Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaa

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

stovelid wrote: »
    I'm not a troglodyte in hot pants so the appeal is limited.

The Jones Road BigotDome is a nice stadium though.

I played hurling until recently and I wouldn't consider myself or the majority of my teamates bigots. Decent people.
    What sports are you into? If you are capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

They don't mind when those "skill-less" gaelic footballers make it big at rugby though (Shane Horgan, Rob Kearney, Sean O'Brien, Tomas O'Leary etc.)
    How is that relevant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Thank god it doesn't normally attract the scumbag fans you see at soccer games. Can go to any ground in Ireland without intimidation (unless you look for it!)

The GAA has yet to really address a long-standing and pretty disgraceful disciplinary problem with intimidation of referees, by crowd and players alike, particularly at club level.

Add to this numerous instances of mass brawls with players, coaching staff and fans and what do the GAA do? Convene another committee, issue another fine.

Worst of all, even the fights are sh1t.

The GAA has yet to really address a long-standing and pretty disgraceful disciplinary problem with intimidation of referees, by crowd and players alike, particularly at club level.

Add to this numerous instances of mass brawls with players, coaching staff and fans and what do the GAA do? Convene another committee, issue another fine.

Jaysus, those Derrytresk lads were in like a shot.

Should've put the fuckers playing forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Seachmall wrote: »
    How is that relevant?

Course it's relevant.

Lad plays GAA: "Ah sure anyone can play that. He's not a great sportsman"

Lad plays rugby: "WOW goys that man is amazing"

Maybe I'm being biased but I've been involved in GAA in my locality for virtually my whole life. I've seen lads who would predominately play GAA take up rugby in the winter months just to keep fit. The majority of these lads adjust seamlessly to the game, with a few of them stars for the local rugby team's first team. I've also seen a heap of rugby lads play GAA in their off-season and they look awkward and cumbersome, and find it hard to adjust to the finer aspects of the game (the solo in particular). Most of them give up early on.

So yeah, basically my point is there's far more skill in GAA than rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

fryup wrote: »
    :rolleyes: its a load of muck, played by bog brained backward boggers

Someone was useless and couldn't make the under 12s third team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

*takes opportunity to have a pop at Paul Galvin, as he deserves it and should be roundly mocked at all possible occasions*

The head on Paul Galvin!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

*takes opportunity to have a pop at Paul Galvin, as he deserves it and should be roundly mocked at all possible occasions*

The head on Paul Galvin!
    Yes, because Paul Galvin is a typical GAA player stereotype. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Well as someone who played Gaelic Football and Soccer growing up I have to say GAA wins out. Soccer or Wendyball as it is referred to by most people from sporting organisations that play contact sports has just lost its appeal. At grass roots level soccer in Ireland has parents on the line abusing kids from their own team and the opposition where as the GAA have put in place at underage level the Give Respect Get Respect initiative. I am involved with both sports as my kids play them both so don't have an axe to grind with either.

Course it's relevant.

Lad plays GAA: "Ah sure anyone can play that. He's not a great sportsman"

Lad plays rugby: "WOW goys that man is amazing".

The point made was that GAA is not a skillful game. Not that GAA players can't be skillful in other games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,019 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

theteal wrote: »
    Ah lads and ladies, I can't abide posts that start off with "I've no interest/I've never played" and then end with "there's no skill yada yada". It's like when you hear people who are muck at/never played any decent level soccer saying the LOI is crap. There's tremendous skill in all facets of the game.

Can you run at full pelt while soloing the ball, let alone do it with both feet? I haven't even mentioned being tackled while doing it.
    Can you jump and catch a high ball while contesting against others trying to catch/punch it?
    Can you shoot/pass the ball accurately with the inside/outside/laces of your boot while kicking from the hands?

There's 3 basic examples of football skills that lads playing for years still have trouble being proficient at let alone mastering. I'm not even going to go into tactics, positioning etc.

To say that there's no skill in football is utterly absurd. Show me a sport on the planet that does not involve skill. I know people have issues with the GAA and rightly so but please don't use that to insult the game that I and many others love to play.

This idea what you have to play a game on a serious level to undrstand it is bollox. Jose Mourinho and Alex Ferguson never played top flight soccerl, yet they're conisdered to be the two best tactical minds in the sport. Andre Villas-Boas never played professionally at all!

I played quiet a youth and could so all the thigns you mentioned (two of them not being all that difficult). I can kick a football (well could :D), run and do can do both at the same time. Where's my diploma? If anything, the game demanded far more accuracy than anything when kicking.

Tactically, they use the same formations in very game and, as said, seem to kick for accuracy as being the main idea.

elefant wrote: »
    I don't think you would find most people referring to Gaelic Football as GAA, but whatever, it's just semantics.

And I also hate 'this gah crap'!

Agreed.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Yes, because Paul Galvin is a typical GAA player stereotype. :rolleyes:

He's not at all, I just really, really hate him, and take every opportunity I can to say something bad about him.

He looks like a buffoon!

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Andre Villas-Boas never played professionally at all!
    How that working out for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭CucaFace

At the end of the day I just feel sorry for those who really don't know what they are missing out when it comes to GAA sports and what it actually does for a community.

Because you are actually missing out on something really good,fun and worthwhile in some many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Someone was useless and couldn't make the under 12s third team.

couldn't make the under 12s ffs:rolleyes:

don't make me laugh, never ever had any intention of playing that muck

i always prefered a sport with tactics and skill > rugby and football (soccer to culchies)

CucaFace wrote: »
    At the end of the day I just feel sorry for those who really don't know what they are missing out when it comes to GAA sports and what it actually does for a community.

Because you are actually missing out on something really good,fun and worthwhile in some many ways.

I could say the same about any sport, drug or homoerotic behaviour.

they look awkward and cumbersome,

So do a lot of inter-county footballers though.

Of course there's skill involved in Football, but Jesus it's become an awful ugly shove-fest.

i always prefered a sport with tactics and skill > rugby and football (soccer to culchies)
    WTF you on about, can you name these so called tactics and skills that are used in Soccer and Rugby but not GAA games?

but the GAA doesn't have a monopoly on community relations...playing football (soccer to culchies) and rugby and other sports benefits the local community as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I have absolutely no interest in GAA. I went out on All Ireland Final day last year and it was good craic and a great atmosphere but other than that I'd have no interest all year round.

• Advertisement

I think there's lots of unnecessary defensiveness going on here.

Just because someone doesn't like a particular sport that you do, it doesn't mean that they're wrong, simply don't know anything about sport (how can you avoid seeing G.A.A in Ireland, especially during the summer?) or are jealous because they're not good at it.

I like hurling, and I don't like Gaelic football. There's no bias behind these opinions: I've come to them after watching both sports, and playing a little.

But I've nothing against the sport of Gaelic football, or those who play and enjoy it.
    Except Paul Galvin. He seems like a bit of a thug.

This idea what you have to play a game on a serious level to undrstand it is bollox. Jose Mourinho and Alex Ferguson never played top flight soccerl, yet they're conisdered to be the two best tactical minds in the sport. Andre Villas-Boas never played professionally at all!

I played quiet a youth and could so all the thigns you mentioned (two of them not being all that difficult). I can kick a football (well could :D), run and do can do both at the same time. Where's my diploma? If anything, the game demanded far more accuracy than anything when kicking.

Tactically, they use the same formations in very game and, as said, seem to kick for accuracy as being the main idea.

Agreed.

Shows just how clueless about the sport you really are.

If by same formation you mean that they start the game with the players standing in the same postion , then yes.

Normally about 5 secs after the throw in ten the different tactical formations take shape. The exact same way it does in fotball (Soccer).

If anything the tactical elelment in Gaelic football has become too much an influence which has lead to a deterioion in the sport.

Its just as tactal a sport as Football. You can play short passing game/ long passing game, a defsenve game or an attacking game. Very similar to football.

Ive played both all my life and i always laugh at those who only played football who think it is a far more advanced sport.

Both rquire different skills and tactics.

I can't comment on Rugby as i have never played nor have any interest in.

What skill please tell is in Rugby that isn't in Gaelic football?

Is it the skill of everyone jumping in a big pile and fingering each other up the ass?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

thegen wrote: »
    Well as someone who played Gaelic Football and Soccer growing up I have to say GAA wins out. Soccer or Wendyball as it is referred to by most people from sporting organisations that play contact sports has just lost its appeal. At grass roots level soccer in Ireland has parents on the line abusing kids from their own team and the opposition where as the GAA have put in place at underage level the Give Respect Get Respect initiative. I am involved with both sports as my kids play them both so don't have an axe to grind with either.

That's such bull. Initiatives at underage level are useless when what they aim to eradicate is continuously perpetuated at non-underage levels. You don't hear about too many soccer refs being physically assaulted after matches by scores of rabid fans or players. I'm not saying that soccer much better than GAA in terms of that stuff, but you make it seem as if soccer is infinitely worse.

but the GAA doesn't have a monopoly on community relations...playing football (soccer to culchies) and rugby and other sports benefits the local community as well

I never said it had a monopoly on anything, i was just defending it againest those who seem to have a really ignorant and flalse view on the GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

That's such bull. Initiatives at underage level are useless when what they aim to eradicate is continuously perpetuated at non-underage levels. You don't hear about too many soccer refs being physically assaulted after matches by scores of rabid fans or players. I'm not saying that soccer much better than GAA in terms of that stuff, but you make it seem as if soccer is infinitely worse.

I have stated it is in my experience at underage level. I think you are missing the point. If you don't start with underage it will never work.

The age group I am talking about is u10. And yes Soccer is far and away worse for verbal abuse of players at that level.

Is it the skill of everyone jumping in a big pile and fingering each other up the ass?

In the interests of those who suffer in silence, kindly refrain from placing 'big pile' and 'finger up the ass' in the same sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Greatest amateur sports organisation in the world.

Thank god it doesn't normally attract the scumbag fans you see at soccer games. Can go to any ground in Ireland without intimidation (unless you look for it!)

The GAA have the best stadium in Ireland and that's a credit to an amateur organisation.
    Yes, you're right, there's never trouble at gaa games. Crowds never attack the ref, and mass brawls are unheard of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭ceegee

theteal wrote: »
    Ah lads and ladies, I can't abide posts that start off with "I've no interest/I've never played" and then end with "there's no skill yada yada". It's like when you hear people who are muck at/never played any decent level soccer saying the LOI is crap. There's tremendous skill in all facets of the game.

Can you run at full pelt while soloing the ball, let alone do it with both feet? I haven't even mentioned being tackled while doing it.
    Can you jump and catch a high ball while contesting against others trying to catch/punch it?
    Can you shoot/pass the ball accurately with the inside/outside/laces of your boot while kicking from the hands?

There's 3 basic examples of football skills that lads playing for years still have trouble being proficient at let alone mastering. I'm not even going to go into tactics, positioning etc.

To say that there's no skill in football is utterly absurd. Show me a sport on the planet that does not involve skill. I know people have issues with the GAA and rightly so but please don't use that to insult the game that I and many others love to play.

elefant wrote: »
    I don't think you would find most people referring to Gaelic Football as GAA, but whatever, it's just semantics.

And I also hate 'this gah crap'!

Agreed.

Ferguson never played top flight football? Must have been some other Alex Ferguson that broke the Scottish transfer record so...

• Advertisement

WTF you on about, can you name these so called tactics and skills that are used in Soccer and Rugby but not GAA games?

Football (soccer to culchies) - controlling the ball with your feet not your hands, controlling the ball on your chest, heading the ball, timing your runs so as not to go offside, scoring a freekick over a wall of players, etc

Rugby - Kicking an oval ball a long distance so that it touches the ground before it goes out, timing your pass to your inside runner, the offload pass from a tackle, the lineout > directing an arrow straight pass between two lines of players, scrumaging, the drop kick etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement