'theatre', you're alluding to Twink.

I've been to a few shows and it's mostly the crappy Irish acting that irks me, it's cringeworthy, on par with watching fair city live. I know a few theatre people and to say that they are slightly up their own holes would be a bit of an understatement. I saw the plough and the stars too when I was a kid though, Mick Lally was in it at the time and he's a legend so I retract some of my hate for theatre in respect to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

I go quite often.

The main quibble of mine is how expensive it is.

Seen DA and The Gods of Carnage in The Gate most recently - both were excellent.

Well helloooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I went with my school to the abbey theatre at 14 to see checkhov's 'the cherry orchard'. I thought it was ok but the rest of the class were bored to tears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I've been to a few plays and the like. Some of them are really good, and capture your attention a lot more than a movie does. Loads of people seem to think that it's a passtime for the posh/pretentious suit clad rich folk, which is unfortunate.

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I went with my school to the abbey theatre at 14 to see checkhov's 'the cherry orchard'. I thought it was ok but the rest of the class were bored to tears

Then you were the class nancy boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I've been to the Theater once. Didn't like it.

I feel kind of embarrassed for the actors when they break the 4th wall and speak to the audience or speak out to the audience. I don't know if its an immature trait but thats how I feel. Never even like the Pantomimes I went to around Christmas time in Primary school.

Also don't like the kind of theater people who are condesending because I prefer film.

another thing, take that scarf off, you look like a douche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Last time I went to anything resembling theatre it was Jesus goes to guantanimo bay. The warm up act came out and slated tallaght. It was'nt legitimate theatre mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Seriously what are you on about? Performing in front of a live audience is one of the biggest challenges an actor can face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Then you were the class nancy boy

aye and what of it?:P

Well if that is the case I better not go:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Many years ago I saw some production about sailors or something.

It was funny, or at least I remember people laughing.

Also saw The Merchant of Venice on a school trip many years ago. I was drunk and fell asleep during it. Don't like that play anyway.

Wattle wrote: »
    Seriously what are you on about? Performing in front of a live audience is one of the biggest challenges an actor can face.

What about dodging bullets or doing backflips with their hands cuffed behind their backs?

Should have gone into film dude

btw musicals and cabaret make my hair fall out

RichieC wrote: »
    What about dodging bullets or doing backflips with their hands cuffed behind their backs?

They can do about 50 takes until they get it right. In theatre you only get one go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

They can do about 50 takes until they get it right. In theatre you only get one go.

Don't they get to practice at all?

I've been to a few plays and the like. Some of them are really good, and capture your attention a lot more than a movie does. Loads of people seem to think that it's a passtime for the posh/pretentious suit clad rich folk, which is unfortunate.

That is the impression alright but that is no reason why us of the lower orders should not expand our horizons. A bit of culture doesn't do anybody any harm, the opposite I think, a bit of culture is worthwhile.

I believe both stage and screen actors rehearse yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

It just reminds me of that scene in the Simpsons.
    Where the army general berates his wife during a Play.

"And this is better than a movie...Why?!?!?!"

I was asked to go to Wicked a couple of years ago. Oh how I wish I hadn't.

• Advertisement

btw musicals and cabaret make my hair fall out

Team America and south Park the movie were musicals!

44leto wrote: »
    That is the impression alright but that is no reason why us of the lower orders should not expand their horizons. A bit of culture doesn't do anybody any harm, the opposite I think, a bit of culture is worthwhile.

Indeed. When we did go to our last show (in the Abbey, Dublin) not only did we get to have a few drinks during the break and afterwards, the cast came out to discuss the play and everything else about the work and life they do and have.
    We got a very up close insight that night into a lot of things we might not have gathered/learned by just staring at 'Big Brother' or EastEnders!

The Grand Canal Theatre? The Gay-ity? The Everyman?
    I stand corrected. Toffs and nancy boys.
    I'm assuming your either trolling or joking.

...But for those that actually think such daftness, think on this!

It was good enough for the people of Ireland and the men (and women) that died in 1916!
    It was their form of entertainment also. It brought history and insight to them and the further masses.
    It sad that its now knocked by people that really don't have a clue - and advertise this by their stupid condemnation of a good theatre show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

I went to the ballet with my other half a few months ago. It's the first time I was in a theatre since I was "shepherd no.2" in my primary school play. And I suppose I use the word "theatre" loosely there since it was just the P.E. hall.

Anyway; the ballet was fab-u-lous! I found a new love for skintight leotards; with muscular shapely legs being lifted high into the air in trouser-tighteningly wonderful ways. And that was just me making my way to my seat.

I'd go again.

That is the impression alright but that is no reason why us of the lower orders should not expand their horizons. A bit of culture doesn't do anybody any harm, the opposite I think, a bit of culture is worthwhile.
    There's a difference between culture and talent and skill and what's mostly on offer throughout the various theatres in Ireland.
    When I was about 12 I was hand selected at the bequest of a teacher to attend a local drama school (as I was good at art & music they thought oh well she might be good at that too) The memory of the poncyness of it all is still very clearly etched onto my cerebral cortex. Every other member was there because mammy or daddy were involved with Mr finnegan who also ran the local golf club and everyone said Brandon would make a great actor and he and Swindon were made for the stage because they watched Daddy prepare for the annual tops yearly with his "how many outfits can I change in 2 minutes" entry. The were well prepared by the parentage.
    Shame was they were all crap but it was a self supporting circle so they would never actually figure that out.

There's a difference between culture and talent and skill and what's mostly on offer throughout the various theatres in Ireland.
    When I was about 12 I was hand selected at the bequest of a teacher to attend a local drama school (as I was good at art & music they thought oh well she might be good at that too) The memory of the poncyness of it all is still very clearly etched onto my cerebral cortex. Every other member was there because mammy or daddy were involved with Mr finnegan who also ran the local golf club and everyone said Brandon would make a great actor and he and Swindon were made for the stage because they watched Daddy prepare for the annual tops yearly with his "how many outfits can I change in 2 minutes" entry. The were well prepared by the parentage.
    Shame was they were all crap but it was a self supporting circle so they would never actually figure that out.

But I am not going there to make friends, I will be going because I THINK I would enjoy it and it will be something different rather then the cinema or the pub. I do go to the cinema about once a week, although a few posters were comparing cinema with the theatre I don't think there is a comparison, I think they are different experiences.

Should have gone into film dude

I go to both movies and the theatre. I like to keep an open mind and stay away from generalisations like 'all theatre is crap'.

• Advertisement

I don't believe I went there to make friends either but the level of acting on a regional basis in Ireland can be truly dire and it's does manage to ruin a good work otherwise. Irish people are not great at being able to express emotion, on or off stage. Very few great Irish actors but the ones who can, do it well and I just prefer to watch them on the big screen. Eliminates the need to contend with the rest of the ****e they would otherwise be acting with.

...I think they are different experiences.
    Very much so.

If only from one aspect.
    While watching a film on screen more so, you tend to get sucked into a good film and oft times while following story, less notice the skills sometimes of the actors of said film.

In the theatre I find that as much as I still enjoy a play, etc, the live participants more so are able to show (maybe because its right there live in front of your face) their absolute brilliant skills of expressing sorrow, explain some intense scene and/or pain.
    I find I appreciate the skills of live actors/actresses a lot more sometimes than I do just seeing something on a screen (where I have to say there has been outstanding performances also).

For those that say a good show is too expensive - how much its it now to a premiership football game now per ticket (or a concert) ?
    The two are different - but if you want quality sometimes, you have to pay the current price and take your chances - in both aspects!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Most people who dislike proper drama (Miller, Williams, Ibsen, Synge, Friel, Shaw, Maeterlinck, O Casey, Wilde, Beckett, Tom Kilroy, Tom Murphy etc) declare that it is boring or some other idiotic derivative because they are not spoon fed everything.

Ireland has produced some of the best playwrights ever whose plays reverberate all around the world in different contexts every year. I pity an Irish person who has not seen at least one play by one of our greats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

The two most recent plays I've seen were The Plough and the Stars and Juno and the Paycock both at the Abbey in 2010 and 2011. Tickets aren't that expensive and the production values were very high and the casts excellent. Ciaran Hinds was in Juno, his Captain Boyle drunk routine was a joy to behold.

RichieC wrote: »
    Team America and south Park the movie were musicals!
    I watched the muppets the other night, it was just about acceptable..but then they are muppets and make no attempt to hide the fact :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

Went to see 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof' at the end of last summer in The Gate, was brilliant! Don't go as much as I used to. :(

The two most recent plays I've seen were The Plough and the Stars and Juno and the Paycock both at the Abbey in 2010 and 2011. Tickets aren't that expensive and the production values were very high and the casts excellent. Ciaran Hinds was in Juno, his Captain Boyle drunk routine was a joy to behold.

We went to the same show. :)
    It was absolutely world class and the way the stage layout, etc was done (the cast re-arranged it themselves at times), was an eye opener in itself.
    The scene where one young woman was on her knees speaking to the audience of a death she suffered and the pain she was feeling, was breath taking. She had the whole audience 'in her hand' and you could have heard a pin drop.
    There is just some things you cannot experience from a screen.

Screen stuff IS good but equally, live stuff can be just as good too.
    As 44leto rightly said, it's a whole different experience.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Most people who dislike proper drama (Miller, Williams, Ibsen, Synge, Friel, Shaw, Maeterlinck, O Casey, Wilde, Beckett, Tom Kilroy, Tom Murphy etc) declare that it is boring or some other idiotic derivative because they are not spoon fed everything.

Ireland has produced some of the best playwrights ever whose plays reverberate all around the world in different contexts every year. I pity an Irish person who has not seen at least one play by one of our greats.
    And that is a fact and you even left scores of other worldwide famous Irish playwrights off your extensive list. We punch way above our weight in playwright and acting talent, look at the amount of A lister stars this country produces. So it is definitely one of Ireland's traditions and talents, we should be proud of it and I don't buy that it is that exclusive and even if it is, so what, that doesn't mean I can't go, or I wont enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Biggins wrote: »
    We went to the same show. :)
    It was absolutely world class and the way the stage layout, etc was done (the cast re-arranged it themselves at times), was an eye opener in itself.
    The scene where one young woman was on her knees speaking to the audience of a death she suffered and the pain she was feeling, was breath taking. She had the whole audience 'in her hand' and you could have heard a pin drop.
    There is just some things you cannot experience from a screen.

Screen stuff IS good but equally, live stuff can be just as good too.
    As 44leto rightly said, it's a whole different experience.

Drama is read as well as performed. Its both a private and public experience, the best playwrights thread this line wonderfully. This is what makes it the most powerful medium of expression there is. If you look through the history of drama as far back as the Greeks it is obvious drama is far superior to anything else. 99% of screen stuff written today and years gone past is drivel for the entertainment industry and there is really no other motive behind it, few screen writers could be described as artists. The only tv series that could come close for instance to the definition of art is The Sopranos and The Wire. Drama is a form of art.
    I think Juno will be back on the Abbey later this year as well because it was that successful. The astounding thing about that play is that few people realise that Juno is the real villain and thats one of the things that makes it so powerful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I go every couple of weeks. It's one of my very favourite things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I've seen some cracking plays in the last few years. Funnier than any standup routines or TV show.

The actors can play to, and react to the audience in a way that isn't possible in other mediums.

Haven't been to too many 'serious' plays though.

I think theatre is seriously underestimated for its entertainment value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I'm in Galway so am surrounded by them. I go a lot. Usually to dance performances, but I've stepped up the plays recently too. I worked at the Edinburgh Fringe last year and got into a lot of stuff for free. Some of it was fantastic, like Kafka and Son. It's an under-appreciated art-form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I love the theatre but I don't go enough. I'd say it's probably a once every few months thing for me. While I'll happily go to the cinema alone, I prefer to see a show with others and trying to organise this can be a nightmare.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I seen Hugh Leonard's play "Da" been advertised, I loved that film, so I am wondering what the play would be like. That will be my first stop.

I'm such an idiot. I saw posters for it all over town and all I thought was "why are they putting up posters quoting someone saying 'Da'"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I love the theatre. I don't go as often as I'd like (lack of someone like minded to go with mainly), but I still go a few times a year. I mostly go to productions in the Gate, I'm not one for the avant garde cutting edge stuff (the Project) or Oirish stuff (the Abbey). I will admit that I especially like short plays, as I find 3 hours sitting on my stiff arse in a warm room somewhat tiresome. And it can be very expensive. But it can be a fantastic night out. A good play will draw you in a lot more than a good film I think, because it's all so immediate and it requires more of your concentration. I've seen absolutely super stuff over the years, and amazing actors.

Theatre can be very enriching I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement